First service costs - x-adv

Guest Hecky Fuoco

Guest Hecky Fuoco

Hello all,

I appreciate that service costs will differ from dealer to dealer, and was just wishing to gauge people’s experiences and costs incurred with the first service. On another note, has anyone opted for the Honda service plan? What were your experiences?

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/warranty/your-service-plan.html

The new bike is an 18 plate x-adv, with the first service being engine oil, engine oil filter and clutch oil filter.

Cheers,

Jonathan

gonzo

Jonathan, I have a 17 plate manual, Mines going in next week for the yearly service (only done 2500 miles) They said about £100, ! The same as its 600 miles service I had last year, never gone down the service plan route,. iv always thought it was an expensive deal, I could be wrong,.!!

Rocker66
26 minutes ago, skorpion said:

The Honda service plan seems very expensive to me unless you cover over 16000 miles in the first 27 months, that the plan lasts.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/warranty/your-service-plan.html

I think that it aimed at people doing that sort of mileage. If you add the cost of your plan to a finance deal it adds very little to the monthly payments and avoids a big bill come service time. It’s a bit like paying energy bills by direct debit thus spreading the cost over a year rather than having a big bill every quarter.

• Like 1
Ciaran

I paid for the service plan and do WAY less miles. Simply I had the money to do it outright and wouldnt have to find the money later down the line so I decided it was worth it. Plus the fixed price servicing meant the three services would have cost £650 without inflation rather than the £600 i paid.

• Like 1
stephenmcg

I read the link

there is an interesting note on valve clearance check

the check is included but not the cost of adjustment if needed.

also

is does the cost cover 3 services and the initial 600 mile one?

smcg in glorious glasgow

You get the 600 mile service and two more if you do the mileage before your 27 months is up which is why Skorpion mentioned 16,000 miles. If you don't need a second major service within 27 months it's a very expensive contract. Oh, you'll also blow £35 on a "setup fee" mentioned in the pdf.

Andy m
30 minutes ago, elbee said:

If you don't need a second major service within 27 months it's a very expensive contract. Oh, you'll also blow £35 on a "setup fee" mentioned in the pdf.

This was the only extra they tried to sell me on the CB. Am I also correct that its tied to both you and the bike? Sell at 15000 miles/26 months and its ended?  If I was a commuter without the means to DIY I'd sign up, but other than that it seems a bit one sided. If you aren't sure,you could put the money in 12 or 24 month bank bond and know it'll be there at the end

Andy

• Like 1
Rocker66
32 minutes ago, Andy m said:

This was the only extra they tried to sell me on the CB. Am I also correct that its tied to both you and the bike? Sell at 15000 miles/26 months and its ended?  If I was a commuter without the means to DIY I'd sign up, but other than that it seems a bit one sided. If you aren't sure,you could put the money in 12 or 24 month bank bond and know it'll be there at the end

Andy

Honda web site clearly states that the plan is tied to the bike not the owner so may increase the resale value.

• Like 1
skorpion

For your £599 you basically get your bike looked over (checked)  three oil & filter changes, possibly brake fluid and coolant changed,

but only if you get to the second sevice at 16000 miles within 27 months, everything else you pay extra for.

To me Honda are having a laugh!!

• Like 1
Rocker66
11 minutes ago, skorpion said:

For your £599 you basically get your bike looked over (checked)  three oil & filter changes, possibly brake fluid and coolant changed,

but only if you get to the second sevice at 16000 miles within 27 months, everything else you pay extra for.

To me Honda are having a laugh!!

Surely the answer is simple just do the sums. If you are a high mileage rider and you want to spread the cost the plan could be for youbut  if you are not going to be doing the miles then don't buy the plan nobody is holding a gun to your head the choice is yours.

• Like 1
skorpion
10 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Surely the answer is simple just do the sums. If you are a high mileage rider and you want to spread the cost the plan could be for youbut  if you are not going to be doing the miles then don't buy the plan nobody is holding a gun to your head the choice is yours.

Have done the sums.

HONDA HAVING A LAUGH.

Rocker66
1 minute ago, skorpion said:

Have done the sums.

HONDA HAVING A LAUGH.

In your opinion. I know some high mileage riders that have added the plan to their finance to spread the cost and are quite happy with it.

Just because it doesn’t suit your situation doesn’t mean it’s wrong for everyone.

• Like 2
skorpion
21 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

In your opinion. I know some high mileage riders that have added the plan to their finance to spread the cost and are quite happy with it.

Just because it doesn’t suit your situation doesn’t mean it’s wrong for everyone.

Yes and they are now paying interest on top of the £599 some people have more money than sense.

In my opinion there is no way the service plan is value for money on this bike, even if it was for a full 36 month's £200 per year is expensive for oil changes.

