Unstable rear end

Pidu

baben

I keep seeing this topic heading in my unread content list and for some reason I always thought it was something to do with Beyonce. Such a disappointment.:banana2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Mr Toad
3 hours ago, baben said:

I keep seeing this topic heading in my unread content list and for some reason I always thought it was something to do with Beyonce. Such a disappointment.:banana2:

I keep seeing it too and my first thought is a about a good friend of mine who loves a curry but has rear end stability problems the next day.

• Haha 1
SteveThackery

OK, folks, I'll be the first to say what I'm sure some of us must be thinking.....

The left-right "slipping" - I think it's psychological.

Let's be honest, if the back end of the bike really is moving from side to side enough to feel, you'd have a major mechanical fault with serious safety implications.  I'm sure you'd be able to observe it just by pulling and pushing on the back wheel (although I agree it would be hard without a centre stand).

I might be wrong (I often am), but my gut tells me this isn't an actual mechanical issue.

Trev

As Steve said, if it is actually 'slipping' then something serious is wrong and should be easy to move the rear wheel if it's a bearing,  would be highly unlikely (although not impossible) on such low mileage, bearings do occasionally just fail as opposed to wear. I would give it a check as if it's so bad for you to be able to feel it then a) it could be very serious and may be unsafe to ride and b} it will be easy to spot.

Put the bike on the side stand and get a suitable length of 4 x 2 (other wood sizes are available:D) and ask someone to 'lift' the back wheel leveraging against the side stand, prop your 4 x 2 under the frame somewhere suitable and that should hold it off the ground well enough for you to be able to detect a very shot rear wheel bearing.

My guess though is tyre/s, not necessarily unsafe or worn but just a pair that doesn't suit you/the bike and now you've picked up on it you're looking for the problem which then accentuates it further. I've got a few different types of bikes and after a period of riding one to the exclusion of the others, particularly something modern, when I hop on one of the very different bikes (say sportsbike to Enfield) the damn thing feels almost unrideable for the first few corners/miles. Once I stop fretting and start riding the feeling disappears.

Having said that, always better to be safe rather than sorry so a dealer check always a good idea if you still don't find the problem, good luck.

Grumpy old man

Just a thought, I hope I'm not not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, I found with my CBF that the back end  seemed unstable, I found it was because I wasn't putting enough drive/power on when cornering, because I'm a relative newbie and a little nervous, keep the power on and all was good.

Just a thought

Grumpy

• Like 3
EastSussexPete

Wear a nappy:blink: