First service costs - x-adv

Guest Hecky Fuoco

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

To help people judge I spent over the first 27 months on servicing (from March 2015)

600:   £75.00

8000: £132.58

16000: £556.12 (included £30 front pads and fitting, and adjusting all valves) so say around £450

So total about £660 and I did almost exactly 16k in 27 months.

It could have saved me maybe 10% but at the risk I wouldn't have made the big 16k service in time.

I wouldn't go for it. Considerations: Being certain I'd be doing a high mileage, keeping the bike the whole time. if the bike was written off I'd say it was lost money too. You also lose any interest on the capital.

That’s fair comment if your not sure of your likely mileage but some people will know for sure whether they are likely to do the mileage or not especially if they use the bike mainly for a regular commute. As I said it is just a case of doing the maths and deciding if it is worthwhile for your circumstances or not.

TheEnglishman
On 26/05/2018 at 09:00, Hecky Fuoco said:

....with the first service being engine oil, engine oil filter and clutch oil filter.

If you go to a proper garage the first service is way more than just an oil and 2 filter change.  It should include things like is the chain tension correct; is anything loose or too tight(head bearings, brake bolts and the like);  Is everything working as expected(lights, horn and such); does it ride ok(clutch ok - gearbox as expected - does it do around corners like it should) etc etc  

Of course this takes time and therefore costs money.  Which many seem surprised at.

Quite why people think a service is just an oil change is beyond me.

Edited by TheEnglishman
  • Like 2
Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, TheEnglishman said:

If you go to a proper garage the first service is way more than just an oil and 2 filter change.  It should include things like is the chain tension correct; is anything loose or too tight(head bearings, brake bolts and the like);  Is everything working as expected(lights, horn and such); does it ride ok(clutch ok - gearbox as expected - does it do around corners like it should) etc etc  

Of course this takes time and therefore costs money.  Which many seem surprised at.

Quite why people think a service is just an oil change is beyond me.

It would be nice to think that the dealer did all that but I have my doubts, I wish I didn't  then I would be happy to pay:unsure:. I, like Rocker, prefer riding  more than servicing but I have a shortage of cash and a nagging doubt  about the quality of work from my local dealer.   

• Like 1