fork Seal

rjp996

rjp996

Looks like I came back from holiday to find one fo the front fork seals leaking somewhat.

I changed them in March 2017 I think (so 16 months and probably 28k miles im guessing) - Last time I replaced them both, wondering if to only replace the leaking one (and oil in both) - just the pig of a job it was to separate the top from bottom of the fork - what do you think - I realize I may get the other leak in 6 months... but maybe not for another 2 years :-)

Ive ordered the Fuch RSF 7.5w this time as opposed to the 10w to see what the difference is

embee

If they've been in service for any length of time at all, I'd always change them as a pair personally. It's often cracking or hardening of the rubber, if one has reached a certain point the other one is likely close behind.

The Fuchs/Silkolene RSF 7.5W is very much like most other 10W oils, which is what the factory uses (Showa SS-8 or similar), so it's likely to be similar to original. I use the 7.5W.

Whenever replacing seals I also rub the stanchions lightly with scotchbrite to put oil retention into the polished surfaces (circumferential). If you look at the unworn areas of the stanchions you can see the original ground finish used. If you can replicate that it's beneficial for the seals.

• Thanks 1
rjp996

thanks :-) oil arrived today - seals pick up Sat - nice job for the weekend

Iron horse

Have a look at Delboy's Garage on YouTube. He makes fork seals look really easy and some good tips too, especially for driving the bush and seal into place without damaging