Sticking throttle

Zoeson

:baby: when I start the engine tickover 

fine, when reved it ticks over around 2000 revs and won’t go into gear.Will go into gear when I start it

and don’t rev before putting it into gear,when riding and slowing down the revs don’t drop below 2000 revs.

SteveThackery

Sounds like a sticking throttle cable to me.  You might need to replace them, but for now it's worth trying to force some oil down them.  I've used '3-in-1 with PTFE' aerosol in the past.  VERY much easier with a cable lubricator gadget.  Put this number into the search box on that well known auction site:

• Like 3
embee

Has it always been like this or just started happening? Gradually got worse or suddenly? Have you had the bike long or recent? Is it new or used? What mileage? Just been fiddled with by a dealer or never?

There are adjusters down at the throttle body for both cables to get the basic adjustment correct, then another on one cable up at the twistgrip for fine tuning the free-play between them. If the adjustment down at the throttle is incorrect it may be preventing the throttle closing correctly, in which case when you move it the ECU may decide the throttle is not closed and alter the idle speed control function to a running setting, usually the "idle air" is increased to a fast setting once the throttle is off the stop in order to improve driveability and reduce jerkiness and avoid stalling etc, only once the position sensor says the throttle is closed does it ramp back down to slow idle.

As said by Steve, sounds like the throttle isn't going fully back to the stop for some reason. The two cable system should allow you to push it closed even if the cables are a bit sticky, but if adjusted incorrectly it may not be able to get there (e.g. twistgrip reaches the end of its travel before throttle is fully closed).

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
kayz1

You are not very far from me, you could always pop out for a ride and drop in here for a cuppa, i can take a look and see if i can fix it for you....if fixing things is not your forte....

I am only in Holywell just a throw down the A55.

Lyn.

• Like 4
SteveThackery
4 hours ago, embee said:

The two cable system should allow you to push it closed even if the cables are a bit sticky, but if adjusted incorrectly it may not be able to get there (e.g. twistgrip reaches the end of its travel before throttle is fully closed).

That's a good point - thanks, Murray.  Yes, you are supposed to be able to force it closed, which suggests - if nothing else - that the cables may be out of adjustment.

👨‍🚒 kayz 1 has kindly suggested I pop and see him he maybe able to help,the problem seems to be intermittent.

my local Honda dealer keeps suggesting it needs to go on the diognostic test.

rjp996

Mine when I first start it f on cold, it will go into gear, however if I rev it right after starting, I have to wait for the idle to drop below 2k. 

To me it's the fuelling when starting from cold. If I do the same once the bike is warm it's fine

kayz1
21 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

Mine when I first start it f on cold, it will go into gear, however if I rev it right after starting, I have to wait for the idle to drop below 2k. 

To me it's the fuelling when starting from cold. If I do the same once the bike is warm it's fine

Mine used to be that way also, the X-ADV seems a lot better in that respect, ie; it does not Rev as high when first started in the cold.

Seem to be able to put it into gear almost at once.

Lyn.

Graham NZ

Agree that the first thing to check is that there is enough twistgrip backlash.  Too little can cause problems with the ECU.

:cheer:thanks for all your replies kas1 kindly had a look at cabling made one or two adjustments but to no avail,we seem to think it may be electrical so will have to book a diagnostic test to try and sort the problem out. I will put a message out when and if the problem is solved.

cheers to all zoe son.

• Like 2

There's a "throttle valve fully closed reset" procedure in the service manual, p 7-19 in the 700 manual. Sounds like that would be a good candidate.

Graham NZ
2 hours ago, embee said:

There's a "throttle valve fully closed reset" procedure in the service manual, p 7-19 in the 700 manual. Sounds like that would be a good candidate.

That would be TPS reset presumably?

Throttle Position Sensor, yes. If it isn't recognising the throttle as definitely closed it may (I don't know for sure, but normal practice in cars) adopt a "rolling idle" where the engine speed is kept slightly higher than base idle once the vehicle is driven or throttle opened to avoid stalling etc when blipping the throttle and improves driveability.

Mine doesn't usually reach 2000rpm on a cold start I don't think, usually starts somewhere a bit above 1500 or so then begins to ramp down fairly promptly, 30sec to 1min after start for example.

• Like 1

Hi all bike booked for a diognostic

check 4 th September,

i will let you know if they find the problem and hopefully fix it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2018 at 10:41, kayz1 said:

You are not very far from me, you could always pop out for a ride and drop in here for a cuppa, i can take a look and see if i can fix it for you....if fixing things is not your forte....

I am only in Holywell just a throw down the A55.

Lyn.

Hi all hope this message reaches you all, the problem with my overrunning engine was the engine cooling temperature sensor corroded so wasn’t sending the correct message to the ecu all clean up and working.

also while doing the diognostic check found a gearbox fault re initialised it and now bike is working fine, thanks for input 

cheers Ian

• Like 4