NC750X Original Honda top box

Guest McDragon

Guest McDragon

Hi

My first post here :baby:

I would like to fit a 48L top box on my 2017 NC750X but I'm not very mechanically minded. I couldn't find any useful instructions or videos on how to do it. I guess its not rocket science but don't want to get half way in dismantling the back of my bike only to realize I haven't got a clue on how to put it back together again.

My local dealer if to busy to slot me in next week and it can't wait longer.

Any instructions you could forward to me?

Thanks 

Ciaran

Welcome! We're a friendly bunch if a bit mental. Fingers crossed you'll stick around.

If I remember rightly, I believe I have the Honda 48L top box. It's actually a SHAD one that's been rebranded and therefore the fitting kit in This link should suit your needs. Hopefully that makes some sense.:ahappy:

• Like 1
Ciaran

I think they're shipped from all over. SHAD themselves are a spanish manufacturer though my panniers were shipped from Turin in Italy (the wonders of the internet).

If your top box looks similar to the following two links I think it's safe to say they're SHAD rebranded ones and that fitment diagram should be perfect. Honda  SHAD 

3 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Welcome! We're a friendly bunch if a bit mental. Fingers crossed you'll stick around.

If I remember rightly, I believe I have the Honda 48L top box. It's actually a SHAD one that's been rebranded and therefore the fitting kit in This link should suit your needs. Hopefully that makes some sense.:ahappy:

mine is a 45L Honda oem and it does not attach as the link. it may be made by Givi  since the label on the box said MADE IN ITALY

Edited by wendeg
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I think they're shipped from all over. SHAD themselves are a spanish manufacturer though my panniers were shipped from Turin in Italy (the wonders of the internet).

If your top box looks similar to the following two links I think it's safe to say they're SHAD rebranded ones and that fitment diagram should be perfect. Honda  SHAD 

My 29L Honda oem panniers  may be made y Shad since the label read MADE IN SPAIN

Mr Toad

Mine is the OEM Honda top box and is made by Shad. I wasn't aware that there were both 45l and 48l variants and I have no idea which mine is.

I'll toddle off to the garage and have a look to see if I can tell.........it doesn't actually say.

Ciaran
11 minutes ago, wendeg said:

The Shad made one has more rounded edges. Mine is this   http://hondaitalia.com/accessori/dettaglio/bauletto-45l/1329/

Aesthetically i would prefer mine over the shad one because there are no steel brackets and a top plate. A rear (non-metal) rack replaces the grab rails

The locking mechanism of yours is very similar to a set of Kappa K33N panniers I had on a Yamaha a few years back. Kappa are made by Givi so I suspect yours is indeed a Givi manufactured kit.

I've never seen those ones in the UK interestingly...

14 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

The locking mechanism of yours is very similar to a set of Kappa K33N panniers I had on a Yamaha a few years back. Kappa are made by Givi so I suspect yours is indeed a Givi manufactured kit.

I've never seen those ones in the UK interestingly...

Yes, quite positive both oem rear carrier and 45l top box are made in the same factory as Givi and Kappa. Just rechecked both their respective packaging boxes and they re made in Italy. Side luggages are made in spain.

I would consider the setup in the link i provided since imo it goes better with the existing lines of the bike and also there is minimal clutter of steel brackets. If i remember correctly there was someone here who had a fracture failure on one of the steel brackets.

Ciaran

I would only urge caution with the set up in the link if you intend to have side cases. (attached).

Hopefully it's easy enough to see but the bracket sticks out quite a bit on the Shad sets.Makes it rather wide, certainly wider than the mirrors. I've not found it too much of an issue as I'm fairly cautious when filtering but it's worthy of attention.

33662625_10155838319227955_3509131036954984448_o 2.jpg

Guest McDragon

OK. received the kit today but was again given wrong information by the Honda dealer.

I was told that the original Honda panniers use the same key as the ignition key but the top box doesn't even though its also the original Honda one.

Yesterday found out that the lock needs to be setup and that required a service booking and I already had problems with this when I wanted the whole top box fitted as they had no availability in the coming days.

However they have agreed to get me a shorter slot just to have the lock setup, they kept the box (that contains the lock) but gave me the brackets and the plate on which the top box sits and is attached to so I could assemble to the bike. 

It wasn't to difficult but I did manage to loose a washer from the old fitting and it went down into what I could only describe as the other (third) Bermuda triangle. The first one being the one in the Caribbean, the second one is that awful little bit in your car between the seat and the centre console. 

I cannot retrieve it other than to disassemble a part of the bike that I would rather not to. Is it in danger of causing problems??

The assembly was a little tricky as you have to basically take the hand rails off and put the new top box assembly in between the bike and the hand rail. With a new washer at the bottom. A bit fiddly but managed to prevent loosing other washers by taping them to the rack.

One thing I noticed is that the opening mechanism for the passenger seat that reveals the tank cap is sticky and I have checked that the new brackets aren't causing an issue.

1 hour ago, McDragon said:

OK. received the kit today but was again given wrong information by the Honda dealer.

I was told that the original Honda panniers use the same key as the ignition key but the top box doesn't even though its also the original Honda one.

The 45L one is just like that. Top box has a small key very similar to a previous Givi/Kappa one I had.

As to the building of the mechanism lock on the side panniers, I was afraid that it was not a job I could undertake but found the courage, the space and some patience (well, a lot...) to do it and had a go myself. It was a very interesting thing to do. A simple job really if you follow the instructions. I think I made both in 45min max. The first one took longer... the second one I did it in 10mins since you will record the pins to put during the build-up of the first lock

Jeffprince

Hi Martin, 

Welcome to the forum! Well done on fitting the rack. Can't really answer whether that washer poses a risk or not. First thought is, has it dropped through to the ground? Worth having a search around....these things tend to roll into oblivion most often. Second thought is, try one of those magnet on a wire things. Maybe poking a magnet into the void will retrieve it. Beware dropping the magnet in, though...remember there was an old lady who swallowed a fly!

Guessing you bought from Thunder Road in Bridgend? Got mine from there, they are decent enough.

Final thought, it's worth checking the tightness of the bolts holding the box occasionally. Am thinking particularly of the Givi racks, but would apply to most things we bolt on to our bikes.