My first 600 mile service

Guest Baden

Guest Baden

My new machine has just covered 550 miles and I rang my local Honda Dealer and they can't do the first service for two weeks.... Just wondered how many miles can I go over the 600 before I have to worry about my warrantee ?    We have some nice dry weather coming :-) 

Andy m

Don't worry. It won't break and if it did they'd cover it so long as you are booked in. I did once hear 10% quoted, so at least 110 miles before there is any risk. I've heard of first oil changes done at 4000 and do no harm, its mostly a con to charge an extra hundred quid for the bike, but they will check the fork bolts and stuff they did as if came out of the crate.

Andy

• Thanks 1
arengle

usually 600miles service must be done when the bike is between 300-750 miles, still don't know why is call 600miles 

kayz1

I had one done at 893 miles as i was away and they could not do it when i needed it doing, and that was booking it in on the day i picked it up.

So i was booked in on the first date that the dealer could do it...no problem.

PoppetM

Don’t freak at the mileage, it won’t suddenly die on you. 😀

On 22/06/2018 at 18:12, Baden said:

they can't do the first service for two weeks.... 

You are lucky with 2 weeks. Having done 500 miles went to the dealership and the nearest date was over month away. Ended up booking with different dealership week later. By the time local garage could do the service I have covered over 1200 miles. The biggest issue for me was warranty and potential problems in case of a warranty claim if I was late with service. 

Walklikegump

I have been offered a 600m service slot 2nd July and have only managed to cover 300 so far . Work and driveway install ( I have a lot to say about driveway installers but it might break forum rules ) has meant I haven't been on the bike . 

I am free today til the night so will get a few miles in , just not sure which direction yet.  

3 hours ago, Walklikegump said:

I have been offered a 600m service slot 2nd July and have only managed to cover 300 so far.

Jay that's plenty of time to get the miles in, but if you are still struggling I'm sure some friendly retired forum members could help out?

• Haha 2
larryblag

1050 miles before the CB1100 went in. Combination of poor planning (my bad), liking the bike too much (Honda'a bad) and a long lead time (dealer's bad). 

Walklikegump

Well my first 600 (480  in my case ) service is done. Book stamped. £136 . Picked up  a R&G shock sock . 

So soon on  a day I have free , I want to start looking at the bike a bit closer . To be honest it's been jump on and ride up until now .  

Expect my next post to say " Help ! I pulled something out and it does go back in. " 

• Haha 1
Jeffprince
5 hours ago, Walklikegump said:

" Help ! I pulled something out and it does go back in. " 

...and that, children, is where babies come from!

• Haha 8

I had my 600 mile service done today - cost £120 for a oil change and a stamp in the service booklet. 

Walklikegump
On 03/07/2018 at 21:23, SteveK said:

I had my 600 mile service done today - cost £120 for a oil change and a stamp in the service booklet. 

The service girl told me loads of things are checked. That explains why I got charged £16 more.