Service Kit

Guest James Russell

Guest James Russell

Hello All,

I was just wondering if there was a servicing kit that you could buy for the NC range.

I have an NC700d Integra and I want to do a simple service on it over the weekend with a mate of mine who is a mechanic. Initially I just want to do the oil and air filter then generally clean up everything underneath the panels and see if there is anything else that needs doing. So I guess I need:

-Air Filter

-Oil Filter (what about O-rings/any additional parts)

-Oil (10W 30??)

-Spark plugs?

Any advice or links to a suitable website would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

embee

You ought to do the clutch filter while you're at it, around £7-50 from Honda dealer. There's an O-ring under the cover but I've re-used mine several times with no leaks.

Generally recommend a new crush washer for the sump drain plug each time (though I've re-used them before now).

10W-30 is recommended, though I actually use a 50/50 mix of Castrol Power1 10W-30 and 40 personally, I find it a little smother/quieter, just personal preference. I have 10W-40 for other bikes.

Spark plugs should be good for at least 30k miles, probably more like 50k in reality. I just looked at mine at around 25k mls before going on hols and they looked near enough like new. If you do want o replace, check for prices at http://www.gsparkplug.com/ or https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ . Be wary of fake NGK plugs on auction sites.

Air filter will be good for 25k mls in the UK typically, replace if around that. Personally I use OE Honda filters, even though prices are rather steep, but not in the big scheme of things.

Sometimes Blackpool Honda have reasonable deals on service kits, check to see what they are offering.

As an aside, Opie Oils have offers on at various times, like 15% off or free postage etc, check at https://www.opieoils.co.uk/

This might be a useful site too, I haven't used them but I know folk who have been happy with the service, http://nutjob.ie/

Edited by embee
DaveM59

Depending on your mileage, you might also need a transmission filter. These are changed at every other oil change or similar, check the handbook.

On an Integra you will find the engine casing is white and spotty and quite scruffylooking, various little brackets looking quite tatty etc, all because they get damp and aren't able to be cleaned because of bodywork.

A tin of black paint, for touchup on the frame, some ACF 50 or whatever you prefer to spray all over everything and a pressure washer to give it all a good blast first. Ideal weather as everything dries quickly. Also pull off all the wiring connectors, clean and WD40 and silicone grease them for long term reliability. All bolts removed add a smear of coppaslip and remove, coppaslip and put back any you think may be removed again at any time. This prevents what should be a quick job becoming a nightmare with seized bolts.

To fettle an Integra properly takes a couple of days mainly due to the awkwardness of removing panels.

Guest James Russell
46 minutes ago, embee said:

You ought to do the clutch filter while you're at it, around £7-50 from Honda dealer.

Hi, Thanks for all the info. I looked on the Fowlers Parts list and couldn't find the clutch filter anywhere. Is this not part of the oil filter as a whole? The engine oil also lubes the transmission? Isn't that right?

Thanks,

James

embee

It's a small separate oil filter to make sure no contamination gets into the clutch solenoids and hydraulics. Yes, the engine oil does all the transmission, clutches etc., only one oil is used inside the engine assembly. Take off cover 3 with the 2 bolts. Don't lose the spring 7.

Filter part 6 here, it has the small seal on the engine end fitted already. Helpfully it is marked with the engine side and outside so you can't really go wrong fitting it.

The O-ring 23 is the one I referred to earlier. Part 7 spring is re-used.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/700-SCOOTER/INTEGRA/2012/NC700DC/Engine/RIGHT-CRANKCASE-COVER/60982/E_05/1/14192

RIGHT-CRANKCASE-COVER-Honda-SCOOTER-700-

Edited by embee
Jeffprince

Tip I learned the hard way (although having a mechanic for a mate might alleviate this for you).....Honda sell a filter and cup tool together for a lot less than having to buy the tool separately. This tool grips onto the filter and let's you get a socket onto the end, to aid removal. Mine was impossible to remove without it. Worth considering getting one for the first change...free thereafter.

Guest James Russell

Morning All,

My mate ordered all the parts yesterday so we are good to go for Friday night/Sat morning service at his. Which for me means a nice little trip down to Minehead from Bristol. The problem is he likes a drink, as do I. So we need to get it done before we get too pissed and his Wife has the BBQ food ready. :devil::D

embee

Just a couple of tips ref the Integra.

You have to remove several plastic panels to do what you are tackling.

The top panel over the air cleaner has just 2 shouldered bolts at the front (forward of the handlebars), then it unclips vertically. However Honda saw fit to make the shiny bit at the front of the seat ovelap it, which makes it difficult to get out from under the lip. It's almost easiest to remove the seat if you haven't done it before, undo the 2 screws in the sides of the shiny front trim section (visible when the seat is open) and then the 4 bolts in the "dome", and it lifts off easily. It can be done without removing the seat once you get the hang of it, but you'll mark the shiny finish. Well done, Honda.

Also take out the front plastic panel in front of the radiator, 2 shoulder bolts about 1/3 the way up in the front face and loads of plastic plugs (screw release, just 1/4 turn to let the centre pin come loose, some can be a bit tight fit ion the holes). Don't forget the ones under the front edge.

The rubber footmats lift out and there are screws underneath. You need to remove the right side under-panel to get to the DCT filter cover. Well done Honda.

I add some silicone grease to the white plastic clips to make it easier to get them in/out next time (if you haven't set fire to the damn thing beforehand). Well done Honda.

Which reminds me, I need to fit a new headlight lamp/bulb, the nice Philips Extreme lasted about 3yrs/15k miles as expected. I fitted a bog-standard replacement while on holiday (always carry a spare). You need to find a child with small hands to fit it for you. Well done Honda.

• Like 2
Guest James Russell

Thanks Murray,

I will copy that information down and take it with me for when we make a start on the Bike. So I could be looking at my lightbulb going at some point then.

By the way. I love the sarcasm. WELL DONE HONDA. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest James Russell

Hello All,

I have been meaning to reply since I carried out the service on my bike, with the help of my mechanic friend.

Well what a total arse it is to get all the panels off. But we got there in the end. Overall the bike was really clean underneath all that plastic, which I was really happy about. I gave it a little bit of a clean down whilst I had it all off. One of the tappets was way out, so we adjusted them. Which I was annoyed about as it had them checked only about 5000 miles ago at a main dealers.

Air Filter had been attacked by a little mouse. Didn't change that as the spare hadn't arrived. Going to get a K&N one ordered. We also took out the plastic neck that goes into the air filter box. The bike sounds quite a bit throatier now. Which I quite like.

Thanks for all of the advice I got on here before I did it. I think we would of spent a lot more time faffing if you guys hadn't given me some pointers.

Thanks,

James