Oh darn it ......................

embee

embee

Fan relay has died. The overheat red light came on while I was on hols, trickling at walking pace up a mountain in the Tirol due to a sporting event. Pulled over, switched off, and coolant dripped from the bottle (I always overfill them so that's not surprising) for maybe 30sec then stopped. No fan running when the ignition was on.  I waited a few minutes until the road was clear and set off, no red light and no further problem, though I was very wary when in any sort of traffic due to being 30C. Switched off immediately if it looked like I would be stationary for any time.

The sporting event was a "handicapped", if I'm allowed to use that word these days, wheelchair event, all hand propelled with cranks, maybe a couple of hundred participants, all climbing a real mountain (top of climb was at a glacier at 2750m!!). Absolute chapeau to all the participants, I certainly couldn't have done it. Superbly well organised, every participant had a cyclist accompanying them and loads of folk at the roadside directing other traffic etc. They always went round the outside of hairpins (less steep) so we had to swap sides of the road to pass, the marshals ensured traffic control was safe.

Anyway, back home and checked things out, fan runs with power applied, wiring all good, relay duff. Fortunately it's the same relay as the fuel cut relay so easy to swap over and see if the fuel pump runs (doesn't) with the suspect relay. It clicks on/off but contact between switched pins is not made. Think I'll carry a spare on my tours in future, I don't want the fuel pump not working. I can live without the fan until a new one turns up.

I seem to recall one or 2 other reports of this, so maybe not all that unusual, just something to be aware of. Easy fix.

• Thanks 1

Glad that you returned safely Murray with the minimum of drama and thanks for the heads up!  No doubt the relay is 'buried' behind panelling.

kayz1

Honda part Murray or Wemoto !

embee

The two relays for the fuel pump and the fan are right at the front of the bike behind the right side fairing panel, side by side. Well done Honda. Just like the fuses are conveniently situated under the shiny panel over the air filter, which you have to wrestle out from under the seat panel at the front having undone the 2 bolts and raised the clips out of their sockets. Well done Honda.

Actually picked up a job lot of three OE Mitsuba RC2208 relays off the auction site from a racing business, presumably redundant bits from track bikes. They're used on a host of different bikes so not rare.

shiggsy

Its situations like this that you need a water temp gauge and not just a warning light when its too hot. Well done Honda :(