Indicator problem

Guest Alexandros

Guest Alexandros

Hi. My NC750DCT had just developed a fault with its indicators. The rear ones seem to be working ok but the front flash but both are really really dim and can't be seen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

SteveThackery

Sounds like an earth connection has come adrift.  They share a common earth wire (coloured green) back to "Junction G", wherever that is.

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 1
Guest Alexandros

Thanks Steve. That could affect just the fronts? I was wondering if it might be the flasher relay? I'm hopeless with electrics! :ermm: When it first happened it seemed like something was flashing from inside the headlamp cluster.

SteveThackery
7 minutes ago, Alexandros said:

Thanks Steve. That could affect just the fronts? I was wondering if it might be the flasher relay? I'm hopeless with electrics! :ermm: When it first happened it seemed like something was flashing from inside the headlamp cluster.

From looking at the wiring diagram, the rears have a different earth wire, but still going back to Junction G.

Weird effects like other lights coming on dimly are classic indicators of a faulty earth.

I'm hoping someone with actual practical experience of the NC wiring will join in soon.  I'm just looking at the wiring diagram.

Guest Alexandros

Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time. Hopefully someone will chip in. Do you think if I treasure the light cluster off and try to check to loose connections it might help? I'm not really sure how these things are earthed. 

Defender

As Steve has said earthing faults cause strange things to happen, only tonight I was following a van that every time the brake lights came on so did the reversing lights very dimly.

embee

When you get earth faults it usually ends up earthing through another lamp so you have 2 in series

In simple terms this ends up with 2 very dim lamps instead of one bright one

2 the same halves the current and quarters the power in each (simplified)