Air filter maintenance and cleaning

Guest jd_chaos-rider

Guest jd_chaos-rider

Hello everyone!

if this topic was already mentioned (which I suppose was), sorry for the repetition, but couldn’t find it...

Does any on you know what air filters are originally installed in NC 750x, 2014?

If they are cotton filters, how do you clean them? Well, I’m aware of the bunch of air filter cleaners, but does water stream with mild house detergent do its job here??

all best!

Jakub

Edited by jd_chaos-rider
embee

They are a synthetic fibre dry filter element with a metal mesh support. No maintenance is required, and I wouldn't recommend washing it with anything personally from what I know of this type of medium. Simply replace the element at a sensible interval. Depending on where you use the bike and the air quality, something like 25k miles is a pretty reasonable service life. UK air is generally quite clean compared to how it used to be, despite what the media would have you believe. If you're riding all the time in city traffic or in industrial areas or very sandy environments you might consider changing it more often.

The medium is usually made with a progressive filtration feature, the fibres get closer together as it goes from the dirty side to the clean side. This optimises the dust holding capability without clogging the filter, the larger particles are held in the outer surface and the smaller particles get progressively further into the medium, it doesn't all get clogged up on the surface. Also the airbox usually is designed to direct the incoming air at one area, so most of the dirt gets deposited in a small region and the remainder stays relatively clean for longer.

Some folk like to replace the std element with a washable/oiled aftermarket version. Personally I don't like these, filtration efficiency is usually poor compared to the original type, manufacturers of these rarely if ever publish filtration data but they do claim greater airflow. Usually the only way you get greater airflow is with less filtration efficiency.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2014/NC750SAE/Frame/FRONT-COVER-AIR-CLEANER/71461/F_20/2/19295

Edited by embee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
stephenmcg

Some years ago I had transalp 700, the service manual stated changing air filter at 8000 miles, I bought one for this service but when I took out old one, it was clean and looked new. I put it back and thought to myself that I would change it at 12000 miles but changed bike first. I still have new Honda filter unopened so if anyone knows someone with 2010 model, they can have filter for free

the motto, take out old filter to inspect before buying replacement.

smcg

• Like 2
Guest jd_chaos-rider
On 7/5/2018 at 01:34, embee said:

They are a synthetic fibre dry filter element with a metal mesh support. No maintenance is required, and I wouldn't recommend washing it with anything personally from what I know of this type of medium. Simply replace the element at a sensible interval. Depending on where you use the bike and the air quality, something like 25k miles is a pretty reasonable service life. UK air is generally quite clean compared to how it used to be, despite what the media would have you believe. If you're riding all the time in city traffic or in industrial areas or very sandy environments you might consider changing it more often.

The medium is usually made with a progressive filtration feature, the fibres get closer together as it goes from the dirty side to the clean side. This optimises the dust holding capability without clogging the filter, the larger particles are held in the outer surface and the smaller particles get progressively further into the medium, it doesn't all get clogged up on the surface. Also the airbox usually is designed to direct the incoming air at one area, so most of the dirt gets deposited in a small region and the remainder stays relatively clean for longer.

Some folk like to replace the std element with a washable/oiled aftermarket version. Personally I don't like these, filtration efficiency is usually poor compared to the original type, manufacturers of these rarely if ever publish filtration data but they do claim greater airflow. Usually the only way you get greater airflow is with less filtration efficiency.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2014/NC750SAE/Frame/FRONT-COVER-AIR-CLEANER/71461/F_20/2/19295

Thank you, that’s very helpful - manual says it’s 24 000 km to replacement and I’m at the half of this. I was just wandering if it’s possible to clean it if I check it and it turns out to be dirty. Anyway, I think that I’ll just wait till replacement limit. 

Cheers

Edited by jd_chaos-rider
outrunner

Mine was done at the 16000 mile service but it was almost like new, for what they cost it is as well to change them anyway in my opinion.

Andy.

Edited by outrunner
coopers12345

I've found a blast with compressed air is the best way to clean off an air filter, if that doesn't do it then I'd definitely replace it. I switched mine out for a K&N as it's reusable.

Bart Stilgo
1 hour ago, coopers12345 said:

I've found a blast with compressed air is the best way to clean off an air filter, if that doesn't do it then I'd definitely replace it. I switched mine out for a K&N as it's reusable.

