Your Dealer Good or Bad.

Roy Atkinson

Roy Atkinson

Whats the dealer like in your area.

Is the showroom clean and tidy, are the bikes well presented.

Do you get a good deal on trade in.

Is the servicing costs as stated or do they allways find more items to replace.

Are the staff polite and friendly.

Have you been using the same dealer for some time.

Do you have trouble getting items done under warranty.

People need to know where they can find good motorbike dealers that give a good service and they can trust them and which ones to bypass.

Tell us the good ones and tell us the bad ones.

skorpion

I think views on any bike dealer will vary from person to person, personally never found one that has always been to my satisfaction.

So now I only use them as a last resort.

• Like 1
Rocker66
8 minutes ago, Roy Atkinson said:

Is the showroom clean and tidy, are the bikes well presented.

Do you get a good deal on trade in.

Is the servicing costs as stated or do they allways find more items to replace.

Are the staff polite and friendly.

Have you been using the same dealer for some time.

Do you have trouble getting items done under warranty.

People need to know where they can find good motorbike dealers that give a good service and they can trust them and which ones to bypass.

No surprise that I will say Kent M/Cs are excellent. We have been using them for years and they are the main reason we stick with Honda’s. . We have 2 dealers within walking distance of our house but prefer to travel 25 miles to get good service. At least one other member of this forum comes from  Essex to deal with them. I know of several people who travel past other Honda dealers to deal with them. The owner lives on site and is there the vast majority of the time. Only today another of the technicians was made a Honda Master Technician. Servicing costs are reasonable and they never do extra work without asking first.

Showroom is always neat and tidy and they usually have a good range of demo bikes

They go the extra mile to help people including foreign riders coming from or going to the port or tunnel. Decent cafe on site open 7 days a week and they also have their own training school with a very high pass rate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Rev Ken

It's a number of years since I used them but Honda Lancaster (In Morecambe! ) always looked after me and my bikes. I bought three from them, but they weren't happy when I bought my CBF1000 as they knew I wasn't going to change it for many years....7 in the end. Great crowd, free hot drinks and very reasonable and efficient servicing.

Rocker66

I also have to give a mention to Lloyd’s Honda Carlisle who helped me out when my first Crossrunner got knocked over when I was on my way to Scotland. The only real damage was a bent front brake lever. I went in as a complete stranger told them what had happenedand asked if they had a lever. They hadn’t but the guy said would you like a coffee whilst we try and sort it. Whilst I was drinking the free coffee he took a lever off a brand new bike in the show room and fitted it to mine. They only charged me the price of a lever.

I was so impressed by the service that on my return home I wrote both to the manager of Lloyd’s and to the Honda customer service department.

• Like 6
Rocker66

Another dealer that helped me out when I had a problem with my Triumph Sprint was Lings in Watton. They made a quick phone call to Paul Smart M/Cs where I had bought the bike to confirm that it the services done. They then lent me a bike to get to my hotel and back to collect my bike this next morning. The bike was all fixed at no charge. 

I have to confess that I did have one advantage as Sue and I knew one of their mechanics as he had previously worked in a dealers in Ashford. We didn’t know that he worked at Lings until we took the bike in there though.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Roy Atkinson said:

It's been a while since I had a relationship with a dealer so not to sure I can really recommend, but last year I bought a new Honda from Smiths outside Chester and a new BMW from Chester BMW and in both cases the service was OK.

kayz1

ColwynBay Honda for me, a family run shop who treat you as the guy/Girl who pays the wages....

Closed Wednesday and Sunday so the staff have a life, always had great service both sales

trade in's and the service dept...if they say some thing is wrong/needs doing...trust them it does.

I have fixed bikes all my life, i have even done a few jobs for them. I trust them with my bikes.

Lyn.

• Like 2
Slowboy

I've also heard good reports about Colwyn Bay Honda, even all the way down here in the West Country. I do all my own servicing, even on new bikes. I live in South West Devon. Just sayin..........😉

steelhorseuk

I deal with Grafton's in Milton Keynes, bought my first bike from them in 1982.

The showroom is fairly new from a purpose build and recently extended. Clean and tidy. Drinks machine on site.

They could do with a bigger service area though I suspect.   

I do not spend a lot of money there, cannot afford to but it does not seem to matter to them and the service they provide.

I am addressed by first name from the team there which I really like. 

They do not give me a load of bull. Just the facts. The discount afforded to me for loyalty is a bonus.

When I purchased my NC700SA back in 2012 it had a fair amount of problems that were all rectified over time without quibble.

People come and go as you do in life but the service has remained consistent and the team there are helpful and approachable.  

