Iron horse

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Review

Iron horse

I know these are popular and have been discussed at length here. Thought I would share my thoughts on them after over a year.

I had a pair fitted in June last year and they transformed the bike. After 11000 miles them still feel great, although the centres are not too far of the wear bars now. They were quite expensive £270 fitted I think but have lasted very well. Could have had a set of Bridgstones for £50 less, but very happy with these.

They worked really well through the winter too, with lots of grip and confidence. Quite surprised how they warm up very well in even very cold conditions. Wet grip was faultless as well.

They feel almost as good now as when they were new. Previous tyres have felt a bit squirmy when worn but the PRs have lasted really well. I would have no doubt replacing with another pair or The Road 5s  for a good price. 

My commute is 60 miles per day into London, around 2/3 dual carriageway and 1/3 in town. Equally good in both environments! Hope this helps anyone looking to choose new rubber.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Defender

Thank you for the review, it pretty much mirrors my experience of the PR3's of which I'm on my second set, which are performing as excellently as the first ones did.

• Like 1

Rev Ken

You reflect my experience with three sets of PR4s and when the ones fitted to my bike need replacing I'll be looking at the Road 5s. My top priority is wet grip as that is the only time I am likely to approach the limits of a tyre's grip and if I get it wrong I want that safety margin to be as big as possible!

• Like 4

Big Al

When I changed the oe Tyres to road 5’s the bike just feels so much better. The old Tyres just felt wrong, the new tyres just give so much more confidence. i had waited until I had done 5k before changing and I now think I should have done it sooner. 

• Like 2

jonthestrawb

Agree, changed to pr4’s after two sets of Metzlers and it transformed handling. The bike corners much better and it stops in any conditions without any squirm.  I get 8k from a set and change them at 2mm or just below. 

• Like 1

neojynx

Had PR3s and PR4s. Some prefer the 4s, but personally found the PR3s to be much harder wearing,  I wont be paying the premium on PR5s as the PR3s are more than adequate.

Iron horse
On 11/07/2018 at 22:18, jonthestrawb said:

Agree, changed to pr4’s after two sets of Metzlers and it transformed handling. The bike corners much better and it stops in any conditions without any squirm.  I get 8k from a set and change them at 2mm or just below. 

I found the Metzlers horrible. No confidence in the wet or dry

Foxy

Thanks for that, I am still on the originals but after 4,500 miles the rear is very close to the end, so Mitchelin it will be.

Rev Ken
9 hours ago, Iron horse said:

Me too = I got rid of them after only 1,000 miles, and I am a Scot!

• Haha 2

roddy

A thumbs up from me so far for the PR4's best tyre I have had. 

• Like 1

Iron horse

I thought there was something wrong with me; struggled to get the bike round roundabouts. Then I got a prescription from the Dr for a set of PR4s. Cured.

• Like 4

makman

Looks like I am going to invest in PR4's later on this year.  They are certainly getting the best reports out there at the moment. I'm currently on a Metzler 6 on the front and a BT023 on the rear.  They work and are fine, but the front is starting to tramline. I think it has circa 7k on it, I've put 6k on it myself.  Rear only has 4k on it, but will be changed when front is done so that they match and I can then have F&R same brand (not that I am bothered).

Wedgepilot
On Fri Jul 13 2018 at 15:21, Rev Ken said:

That's the great thing with this forum, you get a good range of opinions. Personally, I like the Metzler's, and got them again when they needed replacing. I got about 12k out of the first set from memory with no issues, that's all year commuting.

• Like 2

Mr Toad
On 7/12/2018 at 23:19, Iron horse said:

On 7/13/2018 at 09:21, Rev Ken said:

2 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

That's the great thing with this forum, you get a good range of opinions. Personally, I like the Metzler's, and got them again when they needed replacing. I got about 12k out of the first set from memory with no issues, that's all year commuting.

I find myself agreeing with all three of these statements. The original tyres on my Bonneville were Metzlers and although I personally never had any problems, because I rarely push the Bonneville, when I swapped them for Avons the difference was very marked. I found the ride and stability of the bike greatly increased and the grip far better.

On the other hand I have a friend with a BMW and he swears by Metzlers and he's no slouch, he does like to "make progress" as they say. :) 

• Like 1

outrunner

What type of Metzelers are we talking about? I have a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's on at the moment and I find them really good.

Andy.

Iron horse

I swapped the PR4s for a set of new Road 5s today. A slow puncture on the rear forced the issue and not worth repairing as near the end of its life.

I'll report back here once they been scrubbed in

sicknoteskier

Replacing my original Dunlops this week after 6700miles. The front is right on the limit of legal...and with the rain falling I thought it best to get things changed. Gone for the 4 instead  of the 5. Will see what differences there are with the feel of the bike. Hopefully similar to what others have found.

sicknoteskier

Very happy with the PR4. Has given the bike a much more positive feel. Not tried them with a pillion on board but with report back her comments when i do.

• Like 1

SlasherMCT

Very interesting. Up to 4500 miles on the originals since June and considering what to fit for winter as the rear tyre has squared off. 

‘Thanks all.

makman

I am well pleased with my PR4 front tyre.  Today is the first time I've used it in hard riding.  Had to get home quickly and so was cornering and breaking lot harder than the norm and the tyre was perfect.  No issues with grip on corners and it was spot on in handling.  Looking forward to when fork oil is renewed and rear shock is fitted though!

Bigglesaircraft

Just waiting for mine to be delivered, and can spend Monday fitting them. Really excited as from the many comments I think it will transform the handling from the existing Bridgetones.

temp

Got scared on my continentals, then found they were 10psi down...yeech

Jeffprince
10 minutes ago, temp said:

Got scared on my continentals, then found they were 10psi down...yeech

Found the same.....checking tyre pressures regularly is essential.

Bigglesaircraft

Ok, PR 4 tyres where is the red spot/balance point?