Dirt in fuel tank

gobetween55

gobetween55

Bit of a school boy error...I had an old petrol can with fuel still in it (the fuel was a month or so old) and decided in my wisdom to use it to top up the bike.

Anyway, as I was pouring it in 2 or 3 rusty flakes of paint came off the outer can and down into the tank.

My question is will the filter block this or am I in trouble? I gave bike a run and it was fine but I'm due to do a lot of mileage this weekend and a bit concerned if anything will happen as the tank empties.

I'm imagining its a just wait and see scenario. Was considering draining the tank in the hope its still floating about in there. Any thoughts anyone?

Tonyj

:cry: thats a pain , feel for you because every hiccup or odd noise you will be thinking about this . i would faff about for hours then probably try to drain it out , wasting more time :0)

there are a lot of fellas on here who have old bikes so they may have some tips on the best way. like drain it , then adapt the hoover and suck it out. or blow it out through the filler cap while the tanks still in place.

• Like 1
Slowboy

To be honest the fuel filter should catch it, but if you want to get it out it's a tank off and flush out job. Can't remember if the pump is internal or external, if its internal, take it out, get your hand in and clean, then refit, ideally with new gasket.

Dont use a hoover unless you want a mighty flame thrower 😳 And a visit from the big red fire truck🚒 🚑 🚔 And his other emergency service mates 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
gobetween55

Thanks for your thoughts fellas. Did about 500 mile over the weekend all in all and didn't have any troubles so keeping my fingers crossed I got away with it.

Rode down from the Wirral toTenby then back up through Brecon and Ludlow way. Fantastic. Wales is stunning.

• Like 2
Tonyj

think slowboys advice is a better then my numpty offering  , plus a black eye from the misses won't add value  to the situation 

• Haha 1