Sign in to follow this  
Mike5100

Have Held managed to apply quantum effects?

Mike5100

My new Held waterproof over jacket proudly announces it has 2.5 layers. Now I expected layers to be in whole integers but I guess it’s possible they make the ‘cloth’ in 5 layers then rip it apart somehow and make up garments from the two resulting 2.5 layer pieces. 😀

Apart from this dubious marketing techno hype the jacket is very very good. Mind it should be at nearly 90 quid. 

Its made of the same stuff as my very expensive hiking cagoul - completely waterproof breathable and stretchy. I had been using it on the bike but the mouth of the sleeves weren’t quite wide enough and the hood filled out behind me like a parachute. 😀

the held jacket has neither of these problems, is more fluorescent and has night reflective stuff on. It also has a soft collar that fits snug up to my neck. And because it hasn’t got a hood it should pack up very small. I’m just about to start experimenting with how small

it has external loops on it too which apparently are in case you want to fasten it to the INSIDE of a normal Held jacket. At first I thought this was just silly but after riding at about 80 today into a head wind, the flapping of the sleeves and shoulders was a bit noisy so I can see some point in wearing it underneath (say) an aero type jacket

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Defender
1 hour ago, Mike5100 said:

My new Held waterproof over jacket proudly announces it has 2.5 layers. Now I expected layers to be in whole integers but I guess it’s possible they make the ‘cloth’ in 5 layers then rip it apart somehow and make up garments from the two resulting 2.5 layer pieces. 😀

Apart from this dubious marketing techno hype the jacket is very very good. Mind it should be at nearly 90 quid. 

Its made of the same stuff as my very expensive hiking cagoul - completely waterproof breathable and stretchy. I had been using it on the bike but the mouth of the sleeves weren’t quite wide enough and the hood filled out behind me like a parachute. 😀

the held jacket has neither of these problems, is more fluorescent and has night reflective stuff on. It also has a soft collar that fits snug up to my neck. And because it hasn’t got a hood it should pack up very small. I’m just about to start experimenting with how small

it has external loops on it too which apparently are in case you want to fasten it to the INSIDE of a normal Held jacket. At first I thought this was just silly but after riding at about 80 today into a head wind, the flapping of the sleeves and shoulders was a bit noisy so I can see some point in wearing it underneath (say) an aero type jacket

mike

be honest it's an anorak isn't it?

• Haha 6

Tex

I’m not getting the 2.5 layer thing. If you make something of five layers and halve it you end up with two items of three layers each (just one of them is thinner..) :) 

I’m (sort of) looking for some over trousers. I have some excellent Gore-Tex laminate jobs but they don’t fold up very small. 

• Like 2

Grumpy Meltdown

Simon, have a look at OJ compact troos, from here... https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/store/clothing?filterBrand=OJ&followSearch=10000

They fold up really small, into their own little pouch. Same with the OJ jacket.

Not cheap but they work.

• Thanks 1

Mike5100

The matching Held ones seemed very well made too but I have some Sprayway ones made of the same stretchy breathable material and sold to walkers. They have good waterproof zips that go all the way up to the hips and this makes them absolutely brilliant for putting on over boots and chunky trousers. The Held zips only came to the knee

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MikeBike
18 hours ago, Mike5100 said:

My new Held waterproof over jacket proudly announces it has 2.5 layers. Now I expected layers to be in whole integers

Someoene must have counted up all the little holes in the breatheable layer and decided they couldn't call it a complete layer when half of it is holes.

• Like 1

lipsee

I do,nt rate Held because of one product,, but they are a big outfit so must produce something  good... I purchased from a charity shop ,a 2010 TT anorak to go over the top of my mesh jacket..Its waterproof ,,it has all the  TT writting on the back,but it black so suites my riding clobber,and best bit only cost £7...