Jump to content
old commuter

Best jacket £200

Recommended Posts

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

 

 

Very curious about this. how successfully 'waterproof' are the over jackets? I've an enormous parker type thing I wear in winter which I think is actually a snowboarding jacket made by IXS. Lovely thing, armoured and everything but it's so huge I become a sort of motorcycling moose while using it. I'm thinking a waterproof over my airflow stuff for Autumn would be wiser.

 

I've not often had to use mine, but last year after fine weather for the whole holiday in Spain and Portugal I encountered torrential rain for the last 100 miles to Eurotunnel.  The only thing that got slightly wet was my right foot, and I later found that was due to some damage which had resulted in ripped leather on the top of my boot. Got it very nicely patched at the local Timpsons for £19 which saved me £200+ for new boots.

 

To be fair my bike (R1200 GS) with larger aftermarket screen and sticky out cylinders provides a lot of weather protection, and I might not have fared so well on a naked bike.

 

 

Edited by fred_jb

Share this post


Link to post
fred_jb

In case it is useful to anyone this is the kit I have:

 

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/adrenaline-waterproof-mens-iso-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx/Yellow/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GB+Whoop+-+All+Products+-+Desktop+-+SHOPPING+UK&utm_term=&utm_content=s|pcrid|249777979188|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|016782053004|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14yrkMvW3AIVA-AbCh2AGAAEEAQYASABEgLJbPD_BwE

 

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/trousers-c36/berghaus-mens-deluge-pant-p1432

 

Other suppliers available!

 

I often wear the jacket for warmth over my summer gear if the weather turns cool or I have to ride at night as it keeps the wind out very effectively. Obviously you need to size jacket and trousers appropriately depending on what gear you want them to fit over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
1 hour ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Very curious about this. how successfully 'waterproof' are the over jackets? I've an enormous parker type thing I wear in winter which I think is actually a snowboarding jacket made by IXS. Lovely thing, armoured and everything but it's so huge I become a sort of motorcycling moose while using it. I'm thinking a waterproof over my airflow stuff for Autumn would be wiser.

 

Mine are very waterproof. I have a mountain warehouse cycling jacket which has only let a bit in during three and a half hours of biblical deluge (we really were half expecting Noah to go past in the outside lane!) and that through the hole my head goes through from run off from my helmet (stop sniggering at the back there).

 

I also have Berghaus Gortex Paclite walking over trousers (same as Fred) and they just don't leak. I reproof the top every autumn with Nicwax wash in waterproof treatment and that seems to be enough to keep it dry inside. The trousers are not cheap, between £62 and £99, depending where you shop, but they do have very long leg zips, which makes getting them on and off easy. The top cost £30:00 in a sale about 5 years ago, is Hi-viz yellow and still going strong. It's not Gortex. It is a size up so it fits over my leathers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
White Skark

I tend to agree with you all, a light weight protected air tex jacket and waterproofs. I use a Brosh Kevlar lined light Jacket and Brosh waterproof which are lined and 100% waterproof. They are also good as Fred says to keep you warm on chilly days. Regardless of the weather here it was always my kit for touring on the continent.

Share this post


Link to post
Trev
46 minutes ago, White Skark said:

I tend to agree with you all, a light weight protected air tex jacket and waterproofs. I use a Brosh Kevlar lined light Jacket and Brosh waterproof which are lined and 100% waterproof. They are also good as Fred says to keep you warm on chilly days. Regardless of the weather here it was always my kit for touring on the continent.

 

ooh I do like a piece of kit made by someone I've never heard of and can't seem to find a place to buy it from, the more exclusive the better :D

 

Joking apart, a quick goggle and their stuff looks pretty impressive, apart from ordering from the US, any idea how I can get hold of it?

Share this post


Link to post
SlasherMCT

I obtained a barely used but 4 year old Spidi H2OUT Textile 2 piece suit from a friend.   The suit has plenty of protective inserts and lots of airflow zippers as well as plenty of pockets.  It has been great although the leggings are a bit hot in the recent heatwave so I used Oxford biking jeans.   
The suit has winter liners, the lining jacket is also waterproof (claimed not proven)

 

On the ride back from Wales I was in a downpour for about 30 minutes and the jacket leaked around the chest and my stomach which was disappointing but not terribly surprising.  Too many openings I guess.  Leggings worked well.  I guess the suggestion to use a windbreaker over the top could help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
baben

I used to do the layer thing till I bought my Klim jacket (cheap, end of range). Now I open the vents if I am too warm. In winter I put on my heated inner jacket. Job done. Warm as toast regardless of conditions. And the Klim is completely waterproof - doesn't get soggy - rain just runs off it. Wonderful stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
old commuter

Tried the Weise Baltimore Jacket and the Technology works, the liner kept me at the right temperature for my 80 mile round trip. Some rain but that was shrugged off. Well pleased. Not tried the Seattle trousers yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
White Skark
On 8/8/2018 at 22:25, Trev said:

ooh I do like a piece of kit made by someone I've never heard of and can't seem to find a place to buy it from, the more exclusive the better :D

 

Joking apart, a quick goggle and their stuff looks pretty impressive, apart from ordering from the US, any idea how I can get hold of it?

Brosh gear comes from Isreal not USA, there is no duty to pay as they have a free trade agreement with the EU Trev.

There service is excellent, I had to return something for an exchange no problem.

I have been using it for years, even came off the bike with it on, it all staid intact, because of the Kevlar lining.

Edited by White Skark

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×