Don't forget do it in reverse!

And don't blow a hole in it!!

• Like 1
Iron horse

I looked at all the options including K&N. Decided in the end just to replace with a standard disposable one. The effort and cost is in the fitting as Honda chose the hide the filter deep inside the bike - well, under a few plastic panels anyway. 

Graham NZ

Getting to the filter is a PITA with something like 22 fasteners to be removed.

I won't go near the filter until there is increased fuel consumption or the engine doesn't idle well.

Iron horse

My filter was pretty clogged. A new one added about 3mpg. The new filter will pay for itself in about 9 months

• Like 1
Graham NZ
12 hours ago, Iron horse said:

My filter was pretty clogged. A new one added about 3mpg. The new filter will pay for itself in about 9 months

Gosh!  Do you ride in an area with very dirty air?  What did the filter look like?  If it was oily the engine breather may be passing too much oil vapour.

Iron horse

No just the usual filth driving in and out of central London everyday! Dread to think what the inside of my lungs might look like

• Sad 1
Graham NZ

Blimey!  The air here must be spotless compared with London, apart from salt misting during storms.  Almost everywhere in NZ is a marine environment.  Only Auckland and Christchurch suffer from air pollution sometimes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Blimey!  The air here must be spotless compared with London, apart from salt misting during storms.  Almost everywhere in NZ is a marine environment.  Only Auckland and Christchurch suffer from air pollution sometimes.

Yeah, you haven't lived until you've had a good lungful of London.  :(

• Sad 2
  • 11 months later...
hypnotic

Did you guys have a problem to remove the upper centre cover? I was wiggling it left and right for 30 minutes, and since there was no progress I pulled it and the front tooth of the centre cove broke. It's nothing major or very noticeable buy still annoying.

London commuter here as well. Bike has nearly 10k on this filter and I'm probably going to change it fairly soon.  Might even do it today as the weather won't be too hot. Lots of fasteners and all that malarkey. Gives you a chance to clean the bike in new areas as well...

steelhorseuk

K&N air filter is a good and reusable part and in normal riding conditions lasts for 50,000 miles before it requires a clean. 

Just clean with K&N power cleaner (other brands available) and then light spraying with water.

Retreat with K&N air filter oil. Job Done for another 50,000 miles!  

fj_stuart

I use K&N filters in my fleet. But the claim that they only need cleaned every 50,000 miles (K&N say this) is way off. My FJ gets done at 5,000 miles or so. By that time it's pretty filthy and the fuel consumption is going up.

The contamination seems to be mostly insects, dandelion spores and a very fine black dust that I take to be diesel particulates.

I mostly ride in the Scottish countryside - not somewhere you'd think would affect the filter but that's my experience.    

posting on my blog

Edited by fj_stuart
link added
  • Like 1
embee

The fine stuff will go through a K&N.

• Like 1
steelhorseuk
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:00, fj_stuart said:

My FJ gets done at 5,000 miles or so. By that time it's pretty filthy and the fuel consumption is going up.

Thanks for that info Stuart...... I will check mine ASAP then........... I have done about 18000 miles since installation.  

motorbykcourier

My advise (take it or leave it) is change it at recommended mileage or sooner

Been running HiFlo fliters ~£15.00, since I don't know when (200K miles +)

But they need changing depending on how bike is used !!??

• Like 3
steelhorseuk
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:48, Steel Horse UK said:

Thanks for that info Stuart...... I will check mine ASAP then........... I have done about 18000 miles since installation.  

I took it out this weekend to check it.

It was almost spotlessly clean so I did not need to bother really.

Anyway, washed it with K&N solution and re-oiled.

A job I will not be doing again for 50k miles! 

Grumpy old man
On 09/07/2019 at 13:20, Steel Horse UK said:

I took it out this weekend to check it.

It was almost spotlessly clean so I did not need to bother really.

Anyway, washed it with K&N solution and re-oiled.

A job I will not be doing again for 50k miles! 

And re-oiled? mine was a paper filter, are you meant to oil them?

steelhorseuk
18 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

And re-oiled? mine was a paper filter, are you meant to oil them?

Not paper ones no!!!!!

K&N are high performance filters made from 'state-of-art' material like porous cotton fabric, cotton gauze.

They are completely washable but you are required to re-oil and you are good to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1