macamx

Yesterday F750GS Tomorrow Triumph T100.

macamx
Posted (edited)

Yesterday had a ride up to the local BMW for a quick gander at the "new" F750GS. Aesthetically I found it to be a bit challenged. The front end especially struck me as if they had a fixed amount of bodywork to use up and it was too much. They had worked from the rear to the front of the bike and all the excess (and it was considerable) had to be used up on the front end. The standard bike is £9,200 but you can buy lot's and lot's oh high-cost BMW accessories such as the best part of a grand for the "comfort pack" which presumably you need to correct the "uncomfortable" standard machine. The bike statically felt very stodgy compared to the 500X, the service intervals are 6,000 miles and the costs are "about" £200 (in BMW speak "about" means up to £500). Offered a test ride but at £1,000 excess I politely declined and went on my merry way on the X.

Tomorrow we try the Triumph T100, Used to be a big fan of the air-cooled Bonnevilles but left cold by the Street Twin, but let's see. Clear leader so far Moto Guzzi V7 111.

Geoff.

Edited by macamx
  • Like 1

Tex

Cool. I hope you enjoy the T100. I find mine delightful in many ways (and I have very quickly worked through the bits I didn’t like ;) )

10K service intervals on the Triumph too.

• Like 1

macamx

Biggy for me Tex is the “spoked wheels, inner tube “ paranoia, I know that you got around it so it’s not insurmountable. Still have a little voice in my head saying, Guzzi, Guzzi, Guzzi.

Geoff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

alhendo1

I had a shot of the T100.....very nice bike...beautifully made....lovely engine but the spoked wheels and naked just weren't for me....that being said I can see why they're very popular....very nimble as well....if I could have another bike for fun days then that could well be at  the top of my list.

• Like 1

Tex
1 hour ago, macamx said:

Biggy for me Tex is the “spoked wheels, inner tube “ paranoia, I know that you got around it so it’s not insurmountable. Still have a little voice in my head saying, Guzzi, Guzzi, Guzzi.

Geoff.

Inner tubes? Pah! The dustbin is the best place for those sods.. :D 

I take it you’re looking at the Guzzi ‘Stone’ then? Because the ‘Special’ has tubes (sigh). There’s one called the ‘Milano’ which has the tubeless cast wheels of the Stone and the twin clocks of the Special.. that would be my choice.

I think little voices in your head are best not ignored. You need to buy what you want. Seriously.

Buy the one that makes you smile just looking at it. Buy the one that you’re making excuses to buy not the one you’re making excuses not to buy.. 

• Like 1

Andy m
Posted (edited)

My 2004 Bonneville was one of the ones that snapped spokes which I assume is long cured. The rims were proper TT, so with a centre stand, means to prop the engine (a patient pillion would do) and decent levers you could sort a puncture. The biggest hassle was needing to remove a silencer to get the axle out.  Carry gloop if going to Sainsburys, levers and tubes for St. Petersburg.

I once changed tyres on the Old Boys Nevarida. We used the hacksaw to take them off and a tyre shop to get TT tyres on! Impossible at the roadside.

I'd go for Triumph with the alloys though. My V7 was the TL Stone.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

Tex

And you still have to remove the silencer to get the spindle out (sigh). The penalty one pays for enjoying ‘authentic’ styling. :) 

The spokes no longer break (yay! progress!) but have been known to have patchy plating. My wheels are slathered up with ACF50 and safely stored in the back of the garage until the time comes to re-fit them before sale. 

• Haha 1

macamx

Triumph didn't have a problem with spoke breakages on the air-cooled until they modified the rear hub then the problem they never had went away, amazing.

Geoff.

• Like 1

PoppetM
2 hours ago, Tex said:

10K service intervals on the Triumph too.

Shhh..... I haven’t read that...

31 minutes ago, Tex said:

My wheels are slathered up with ACF50 and safely stored in the back of the garage until the time comes to re-fit them before sale. 

I don’t want to buy those spoked ones 😉

• Like 1

macamx

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear what have I done, out on the T100 for a couple of hours this morning and I am totally smitten by it. The darn thing should be available on prescription. It obviously has some biometric Wi-Fi device which pairs with your emotions and relaxes and soothes you within minutes of setting off on it. My "tubed tyres paranoia" even slipped into the background (but will probably return in the wee small hours).  Its no way near as practical as the 500X, it's way more expensive but it moves emotions and stirs the heart.

Geoff.

• Like 6
  • Sigh 1

Tex

Glad you enjoyed it, Geoff. Mine averages 65 mpg and runs like a watch. Up to about 3.5k rpm it’s the smoothest engine I have ever experienced. Above that it’s perfectly acceptable, but you can start to feel it’s got two 450cc pistons thrashing up and down.

The cheap way to deal with the tubes is sealing the spoke ends with 3M tape. The tyres and rims are already tubeless BTW. Peter (pjm) is thinking of doing his Affy Twin, maybe you could split the cost of a roll of tape?