• Like 1
Tex

Honda, just like every manufacturer of everything, is in business to make money. The service plan is another tool in their box that allows them to sell bikes and cars. Some (not all) customers prefer to have their running costs covered ‘up front’. Do they have ‘more money than sense’? Possibly. But the same can be said for anyone who buys a brand new bike or car! Some things just cost. And if you want the feeling of buying new you pay the price. Same with a service plan. Folks don’t need lectures on how to spend/waste their money. ;) 

• Thanks 1
Ciaran
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Honda, just like every manufacturer of everything, is in business to make money. The service plan is another tool in their box that allows them to sell bikes and cars. Some (not all) customers prefer to have their running costs covered ‘up front’. Do they have ‘more money than sense’? Possibly. But the same can be said for anyone who buys a brand new bike or car! Some things just cost. And if you want the feeling of buying new you pay the price. Same with a service plan. Folks don’t need lectures on how to spend/waste their money. ;) 

Very much why I bought it. I’m both lazy and practically inept plus I want the Honda service history in the book when it comes to the end of the PCP. I mean, yes I’m overpaying for the services but crescent added heated grips, the top box, centre stand and knuckle guard for free. *shrug* I am more than happy to pay over the odds for convenience.

• Like 3

The pricing does seem a little excessive, but as Rocker says it depends on the sort of mileage you do. For my paltry mileage it's a complete waste of time, but for others it just might tempt them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
skorpion
6 hours ago, Tex said:

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as lecturing.

The Honda service schedule needs to be carefully looked at prior to purchase of the service plan,  it's not like checking power/water utility's on a comparison web site.

It's a bit of a eye opener to find you only get two oil filter changes in 16000 miles not three, and the rest is mostly checks that the owner would/should do on a regular basis,

this is a simple bike to look after, check with an independant for service costs, so I stand by my opinion that on this particular bike Honda are having a laugh.

I have a service contract for my car 36 months for far less than £500, including all ecu updates, & addblue refill, on a far more technical vehicle.

• Like 1
Rocker66
6 minutes ago, skorpion said:

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as lecturing.

The Honda service schedule needs to be carefully looked at prior to purchase of the service plan,  it's not like checking power/water utility's on a comparison web site.

It's a bit of a eye opener to find you only get two oil filter changes in 16000 miles not three, and the rest is mostly checks that the owner would/should do on a regular basis,

this is a simple bike to look after, check with an independant for service costs, so I stand by my opinion that on this particular bike Honda are having a laugh.

I have a service contract for my car 36 months for far less than £500, including all ecu updates, & addblue refill, on a far more technical vehicle.

Fair enough but please don’t suggest that people are stupid or wrong if they decide that the plan suits them. Their money their choice.. As tomservicing there are some like me who have no interest in servicing their bikes and have complete trust in their Honda dealer  so kid they are happy paying for the dealer to service their bike why not..

BTW your first sentence is basically saying the same as I said do the sums and if it suits you buy the plan if it doesn’t then don’t. 

• Like 1
Foxy

Now, now boys people are only giving advice, as the Scousers say carm down.

Tex

I do find Honda’s pricing policy a little strange. The single cylinder SH300 or Neo Sports Café costs the same as a V-TEC VFR.. 

But, as has been said, it’s the individual’s choice. Peace and love, boys, peace and love. :) 

• Like 1
renners

The forum is based on one persons oppinion whether someone agrees or dissagrees thats their oppinion not everyone who says something is insulting another person maybe if we keep finding thats what they feel is happening you have to ask yourself if forums are for you.

I agree Honda along with many mainstream dealers rip customers off but hey ho the beauty is we can vote with our feet and find someone cheaper, my oppinion.

• Like 1
Rocker66
8 minutes ago, renners said:

The forum is based on one persons oppinion whether someone agrees or dissagrees thats their oppinion not everyone who says something is insulting another person maybe if we keep finding thats what they feel is happening you have to ask yourself if forums are for you.

I agree Honda along with many mainstream dealers rip customers off but hey ho the beauty is we can vote with our feet and find someone cheaper, my oppinion.

I don’t think anyone is saying that you shouldn’t vote with your feet and wallet if your not happy with the service you get from your dealer or any other business for that matter. That is exactly we along with others travel to a dealer we like/trust rather than use local ones.

My gripe was somebody telling others how to spend their money. For instance it’s well documented that I have said I would never buy another new Yamaha but I would never dream of telling somebody that they shouldn’t or would be stupid to do so.

MikeBike

To help people judge I spent over the first 27 months on servicing (from March 2015)

600:   £75.00

8000: £132.58

16000: £556.12 (included £30 front pads and fitting, and adjusting all valves) so say around £450

So total about £660 and I did almost exactly 16k in 27 months.

It could have saved me maybe 10% but at the risk I wouldn't have made the big 16k service in time.

I wouldn't go for it. Considerations: Being certain I'd be doing a high mileage, keeping the bike the whole time. if the bike was written off I'd say it was lost money too. You also lose any interest on the capital.