Gear lever adjustment.

Guest Smiffy

Guest Smiffy

I have a new NC 750x (fully manual) with only 100 miles clocked up so far. I need to adjust the gear lever to achieve about a one inch lift so I can comfortably put my toe under it to shift up. 

Will this adversely affect the gearbox in any way? Also, will this affect the gear read out on the dash?

Tex

The gear lever is on a spline so it can be fitted in a number of positions to allow fine adjustments to suit individual riders. Nothing else will be affected by the change. I suggest you check (and mark, if necessary) the original orientation of the lever so you know where to put it back to standard at any time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Guest Smiffy

Thanks for reply Tex. If only it was that simple. the gear lever is on a spline but it's also linked to another splined linkage via a rod with adjustment nuts. I have a photo but as of yet don't know how to post photos. I will have to do it when I have more time. 

Bikes of old just had the one gear lever on a spline, a simple fix to rotate it to adjust.

I may have to take it back to the stealership and let them do it. I don't want to compromise the warranty. 

arengle

to lift it 1 inch is a lot, are you sure you need so much?

As Simon said the lever is on a spline you can remove it and put it back on different position/angle. If you want to fine tune the adjustment you can use the linking rod, just untied the 2 nuts and turn the rod and when happy tied back the nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
wingrider.steve
4 minutes ago, arengle said:

to lift it 1 inch is a lot, are you sure you need so much?

As Simon said the lever is on a spline you can remove it and put it back on different position/angle. If you want to fine tune the adjustment you can use the linking rod, just untied the 2 nuts and turn the rod and when happy tied back the nuts.

As Adrian says just make the adjustment using the link rod, bear in mind one of the locknuts is left-hand thread.

Also as he says 1 inch is a heck of a lot, try 1/4 inch at first, it's surprising how much difference a small adjustment can make.

You will not affect the gearbox or dash readout by adjusting the gear pedal position.

Edited by wingrider.steve
  • Like 3
embee
1 hour ago, Smiffy said:

……….. I don't want to compromise the warranty. 

You won't, don't worry.

You can usually get all the adjustment you need on the threaded rod, only if you get to the limit of that do you need to consider moving the lever on the gearbox shaft.

According to this link it's the front nut (14) on the rod which is left hand thread, you can usually see if the threads are LH, they look "wrong" :lol:

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2017/NC750XAH/Frame/STEP-PEDAL/97652/F_29/2/25742

STEP-PEDAL-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2017-NC750XAH-F_29.jpg.e72e67910af1cfda3dd76288284b3bd5.jpg

• Thanks 1
Guest Smiffy
1 hour ago, embee said:

You won't, don't worry.

You can usually get all the adjustment you need on the threaded rod, only if you get to the limit of that do you need to consider moving the lever on the gearbox shaft.

According to this link it's the front nut (14) on the rod which is left hand thread, you can usually see if the threads are LH, they look "wrong" :lol:

Spot on there embee. I bit the bullet and just adjusted the rod (13). It was plenty to put the lever in right position for me. 

Thanks all for your help.

larryblag

This forum yet again working at it's finest. :cheers:

Tonyj

Oi , wos wrong with lefties . 😆

• Haha 1
Slowboy
8 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Oi , wos wrong with lefties . 😆

The devils work😈😁

• Haha 2
  • 3 years later...
Baxter721

My pushrod is so stiff I can't twist it after loosening the 2 lock nuts at either end :(  In all probability nobody's interacted with it in it's 9 years of life...

I've sprayed with penetrant. Will try again in the morning but not really sure how to get any proper grip on it as it's so thin

davebike

We sene that a few times  \we cheat take it off soak in a bath penertrating oil dismantler and clean the threads but we have left and right hand M6 taps and dies!

• Like 2
Baxter721

I actually managed to get it to budge with mole grips on the rod and a 12mm spanner conveniently fits around the end you need to hold still (even though it's square)

• Like 1