I think it being a family business helps.   I am one for brand loyalty and building relationships where I can.

Sometimes things do not always go to plan, that is life. If you are a reasonable person you accept that. They do not always get everything right but who does!

I will use this thread started by Roy to just say thanks to Chris and his team at Grafton's, Honda in MK. 

If it wasn't for them, I probably would not be still riding a Honda.

Edited by Steel Horse UK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Rev Ken
12 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I also have to give a mention to Lloyd’s Honda Carlisle who helped me out when my first Crossrunner got knocked over when I was on my way to Scotland. The only real damage was a bent front brake lever. I went in as a complete stranger told them what had happenedand asked if they had a lever. They hadn’t but the guy said would you like a coffee whilst we try and sort it. Whilst I was drinking the free coffee he took a lever off a brand new bike in the show room and fitted it to mine. They only charged me the price of a lever.

I was so impressed by the service that on my return home I wrote both to the manager of Lloyd’s and to the Honda customer service department.

I agree. Lloyds Honda in Carlisle helped me out when I dropped my bike a few years ago trying to avoid a cable reel (MY fault!) and made it roadworthy, ordered replacement parts and fitted them as soon as I could get my bike to them. I now go there as they are also a BMW franchise and always very pleasant with excellent coffee - but BMW stuff is EXPENSIVE! But then you knew that! The Honda side are still prepared to talk to me....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
suffolk58

If you ask any motorcyclist who lives in Suffolk or North Essex, almost all with say how wonderful Orwell Motorcycles of Ipswich are.

I've only ever bought one bike from them (the Aprilia Moto 6.5, well documented here, and they've apologised many times to me since then).

Excellent service, good deals, lovely people, but for me only one big problem...

They are Suzuki and Kawasaki main dealers. They regularly send me off on one of their latest demonstrators, but I've not found any thing the Big S or Green Meanies have built for a long time, that impresses me enough to part with my money.

I just hope, that one day, they will take over the Honda concession.

• Like 1
Andy m

Never found one that I'd rate above average. According to Pagetts (Batley);

The CB's service intervals are 6000 miles (book says 8K)

Honda are not going to bring the new Cub to the UK (September 2018)

My 2014 Moto Guzzi had ABS which did not need polewheels or sensors. 

They did manage to get the oil level right and check the coolant. 

This is better than

Appleyards Suzuki who's teleporter can get the the rear plugs out of a Weestrom with the tank in place.

P&D Wakefield who just keep pouring until oil overflows the filler.

Castle Honda who need written permission (in triplicate) to tighten bolts (in case the owner prefers them loose).

Alan Jefferies BMW who think corrosion is normal on a 3 month old bike and wiring looms rub through because you don't buy the replacement lamps from them.

Kawasaki Autorama who say the W650 is home market only and that a ZZR600 is a good substitute.

Harley Davidson Leeds who think someone who test rides in a snow shower and wants to trade an XT600e is going to be swayed by a tee-shirt with advertising, an invite to a BBQ and an offer to deliver the new bike 3 months after you've paid in case it rains on the way home.

The sooner I can buy online direct from the manufacturer and organise my own servicing the better. The clowns who know nothing except how to work the till out number the others.

Andy

• Like 3
Roy Atkinson

Crikey Andy you sound more disappointoned with after sales service than i do.

You appear to have tried a few in your time.

Its a shame when you take your pride and joy in to be serviced and pay good money, you dont come out of the showroom happy

with the service received. I think on the whole most people are happy with the service given and the staff in general are plesant to

the paying customer.

Roy

Andy m

I had a little walk in the desert in 2003 courtesy of Rotax's **** design and BMW missing an obvious change in colour on servicing. I decided then never to be reliant on anyone else again. I'm supposedly/used to be an Engineer to actually enjoy these simple machines. I struggle to see why anyone would not be able to follow the service instructions and therefore assume they are lazy or ripping me off. 

I will know more about the products I sell than you can find on Google. I therefore go to a dealers sales guy expecting the same. ( Or at least honesty , there are "boomerang" products I won't sell , but I'd tell you that).

I don't think I'm their target customer.

Andy

Ciaran

I'll give a yay to Crescent Honda. Between myself and my father we've bought 5 bikes in total from these guys. They've given a good deal shaving off accessory costs etc and being willing to match some of the dirty cheap offers we've had from rivals. Their attitude to test rides is pretty decent, as long as it's arranged in advance they pretty much expect you to be out most of the day on it. They were rather surprised when I returned the NC750X within an hour and a half. They make things really simple.

