Unstable rear end

Pidu

Looking for some advice and please excuse me if my description of the problem is not quite clear,but may be lacking vocabulary in this matter. As per title I am concerned with the rear if the bike being / feeling unstable. At lower speeds is feels like rear wheel is "slipping" a bit to right and left giving very uncomfortable riding experience. Obviously it is the road surface and I do understand that, but it is to the point where I would not expect it to happen. It gets worse 2 up (with my 11y old daughter). Did not notice such behaviour out of the city at motorway speeds etc but again it is the factor of road surface condition I guess. Suspension looks ok, no play I can feel. Tyre pressure checked numerous times. One noticable thing is probably 1mm difference on the marks for chain adjustment. Chain was adjusted begining June during firts service. I have the bike since April this year, did abt 1600miles. Honestly can not tell if it was the same from the start, may have not noticed in the initial excitement. Definitely it is noticeable to me now. Have not ridden for years but for sure have not had this with my previous motorcycles.  Have anybody experienced something similar?

Looking to book the bike in to have it checked by the dealer, but do not have high hopes.

Slowboy

I'd have a quick check of the rear wheel alignment. Lots of good YouTube vids showing how. My own experience is It'd have to be well out to give the symptoms you suggest.

Just thought of this, check the axle nuts good and tight. Just a thought.

Possibly shock preload, possibly the shock going a bit soft, you don't say how many miles the bike has done.

Hope that helps a bit.

Brian

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
stephenmcg

I was going to suggest tyre pressure but this seems ok when you checked.

the other thing is tyre squaring off, but from reading I think the bike is new with low mileage.

i am sure it will get resolved.

smcg in glasgow

13 minutes ago, slowboy said:

I'd have a quick check of the rear wheel alignment. Lots of good YouTube vids showing how. My own experience is It'd have to be well out to give the symptoms you suggest.

Just thought of this, check the axle nuts good and tight. Just a thought.

Possibly shock preload, possibly the shock going a bit soft, you don't say how many miles the bike has done.

Hope that helps a bit.

Brian

Thank you. Will have a look at wheel alignment. Axle nuts are tight, shock was not touched / adjusted by me. Bike was bought new, as said just 1600 miles on the clock.

embee

What tyre pressure are you using? The recommended is 36psi front, 42psi rear. Are you sure your gauge is correct?

I was going to say wheel bearings but at 1600mls that would be most unlikely (still worth a check).

17 minutes ago, embee said:

What tyre pressure are you using? The recommended is 36psi front, 42psi rear. Are you sure your gauge is correct?

I was going to say wheel bearings but at 1600mls that would be most unlikely (still worth a check).

Using recommended tyre pressure. Had it checked by local garage and the indication was same as on my gauge.

• Like 1
alhendo1

Are you able to tell where the preload has been set on the shock/has it been moved from standard setting?....previous owner may have set it at its softest setting which may make it wallow a bit especially if you're riding 2 up....maybe check shock linkage bolts for tightness if you're down there....

Edit...I see from your original post that the chain was adjusted during 600 mile service....are you the first owner?

Edited by alhendo1
  • Like 1

Yes, I am first owner. Shock's preload as delivered by the dealer.

Will check bolts and few other suggested things tomorrow.

Swissheavy

Have you checked the wheel bearings? 

• Like 2

Do not have centre stand so not sure it is doable for me.

Guess will have to wait for the dealer to have a look. Hope they do not just say that all is good.

Edited by Pidu
Bart Stilgo

What tyre have you got fitted

Mine had Dunlop as OE and it walked all over the road.  It only lasted 3500 miles before it was shot

when the tyre was changed the back end stopped walking about

• Like 2
trisaki

Chain too tight making the rear suspension inoperable  ie like a hard tail 

Swissheavy

If chain is fine I bet it’s the wheel bearing as I had similar feelings on mine before the bearings were diagnosed as shot. 

Mark8arker

What wieght are you!? Think the pre-loads are set for standard rider wieght ???? You said the problem get worse two up. Try moving the pre-load up one notch and seee how it feels. 

Rear tyre is OE Dunlop. Might be part of the problem.

16 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Chain too tight making the rear suspension inoperable  ie like a hard tail 

Have checked and slack is in fact smaller then it should by abt 5mm. I know it is out of factory recommended limits but could it couse such issues? Honestly did not expect it to be wrong after service. Will sort it out and check how the bike feels.

1 minute ago, Mark8arker said:

What wieght are you!? Think the pre-loads are set for standard rider wieght ???? You said the problem get worse two up. Try moving the pre-load up one notch and seee how it feels. 

100kg. With my daughter I would be abt 150kg together.

Thank you all very much for help. I do not feel confident with maintenance of a new bike and need to learn a lot - ie check slack even after service (disappointing experience tbh). Will have it sorted first. If no luck will keep checking whatever I can as you have suggested. Have booked a visit at dealership but that will be few weeks as they are busy.

coopers12345

Sounds like the same issue I had when the wheel bearing went, at motorway speeds it wasn't noticeable but around town it felt as though the rear wheel was slipping. It shouldn't be that at 1600 miles though.

If the dealers can't look at it for a few weeks and it's still got breakdown cover on it then I'd be tempted to get them out to have a quick look. It might be something simple that they can fix there and then for you.

trisaki
8 hours ago, Pidu said:

100kg. With my daughter I would be abt 150kg together.

Thank you all very much for help. I do not feel confident with maintenance of a new bike and need to learn a lot - ie check slack even after service (disappointing experience tbh). Will have it sorted first. If no luck will keep checking whatever I can as you have suggested. Have booked a visit at dealership but that will be few weeks as they are busy.

Find the tightest spot in the chain and check for about 35mm there and nowhere else -

1 hour ago, trisaki said:

Find the tightest spot in the chain and check for about 35mm there and nowhere else -

Will do. Thank you.

Tonyj

Unstable rear end ? Mmm let me think , prawn vindaloo or dodgy kebab. That’s all I got in the locker 🤣

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Unstable rear end ? Mmm let me think , prawn vindaloo or dodgy kebab. That’s all I got in the locker 🤣

Somehow knew it was going to happen :D:frantics:

• Like 2
embee

Don't mention the skidmarks …………………………. :no:

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
Iron horse

As said above, check the axle nut is properly torqued. 72lb I think. Ive had this where I was sure I'd done it up really tight but the torque wrench said otherwise when I got round to buying one

12 hours ago, Iron horse said:

As said above, check the axle nut is properly torqued. 72lb I think. Ive had this where I was sure I'd done it up really tight but the torque wrench said otherwise when I got round to buying one

Thank you. Have got torque wrench so will defo give it a go over the weekend.

As ever, I am late to the party, but my guess is wheel bearings.  They can go at any point and when mine went a few months go I couldn't believe the difference when they were changed.  Mind you - the same was true of the tyre.  I tend to use Angel ST's and they transformed the handling.

Hope you get it sorted!

• Like 1