old commuter

Best jacket £200

old commuter

Looking at the IXS Eagle but before I spend such a large amount of money does anybody have experience of other jackets in this price bracket. Oxford, Weiss etc. So many jackets it is hard to decide. I liked the IXS.

Tex

I have no experience of the IXS, matey, but Weiss products punch well above their weight (price) normally. Keep an eye out for stuff that is recommended by RIDE magazine, they award ‘Best Buy’ and ‘Recommend’ labels to kit that has performed well in comparison testing.

• Like 1

MikeBike
1 hour ago, old commuter said:

Looking at the IXS Eagle but before I spend such a large amount of money does anybody have experience of other jackets in this price bracket. Oxford, Weiss etc. So many jackets it is hard to decide. I liked the IXS.

Did you lose the thread below?

arengle

I use Weiss for commuting, and had 2 previously from them but this year when I got the 3rd something change. My size is XL and the previous 2 fitted perfectly but this year when I tried XL was tight, I tried XXL the jacket fitted well at shoulders but the sleeve were long and very slim, i think with the thermal installed my arms will not fit inside the sleeves. Not sure what Weiss do but I think they change from european to asiatic cuts. If you want weiss try it before you buy it or at least get an online shop that will accept returns, like sportsbikeshop.

old commuter
2 hours ago, MikeBike said:

Did you lose the thread below?

No I had an afterthought to see what other jackets people had used. I like the IXS Eagle. Incidentally have found it much cheaper on the FC moto site. Think I will go into J and S to try on and get the size but then save about £50 by getting from FC moto. There is also a site Moto then that had goretex IXS jackets for £190. Trouble is L M and 4xl and I an 2 to 3 XX. Just my luck!!

Thanks for replying

old commuter
3 hours ago, Tex said:

I have no experience of the IXS, matey, but Weiss products punch well above their weight (price) normally. Keep an eye out for stuff that is recommended by RIDE magazine, they award ‘Best Buy’ and ‘Recommend’ labels to kit that has performed well in comparison testing.

Thanks Tex. its really complicated knowing which way to jump in this price bracket, there is so much to choose from.

old commuter

Well at the risk of being boring and based on what the really kind folk on here have said, I have narrowed down to 4 jackets

Oxford Oslo

Alpinestars Andes

IXS Eagle

Weisse Seattle

There was a really good value IXS goretex from a German site - £190. Not my size 1 size too big. Pity.

Will now try these in shops and then order online as the savings are huge.

Thanks

suffolk58
2 hours ago, arengle said:

I use Weiss for commuting, and had 2 previously from them but this year when I got the 3rd something change. My size is XL and the previous 2 fitted perfectly but this year when I tried XL was tight, I tried XXL the jacket fitted well at shoulders but the sleeve were long and very slim, i think with the thermal installed my arms will not fit inside the sleeves. Not sure what Weiss do but I think they change from european to asiatic cuts. If you want weiss try it before you buy it or at least get an online shop that will accept returns, like sportsbikeshop.

Just a thought Adrian.....have you (like me) just got back from an all inclusive holiday?

I got back yesterday, and put the bike gear on this morning, and found both the trousers and jacket have "shrunk".

• Haha 3

old commuter

Always the case :)

arengle
13 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

Just a thought Adrian.....have you (like me) just got back from an all inclusive holiday?

I got back yesterday, and put the bike gear on this morning, and found both the trousers and jacket have "shrunk".

:)) for sure not

kayz1

Have a look in the J&S sale stock.

Lyn.

Wedgepilot

I've got a Weiss leather jacket that I'm very pleased with. The quality is good and the price was very reasonable. 

old commuter

Thanks everyone. One thing I have noticed in my search - F.C. Moto and similar retailers abroad sell the same gear way cheaper than U.K. - why is this. Weiss, Oxford IXS savings of £50 plus not sure I am happy at that. Asked j and s about it and they said they had a loyal fan base and sizes are different?

Tex

They have a loyal customer base so can charge what they like?! ;) 

Basically Britain is still a wealthy country (might not feel like it to us..) and prices reflect that. Look at Urban Rider in London, leather jackets at £1,000 + fly off the shelves. Haven’t heard they’re going to open a branch in Dubrovnik or Bucharest though..

Go to any motorcycle gathering here and clock the amount of Rukka suits (jacket £1200, pants £800) being worn..

In the UK 🇬🇧 Ohlins shocks for my Bonnie are about £900. Mine came from Italy 🇮🇹 for under £600 including shipping. Why? I imagine it’s because Italian Bonnie owners will only pay that much! :) 

A simplistic view? Probably (I’m a simple bloke!) and there’s likely more to it than just that, but it’s a good part of it. 

• Like 2

DaveM59
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tex said:

Basically Britain is still a wealthy country (might not feel like it to us..)......