For me it’s an excellent blend of classic looks and modern practicality. And if I had the brains that God gave a goose I would just settle down and grow old with it. 

• Like 1

macamx

Hi Tex the deal offered is good so going to sleep on it but very very tempted (they need the numbers).  My bike has to live outside but I am very "liberal" with the acf, do you think it will stand up cosmetically.

Geoff.

macamx

Cop a look at this.

• Like 1

Tex

I would pay particular attention to the spokes, Geoff (having heard of some examples with poor plating - probably sorted out on the later bikes). The engine cases aren’t lacquered the way Jap ones are and buff up nicely with a bit of metal polish but, again, I would pay attention to weatherproofing. 

By and large I think it’s the best finished machine I have had for donkey’s years and don’t think it’s going to be a problem. You look after it and it’ll look after you.

Edit: While I was typing you posted the video. It’s by a guy called Marlon Slack, makes a very entertaining vid, eh?

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1

macamx

Thanks, probably going to go for the "Black"  but that need a little more thought.

Once again thanks for your input, most helpful.

Geoff.

• Like 1

Mr Toad

Well I absolutely love my 2009 T100 so the newer ones must be perfect!!! 

It's not without its niggles but they were mainly due to the built to a price problem, the biggest of which was the shocks and they were an easy fix. To be honest my only other complaint is the granite seat.

You know that cliche that four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul? Well the T100 moves my soul every time I ride it, I have no idea what it is about the T100 but for me it just works. My NC is a great bike and I love it but it doesn't have the same whatever the thing the T100 does.

• Like 2

macamx

Slept on it, going for it, T100 here we come. Now just got to tell the wife.

Geoff.

• Like 4
  • Sigh 2

Mr Toad
4 minutes ago, macamx said:

Geoff.

Welcome to the Triumph sub group. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

alhendo1
55 minutes ago, macamx said:

Geoff.

Does that mean we're minus1 on the CB500 sub group or Schism😅

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

chrisl01

I feel I must add my comments here as some of the  initial info on the F 750gs is not accurate

First I have to say that I found it so good I bought one ! , OTR price is £7950 not £9200, a £1200 error on the price.

How on earth you can call a bike with 30bhp over the 500x stodgy I don't know.

Looks are subjective and I think it looks fine.

The ride by wire response and low speed fueling is superb

Road manners are far better than the 750x I have, much better suspension

Build quality is also excellent.

the seat is very comfortable and does not hurl you into the tank like the 750x

I did a 2 hour test ride and thought it one of the best bikes I've ridden in 35 years of motorcycling.

service interval of 10000k is on par with most other 800cc +bikes, when I looked at the Crossrunner the dealer said the service intervals had been reduced to 4K !!

Honda accessories are also well overpriced which is why most of us go for SW motard, Givi etc. etc.

• Like 1

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, chrisl01 said:

I feel I must add my comments here as some of the  initial info on the F 750gs is not accurate

First I have to say that I found it so good I bought one ! , OTR price is £7950 not £9200, a £1200 error on the price.

How on earth you can call a bike with 30bhp over the 500x stodgy I don't know.

Looks are subjective and I think it looks fine.

The ride by wire response and low speed fueling is superb

Road manners are far better than the 750x I have, much better suspension

Build quality is also excellent.

the seat is very comfortable and does not hurl you into the tank like the 750x

I did a 2 hour test ride and thought it one of the best bikes I've ridden in 35 years of motorcycling.

service interval of 10000k is on par with most other 800cc +bikes, when I looked at the Crossrunner the dealer said the service intervals had been reduced to 4K !!

Honda accessories are also well overpriced which is why most of us go for SW motard, Givi etc. etc.

I don’t know what dealer you spoke to but The official Honda service schedule on the Crossrunner is 8000.

Andy m
2 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Welcome to the Triumph sub group. :) 

Splitter!

😁😁😁

Andy

• Haha 2

macamx

The BMW salesman quoted £9,200 so he obviously knew his stuff and stodgy referred to the "static" feel of the bike but what probably shines through is that I dislike BMW and their "smoke and mirrors " operation intensely.  But diverse personal choice is one of the more attractive aspects of our shared interest and I sincerely hope that you enjoy the bike and do not experience any of the nightmares that I encountered wit Big Motoring Worries.

Geoff.

• Like 1

Andy m
37 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I don’t know what dealer you spoke to but The official Honda service schedule on the Crossrunner is 8000.

Padgetts said 6000 on the CB500 when the book says 8. Doesn't inspire confidence does it!

Totally agree about BMW marketing, my experience matches. I bought 5 before realising the pay more/ get more was just marketing. Each to their own of course but after dodgy looms, rotting shocks and load bearing lipseals they now start with a disadvantage when trying to sell me anything too.

Enjoy the Triumph, I certainly enjoyed mine.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

arengle
18 minutes ago, macamx said:

Big Motoring Worries.

wasn't BMW supposed to mean Bring More Wallet ?