goldfish

Any problems sticking a camera to a polycarb lid?

goldfish

I know all about the sage advice from yesteryear about not putting stickers on a polycarb lid - but does this still hold true? Specifically, I'm about to change my lid and see that some of the polycarb lids get 5* sharp ratings, great reviews and are wallet friendly. I've always had fibreglass lids but if I take the plunge I need to remount my camera on the new lid. The mount is simply stuck on with an amazingly sticky pad but I've no idea what the adhesive is (3M? who knows). I've found that the manufacturers websites are really unhelpful with the advice that composite (whatever that actually is) is fine to stick cameras to.

So does the old advice still hold true? Has anyone mounted a camera on a polycarb lid? Any problems?

ScooterCommuter

I've had a camera on 2 polycarbonate helmets with no problems. Pretty sure it was the 3m pads on both. I was a bit paranoid so clamped the pads on overnight to make sure they stuck firmly but I think this was overkill. 

arengle

yes you can stick, just clean the area and stick the pad and you will be fine. the manufactures will never tell you that you can stick a camera to the helmet because anything that stick out from the helmet in case of a crash can catch and will force the helmet to rotate and give you serious injuries ... so if you really want a camera on the helmet you can do it

Andy m

No problems at all. There is nothing special about the graphics the helmet manufacturers use. Health and safety legislation years back pretty much killed combinations of chemicals that reacted with each other.

Andy

goldfish

Thanks guys. I pretty much expected that there shouldn't be any particular issue but its always good to get some opinions based on experience. My camera is a small bullet jobbie so less likely to be an impact issue compared with some other devices (as a certain Mr Schumacher would know).

Morph

FortNine did a great vid recently on selecting lids and other gear, specifically about content of the marketing spiel vs reality.  Not sure if you have already bought, seen it, have the budget... but:

• Like 3

goldfish

Great vid, not seen it before. Had me laughing.....

embee

Really good presentation in the vid, wouldn't argue with anything he said. So many youtube jockeys make the mistake of repeating everything over and over, this was slick and entertaining.