The thing that surprised me is the excellent after sales. The service department goes through invoices item by item, explains what they've done and usually cleans the bike for you after it's been in (they commented on the my bike becoming a spider reserve last time I was there, cheeky sods). They've been great regarding heated grips that keep slipping, reseating them several times and trying better glues when needed.

Not so yay are Farnham Honda. I will never buy a bike from these gents after they arranged a deal with me under x finance terms and then produced the paperwork under y finance terms. Ultimately it's my fault for not noticing it but their attitude when I approached them over it was atrocious. Effectively tough **** speak to Honda. They were very reluctant to let me test ride a bike despite being old enough and their service adviser couldn't answer basic questions without referring to a manager. Bit of a shambles really.

• Like 1
horobags

hunts manchester for me, exellent deals which cant be beaten imo, and I do shop around. Friendly staff, good service prices.

Rocker66

Good to know that despite what a few members say that there are good dealers out there giving good service at fair prices

I sometime think that some people expect too much. For example Bonekicker who used to post on here said that when he was trading in he expected a top trade in price a big discount on the new bike and loads of extras for free plus free servicing. To satisfy all his expectations the dealer would have had to sell at a lost. Strange how despite him constantly stating that all Honda dealers were rip off merchants he bought one Honda after another.

Andy m

I don't have much sympathy on pricing issues. If the deal offered isn't what both parties want, move on and find another deal. Come back next week and see if what is offered is changed maybe, but endless rounds of haggling just result in a deal no one likes. I've met plenty who find it insulting when you say "sorry, I can't offer that" though. If you offer to use fivers as wrapping paper they only ask for tenners so why waste everyone's time? My favourite is "Don't you want to sell me one?". The answer of course is "No, not under unacceptable terms". 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
embee

No deal is better than a bad deal.

I wish someone else had said that …………………………………...

Sorry Ted, a bit near the mark. :blush:

Edited by embee
  • Haha 2
Wedgepilot

I work just down the road from Chiswick Honda, so I use them as it's convenient. I also happened to buy my 700X from them in the first place. 

No complaints, they have always treated me well and done a good job on servicing. The oil level was slightly overfilled after my 8000 mile service, but that's it. They obviously charge main dealer prices, but no surprise there, and it's worth it for the convenience. Big selection of bikes (and cars), big clean showroom and cafe. 

The service team seem to know their stuff, and there haven't been any attempts to "upsell" for extra work. In fact, when they changed my chain and sprockets recently, they rang to check that I definitely wanted the chain changed as it was in good condition. 

• Like 1
Andy m

The thing no one is supposed to mention is going to get someone a pHD in negotiations, sociology, mental health....

Does anyone else play with over zealous floor walkers in Curries? "Yes, you can help me, I like this white cupboard with the light, but want one with food already inside". "Where do you keep the poppadoms please?", "Can I speak to the chap from Windows who said my computer had been hacked please?".

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Jeffprince

Here's a new one......

i picked up up my new Benelli on Thursday, having paid a deposit. When I turned up, the dealer (in a small valleys town) said that his computer system was playing up and that he couldn't take my card payment. He then let me take the bike, on the promise that I'd transfer the balance later that day. Never come across that one before. 

He also gave me 10% discount off rrp and 1st service thrown in, with next to no haggling. 

What is the world coming to???

( not giving you lot his details, as you'll all be getting bikes off him on the promise of paying later!!!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Jeff, I'm a big Benelli fan, what have you bought?

DaveM59

I can't complain about Blackpool Honda other than the ridiculous drop in PX they offered when they found out it was Cat C ( I didn't know either) and the fact I had to ring them to chase things along. They were friendly, sent 12 month service reminders, and the jobs they did when asked before purchase were done efficiently and they did a little more than asked for. What I dislike is the dual showroom with cars and the shared servicing bays. Each tucked the bikes into a smaller space as if they are a poor relation, more noticeable in winter when the bike side goes relatively dead but car sales remain more spread throughout the year.

The only other dealer I have had any long term usage of was the Piaggio dealer (long gone so I will name) Buzzinmotos in Preston who's sales staff and admin were great, friendly, and bent over backwards to help, but whose service department was run by a combination of chuckle brothers and circus clowns. They had all the manuals but not one had a greasy finger print on them and they failed miserably to ever do a job properly. These guys were ex- Preston Bill Head's Honda (also gone) and still wore the Honda overalls and jackets.

I am very tempted to visit Blackpool Honda again and test a new Forza but for the same money there is a BMW 650C GT not far away which with the badges removed might be a better bet. Similar power to the Integra, designed like a T-max and looks like an easy DIY machine.