Exhaust gasket-Replace or not?

djsb

Just removed the exhaust silencer and I have a new gasket (stuck on the end of the pipe in the photo). The original one is still on the pipe and I'm assuming it's wider than the OEM gasket because it has melted due to the heat (as it's probably designed to in order to maintain a seal). 

It appears that I have to cut the original gasket off the end of the pipe clean up the pipe and slip the new gasket on. It probably makes sense to run the engine and get the exhaust hot and retighten the clamp again. Is this the right way of doing it?

NC750X_EXHAUST_GASKET_small.jpg

1 hour ago, djsb said:

Just removed the exhaust silencer and I have a new gasket (stuck on the end of the pipe in the photo). The original one is still on the pipe and I'm assuming it's wider than the OEM gasket because it has melted due to the heat (as it's probably designed to in order to maintain a seal). 

It appears that I have to cut the original gasket off the end of the pipe clean up the pipe and slip the new gasket on. It probably makes sense to run the engine and get the exhaust hot and retighten the clamp again. Is this the right way of doing it?

NC750X_EXHAUST_GASKET_small.jpg

IIRC it is a graphite type material. I must confess to never having changed one, just slipped the can back over the old one.

Never had any leaks though.

BTW, I think I recognise that tarmac under the bike.

B......don Court if I'm not mistaken?

29 minutes ago, CFB said:

IIRC it is a graphite type material. I must confess to never having changed one, just slipped the can back over the old one.

Never had any leaks though.

BTW, I think I recognise that tarmac under the bike.

B......don Court if I'm not mistaken?

:thumbsup:

My daughter lives in the block overlooking your bike.