I lost a 10mm socket under the rear seat!

Guest DervMan

Guest DervMan

I was tinkering with the bike and while putting the front seat back on managed to drop a 10mm socket in the rear sear area. I heard a jingle, ping, clunk as it journeyed into the depths of the bike. I've used a magnet to try and find the socket as I assume it's fallen down near the rear shock area. Anyone here done anything similar and managed to find the bit? My OCD won't let me ignore it knowing it's in there somewhere. I'll probably remove the rear 'inner mudguard' to see if I can find it.

Andy m

Huge nut, string, big blob of grease, go fishing. You've only got to get it out of where its lodged and back into freefall.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Guest DervMan
13 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Huge nut, string, big blob of grease, go fishing. You've only got to get it out of where its lodged and back into freefall.

Andy

Oh interesting.... I tried a magnet but that didn’t work out so well. I’ll give the grease a try. 

Thanks. 👍🏻

stephenmcg

I lost the spring that holds the rear seat up.

packed bar with washers to replace lost spring

works well

smcg in sunny glasgow

Brigante7

Trade the bike in, save yourself the hassle and worry if you can't find it.

Brigante7.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sigh 1
Guest DervMan
Just now, Brigante7 said:

Trade the bike in, save yourself the hassle and worry if you can't find it.

Brigante7.

I've only had it a month! Plus I'd still be wondering where the socket is......

Tonyj

Buy another socket . 👍

• Like 3
embee

It's someone's law. A dropped spanner will always fall where it will do most harm.

….. just saying …...

Guest DervMan
Just now, Tonyj said:

Buy another socket . 👍

LOL, I have other 10mm sockets, it's the fact I don't know where it is that's bugging me!

Tonyj

Life's  mystery

Tex

The son’s 675R is hiding a rear petrol tank mounting rubber somewhere about it’s person. No chance of finding that sod with a magnet!

• Haha 1

Steve, it probably ended up in the same place as my Allen key, here.....

Guest machinman
11 hours ago, Wilco said:

I fell in the frunk once, took me 6 bloody days to get out.

Good luck with the hunt.

Pesky frunk, should come with a warning. You were lucky.😁

Guest DervMan
10 hours ago, CFB said:

Steve, it probably ended up in the same place as my Allen key, here.....

Wow I'm impressed! I fear I might be doing the same if a magnet or grease doesn't work :-o

It was more to give you an idea of where it probably ended up Steve, but I know that "Is it going to fall out and do major damage" feeling.

Good luck with your search.

Foxy
49 minutes ago, CFB said:

It was more to give you an idea of where it probably ended up Steve, but I know that "Is it going to fall out and do major damage" feeling.

Good luck with your search.

Clive, in your game not surprised you needed to find it. FOD springs to mind :D:D

I dropped a screw under the seat of my BMW K1 a few hours before I was due to catch a ferry some years ago. After an hour searching for it I found it inside the alternator.If I had started the engine all hell would have let loose. My advice is find it for your own peace of mind. Good luck.

Trev
16 hours ago, Andy m said:

Andy

You can't beat a huge, greasy nut :thumbsup:

Someone had to say it, I'll get my coat :bye:

• Haha 1
Andy m

Absolutely, beating your nuts makes you go blind.

Now has anyone seen my glasses?

Andy

• Haha 2
michael

My first VFR had 2 washers placed under the front mounting tabs of the gas tank.

So one unscrews the bolts (unbolts the screws?), lifts the tank and the two washers zip away, make a tinkling sound as they find their way into.......blackness. 

Easy enough, find two correctly sized washers and re-install the tank bolts (after replacing the air filter).

Next service, try as I might not to lose another two washers, my mechanical skills improve and only one washer disappears into the blackness.  That's three washers I've lost, never to be found again.

Then I saw at the local tool shop an expandable (imagine a 1970 Corsica with an expandable radio antenna) light with a magnet on the end.  Extra primo good.

Getting it home I started peering into dark recesses of the engine. The valley of the "V," in between the cylinder banks gives up 7 washers to the magnet.

Seven?

I only lost three.......

• Haha 3
neil700

Take it for a short  ride and park it up at home. Next morning look on the floor and good chance it is there. Worked twice for me now ..