ABS Light

Guest Flanker37

Guest Flanker37

Hi guys, long time no post.

All i ever do is post problems with me bike lol, and tonight is no different.

Bike went in to CMC Cannock 3 weeks back for 21k service, and ever since i left the shop the ABS light has been blinking constantly.  It's took a while to pin it down to something.  It's coming on once the bike hits 50mph.  And doesnt go away until the bike is turned off.

I've spoke to CMC, they said bring it in, they will have a look at it, but its 60 miles away, and a bitch to get to.  I could take it to CMC chesterfield, which is 45 miles away.  But they have a habit of not putting my bike back together proper (mind you cannock are no better, missing them black plastic fasteners on my frunk that were there before)

thoughts...................?

kayz1

Did you have new brakes fitted!/ chain and sprockets maybe...New tyres???

Lyn.

Guest Flanker37

no not this trip, that all got done last june, to my knowledge it was a bog standard service

Edited by Flanker37
embee

Bent pole wheel seems the regular culprit. Not sure why 50mph though, unless the output from the pick-up reaches a level where any anomaly crosses a threshold? Andy...……….ANDY...……………….ANDY!!!

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Guest machinman

Just had a google, sticking rear brake pedal seem a maybe culprit??

Ive had a sticky pedal through corrosion, but not the ABS problem.

Dunnster
13 minutes ago, embee said:

Bent pole wheel seems the regular culprit. Not sure why 50mph though, unless the output from the pick-up reaches a level where any anomaly crosses a threshold? Andy...……….ANDY...……………….ANDY!!!

He might be some time, he's heading down to the Ace cafe...., 

Have you checked the sensor on the calliper's? If the mechanic has looked at the pads, maybe some dirt or grease causing an issue?

does the light come on at startup, go off when setting off and then comes back on at 50 mph?

Edited by Dunnster
Andy m

Setting off after first breakfast tomorrow.

Two thoughts

1. Sensor fault logged but caused by polewheel/ vibration. Something happens at 50 mph where it has a paddy over the speeds. Check the tyre pressures, polewheels and wheel bearings.

2. Voltage. Does something happen with the fuel pump or something else at 50 that uses power? The ABS uses 12V as zero so has a wobbly as soon as minus zero pops up in a sum. 1 is more likely, a bad battery causes 2 when the engine cranks.

The diagnostic tool will give you the starting point in minutes, so if nothing visual stands out, I'd take that run to the dealers.

Andy

• Like 1
Guest Flanker37
55 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Have you checked the sensor on the calliper's? If the mechanic has looked at the pads, maybe some dirt or grease causing an issue?

does the light come on at startup, go off when setting off and then comes back on at 50 mph?

It does that, come on/off at start up, then flashes like mad once the bike hits 50mph.

Andy, i think what you are saying is it needs to go back to Honda for the diagnostic check, as i cant imagine CMC will have it, as they are yamaha dealers.

Mr Toad
11 hours ago, Flanker37 said:

It does that, come on/off at start up, then flashes like mad once the bike hits 50mph.

Andy, i think what you are saying is it needs to go back to Honda for the diagnostic check, as i cant imagine CMC will have it, as they are yamaha dealers.

I would think CMC will have Honda diagnostics as well as the software for all the popular makes as they sell and service.

SteveThackery
5 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

I would think CMC will have Honda diagnostics as well as the software for all the popular makes as they sell and service.

Ring them first and see if you think they know what they are talking about.

Andy m

First question; can you connect and read the full list of stored faults, not just the current one.

Doesn't the NC have a display like the CB where you ground a wire on the orange plug and it gives you a code? This will only be current which with a sensor fault can take the unwary in the wrong direction but could be worth a go?

Andy