Stuck Final drive sprocket removal

djsb

My old final drive sprocket is stuck. They did not put any grease behind the nut holding the sprocket on at the factory and now the sprocket will not budge due to a small amount of rust on the end of the final drive shaft. I've covered it in Plus Gas and will give it a try next weekend. Has anyone improvised a puller for the sprocket or does anyone have any tricks (apart from a hide mallet-I've tried that) to try to loosen it? Thanks.

Trev

I'm sure you don't need telling but, just in case, go careful with that hide (or any other type) of mallet a) not to whack anything delicate near the sprocket or give it too much welly and damage output shaft or bearings. I would persevere with the PlusGas for a while but aided by a good stint with the wire brush, preferably one attached to a Dremel or small drill. It may also help to free it up if you give the sprocket lots of gentle 'dings' with a small metal hammer and then trying to wiggle it.

I have a home made puller that would probably work but they're not that expensive, Screwfix do one for £15 that looks like it may fit, a worthwhile addition to any home mechanics tool kit or may come in handy for a bit of home dentistry :ike:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
gonzo

Heat,!!

• Like 1
Trev
41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Heat,!!

If all else fails but I would be very wary of the final drive shaft seal and any sensors/wiring in or around, maybe better to apply one of your plumbers freeze kits to shaft if Plus Gas, wiggling and patience fails.

• Like 1
embee

I'd tend to agree with Trev, if the Plusgas doesn't do it on its own, a bearing puller would be the next step. Machine Mart have what looks like the same 4" item as Screwfix at a little lower price. I would guess it's about the right size to just about get in there.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-4-inch-3-jaw-gear-puller-cht607/

I always apply some high moly grease to the splines, the NC is designed with a trace of endfloat to allow the sprocket to float, the bolt/washer doesn't clamp the sprocket tight.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
Trev
14 minutes ago, embee said:

I'd tend to agree with Trev, if the Plusgas doesn't do it on its own, a bearing puller would be the next step. Machine Mart have what looks like the same 4" item as Screwfix at a little lower price. I would guess it's about the right size to just about get in there.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-4-inch-3-jaw-gear-puller-cht607/

I always apply some high moly grease to the splines, the NC is designed with a trace of endfloat to allow the sprocket to float, the bolt/washer doesn't clamp the sprocket tight.

I'm off to Machine Mart tomorrow to 'spend' a credit note I have, been looking through the catalogue to decide what to get and so far have a list about ten times the value of my credit note, hopefully I can resist being like a kid in a sweet shop  :frantics:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
trisaki

Lidl rust penetrating spray think it's in store at the moment  - I've used various in my wshop  always come back to the Lidl one 

• Like 1
TheEnglishman

I used a bearing puller the first time.  Honda dealer pre-checks on new bikes were none existent.  Afterwards, like embee said, it's a dab of moly grease and the last time the sprocket came off with a bit of wiggling.  

Guest machinman
8 minutes ago, TheEnglishman said:

I used a bearing puller the first time.  Honda dealer pre-checks on new bikes were none existent.  Afterwards, like embee said, it's a dab of moly grease and the last time the sprocket came off with a bit of wiggling.  

Glad your all sorted.

To be fair, PDI wouldnt

include checking the output shaft. 

Unfortunately, things are assembled virtually dry these days. Headstock and rear linkage come to mind.

Defender

I was told many years ago that if you don't have anything else then diesel is a good substitute, that's not Simon's dog I hasten to add!

The other one that I've never tried is Cola, of which ever brand you like, it more for soaking stuff in though.

baben
On 7/23/2018 at 13:20, Trev said:

I'm sure you don't need telling but, just in case, go careful with that hide (or any other type) of mallet a) not to whack anything delicate near the sprocket or give it too much welly and damage output shaft or bearings. I would persevere with the PlusGas for a while but aided by a good stint with the wire brush, preferably one attached to a Dremel or small drill. It may also help to free it up if you give the sprocket lots of gentle 'dings' with a small metal hammer and then trying to wiggle it.

I have a home made puller that would probably work but they're not that expensive, Screwfix do one for £15 that looks like it may fit, a worthwhile addition to any home mechanics tool kit or may come in handy for a bit of home dentistry :ike:

A mate of mine made me a sprocket puller when he was at college. It was beautifully made and worked well but at some point some bugger nicked it.:(

• Sad 2