Tail/brake light bulb.

Brigante7

Brigante7

Out for a ride yesterday and my mate told me that my brake light wasn't working, by the time I was home the tail light wasn't working either. I'll get a new bulb tomorrow but this will be the 3rd new bulb in around 9 months. I have absolutely no idea about electrics so haven't a clue if I have a problem with the electrics on my bike or if I've just been unlucky in regards to bulbs. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Brigante7.

embee

A dodgy earth connection can sometimes lead to early failure, the lamp filament can effectively be flickering all the time. There's a small connector in the tail light wiring where it reaches the plastic tail moulding, somewhere just about at the back of the pillion seat. You get to it when you take the under piece off the tail section in order to get to the bulb.

Undo his connector and spray with cleaner of some sort (contact cleaner, ACF50 or even WD40 will do) and then work it back in/out a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Andy m

Murray has it. Dodgy plug (hopefully) or loom rubbing. Follow the wires. Jiggle and spray.

I'd be tempted to do it live. If jiggle causes flicker (don't worry, you'll soon pick up the jargon 😁) you've found it.

If it was a BMW F650 I could probably tell you the part number the of the grommet the cabbage heads left 6 inches from the hole in the bodywork it was supposed to sit in.

Andy

• Like 3
Defender

You could try an LED type lamp rather than a traditional filament type?

DaveM59

Can you? LED lamps need to be red in a tail light or they look pink so the clear bit that lights the number plate would then be lit with a red light not white.

LEDs, unless you spend a lot of money for quality items, aren't any more reliable than cheap filament bulbs. Most are from China and have about 10p worth of quality in them.

Rocker66
10 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

Can you? LED lamps need to be red in a tail light or they look pink so the clear bit that lights the number plate would then be lit with a red light not white.

LEDs, unless you spend a lot of money for quality items, aren't any more reliable than cheap filament bulbs. Most are from China and have about 10p worth of quality in them.

For LEDs as a direct replacement try Paul Goff. He is well known for replacement electrical items.

Brigante7

Thanks for the reply's, wd40 used and new bulb fitted.

Brigante7