Mirror replacement

Guest AceTallPaul

Guest AceTallPaul

I was very proud of myself today.  I bought a turntable from the auction site, so no more reversing into the garage etc - ride down, spin on centre stand and good to go.

Sadly, I positioned it slightly wrong and managed to bring the garage door down onto the wing mirror, which promptly cracked in 3 places. :doh:

Has anyone replaced their mirror?  Is it easy to do, or better to take to dealer....?

I don't have a garage full of mechanics tools, so anything that is beyond a spanner or two is probably beyond me....

tnx

Defender

Sorry to hear that, it does happen though.

I've not replaced a mirror on an NC, but, most bike with this type of mirror are easy as they screw into the handlebar fitting and then once positioned have a lock nut to hold it there.

You might get away with replacing the glass alone, if you can get the glass out then a glass supplier should be able to cut a new one for you.

Getting the new one is the tricky bit though.

Easy to do with just the tools in the toolkit.

Just remember that the left hand mirror has a left hand thread.

Part numbers here...

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-71520-71520-NC750XAE-2014-F_03-NC+750+X+ABS.html

£40.75 each. This site is managed by Dobles in Colsden so you could ring them instead.

Edited by CFB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Graham NZ

That both mirrors are left-hand threaded caused me to wonder when my bike was delivered with them folded back.

arengle

I think replacing mirror is the easiest thing that you can do on a bike, just slide up the rubber and you will see 2 nuts, unscrew the top one and then rotate the mirror (is reverse thread) and you will get it out.

and if you get new mirror, then maybe will be useful to get ones with longer arms to have better visibility behind

Edited by arengle
  • Like 1
embee

Easiest thing probably just replace the whole mirror. The auction site usually has some, for example item 322948996726 is for a pair at £40 or offer, probably get them for a bit over £30. Others available.

As others have said, DO check the thread direction, IIRC the one on the mirror stalk is left hand, the adapter into the lever casting is right hand (on BOTH mirrors), but that's from memory so check.

Don't know if all model years are the same, you can check part numbers at https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

Edited by embee
Graham NZ

Both sides on my '14 S are left hand threaded where they screw into the alloy mounting.

• Thanks 1
Guest AceTallPaul

Thanks all, ordered the part as mentioned by Clive above, and it arrived today. Was as easy to fit as described. 

I was taking king it out of the garage after fitting the new mirror to clean it.  Rolled it off the centre stand and promptly dropped it!  Luckily the garage wall was in the way, and that stopped it - although not before the side stand took a chunk out of my leg...  I thought I’d smashed the other mirror, but the plastic only scratched. Next time, I’ll sit on it when I take it off the stand...!

Thanks for all all the help.