Go to any motorcycle gathering here and clock the amount of Rukka suits (jacket £1200, pants £800) being worn..

Was wealthy... how many are new and how many are many years old?

If you remember at the Ladybower meet the other week, someone commented that nearly all of us were in RST gear. A relatively budget brand in comparison.

Personally I like RST and Spada for hitting a good quality to price point. Never had a dud one from either brand. The number of pockets and where they are usually dictates choice for me. No matter how good a jacket is, if the pockets are inadequate it's useless. A jacket has to have a napoleon pocket outside the main inner zip for petrol stations, another inside for mobile but not in the inner lining, or you lose it in Summer when you take the winter liner out. It's surprisingly difficult to find out from websites how many and where pockets are also the cuff fastenings and how the inner linings attach. Some are incredibly awkward to get back in and also almost useless as they are so thin. A lot of manufacturers do not state the weight of the liner or the thermal efficiency which is a prime selling point I would have thought.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 1

Tex

Ahhh, yes, you have a point (about the NC crowd wearing RST) but there was also some Klim stuff in evidence.. And NC owners tend towards the ‘budget’ end of things, that’s why they’re NC owners. The best selling bike in the UK for donkey’s years has been the 1200 GS and not many of those get ridden in RST..

Maybe I just don’t notice the hordes of budget gear owners in the crowd at Brands and it’s the few in posh frocks that stand out? But, either way, I still think we get charged what the market will bear. 

• Like 1

Mr Toad
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Ahhh, yes, you have a point (about the NC crowd wearing RST) but there was also some Klim stuff in evidence.. And NC owners tend towards the ‘budget’ end of things, that’s why they’re NC owners. The best selling bike in the UK for donkey’s years has been the 1200 GS and not many of those get ridden in RST..

Maybe I just don’t notice the hordes of budget gear owners in the crowd at Brands and it’s the few in posh frocks that stand out? But, either way, I still think we get charged what the market will bear. 

I fall somewhere in the middle. Today I've been out in my Klim jacket, Spada gloves and RST jeans :) 

For the cold wet weather I have an IXS Gore-Tex suit that works really well and is both warm and dry, however, even with the liner out it's a bit too warm for summer riding. I think the same comment applies to clothing as it does to screens. You can spend a small fortune looking for the perfect gear and never find it.

Dave has a thing about pockets, something many of us would agree with, nobody like removing gloves and delving in the depths of a jacket for your wallet at service stations or for tolls. That said too many useful pockets, or summer vents for that matter,  can bring problems in that they are just potential points of failure for the waterproofing.  

Rocker66

Having once had my wallet stolen whilst trying to,get past a group of youths I now prefer my wallet to be as far inside my jacket as possible.

lipsee
On 6/3/2018 at 08:30, old commuter said:

Thanks everyone. One thing I have noticed in my search - F.C. Moto and similar retailers abroad sell the same gear way cheaper than U.K. - why is this. Weiss, Oxford IXS savings of £50 plus not sure I am happy at that. Asked j and s about it and they said they had a loyal fan base and sizes are different?

I am a customer of FCmoto..and yeah they are cheap,,, but be wary!!! Get your size Right,,no if or buts ,Cos if you have to send back then its gonna cost YOU. I like Sportsbike shop,,it being local to me...

Black Marauder

Just to add my opinion, before I went into Goretex only gear, found Weise gear, fit & sizing suited me best at a reasonable price & fairly sure they were U.K. branded which also pleased me when choosing other possible brands at the time. 

lazlo woodbine

I have a friend who works in the  trade and he said that RST made their reputation by actually looking after their customers:huh:. His shop and many more stock them because RST replace defective items immediately without any quibble. He said the rep would call and take away any problem items and replace them. For a lot of other  brands the process was a long drawn out hassle. 

Black Marauder

Just to add...RST DO seem to offer the options in Long & Short sizes , which can improve the fit .

• Like 1

MikeBike

My experience is if you shop in Germany or Switzerland the large retailers (e.g. Polo, Louis) have a range of long, standard and sizes to chose from from a range of brands (Dainese, Held, FLM, Polo, Probiker) and very well stocked regional shops. In the UK we just seem to get standard sizes (RST exception noted) . I know I take a long size trouser as in the standard size my knee is pushing in the knee armour and dragging the back down as well so it's just pointless looking here.

old commuter

Thanks for the advice. It seems IXS, RST, Weiss, Armr Moto, Oxford all get the nod. Think I will be ok with the one that feels best. 

Walklikegump

I need to get new gear so this thread is interesting. My current jacket and trousers are ill fitting . ( Frank Thomas sold cheap at a show and Aldi pants)  .  I need to find somewhere that keeps a full range.