Brake light help

dannybegood

dannybegood

Was riding home last night and used the front brake at a point and noticed the rear brake light failed to illuminate. Touched back brake and that worked fine.

Would anybody know what might cause this, fuse or something else and can I , mech. Novice grade 1 troubleshoot the issue or maybe fix it as I’m just not able to get the thing to a garage in the next couple of weeks.

DaveM59

There is a switch on both brake lever pivots on an Integra, one for each brake, and on other models a plunger switch on the footbrake and front lever. Sounds like the front one is duff or a wire has come off. Its a little trigger switch held on with a screw and it just pulls off. It's possible a bit of WD40 might bet it going again until you can get a new one. Try Wemoto or similar although I doubt it's an expensive part, probably a part used on many bikes. Dead easy fix.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Thanks 1
Tonyj

As above wire off or duff switch . Both easy to sort .

dannybegood

Thanks for the prompt replies

Does any of this involve uncliping brake cables or the like, if the case then not easy for me as I have no experience or ability in this sort of thing..

DaveM59

No it's about as simple a job as there is, no other parts to remove.

Listen carefully as you squeeze the lever you should hear the switch click. If not look under the brake reservoir and you can see the plunger on the switch a part of the lever rests against. It's a push to break type and so when released makes the connection, it could just be stuck in, see if you can wiggle it a few times coupled with some WD40 you might not need to do anything else. Worth a try first.

• Like 1
dannybegood

Ok thanks my first port of call

switch clicks, looked around the blade of the connector was out. Reattached and working though loose so maybe not fully in, will check that another time. Thanks for the pointers.

Edited by dannybegood
commuter

Had a faulty front brake switch on my BMW. Changing the switch took minutes. Shifting all the bodywork to get to the connector took  blinking hours! They had a grand idea with the old british bikes. ...They just didn't have front brake light switches. All one did was to routinely apply both front and rear brakes at the same time. Back in the day , this was a necessity since front brakes weren't all that good and you needed to rely on a bit extra from the back brake and even changing down a gear too!

Andy m

Look like this

39812992660_e125a5077c.jpg

The silver blade on the lever pushes the plunger and turns the light off. If the lever moves and the plunger sticks, no light. They usually have two spade connectors on the back and unbolt from under the swifch gear

41089296432_0f84e3e690.jpg

They are almost a universal fit, hence a decent Japanese one can replace a ****y Indian one.

Andy