It has let me down at last.

outrunner

outrunner

After doing 210 miles yesterday I got the bike out this morning hoping for another great day. About 50 yards from home the engine management light was on so I stopped the bike, switched it of and on again but the light was still on. I thought I will give it a couple of miles to see if it changes anything but I only got another few hundred yards and it refused to change up any further than 2nd gear and the gear indicator was not working. Turned around and went home to have a wee look to see if there was anything obviously wrong. I took off the guard under the engine and checked all the connectors which seemed OK, oil level is fine, battery connections are fine, so I have no idea what is wrong with it. Only thing that comes to mind is that I washed it last night and as it gets very little in the way of washing perhaps it has taken the pet, so now it is sitting in the sun hoping the heat will remove any water that is hanging about (I doubt that is the problem though). Tried the DCT reset procedure but that will not work either. Luckily my mechanic is back from his hols on Tuesday so I will see what he has to say about it. The real pain is that it is a great day and I have another 2 bikes but none of them have  tax or MOT.:cry:

Andy.

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 3

Oh, rotten luck Andy. The fact it won’t go higher than 2nd might suggest a speed sensor? But someone with greater knowledge of DCT might be able to help more..

Mr Toad
23 minutes ago, Tex said:

Oh, rotten luck Andy. The fact it won’t go higher than 2nd might suggest a speed sensor? But someone with greater knowledge of DCT might be able to help more..

Sounds to me like it's gone into limp home mode because it's detected a problem, or thinks it has.

• Like 1

One thing I admire Triumph For is the use of a standard EOBDII socket for diagnostics. A £10 reader from the auction site and you’re on your way. 

• Like 1
Andy m

I think its a sensor too, or the loom going to it. IIRC there is a rotary position sensor that is a bit infamous in the DCT?

OBD on bikes is a joke. The US enforced it on cars which negated the EU caving in to vested interests at the manufacturers. Cutting the plug off and wiring an OBDii isn't so bad, (its what we do on busses), but for bikes there are pretty cheap adapters

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-and-Car-OBD2-Adaptors/OBD2-Motorbike-Adaptors

Triumph playing by the spirit of the rules won't win them many admirers, but I'd join that club.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Andy m thanks. I didn’t know those adaptors even existed. If I owned one of the ‘certain Honda models’ I would have one in a shot!

outrunner
38 minutes ago, DervMan said:

@outrunner have you tried putting the bike into ECU Debug mode? Never done it myself but I believe it will tell you what it thinks has failed.

What is this debug mode you speak of?

Andy.

kayz1

On my 750 X it was a red socket by the battery, Honda have a special tool ( plug ) to fit to it but you could just use a bit of wire to short two pins together in order to enable the diagnostic mode.

Then you have to count the flashes on the dash, the owners manual tells you what is what re: the amount of flashes. Can be very helpful.

Lyn.

Edited by kayz1
  • Like 1

Have you checked the side stand switch? Quite notorious for causing all sorts of electrical anomalies..

embee

The connector onto the dash display is also a relatively common candidate. What you are describing sounds a fairly comprehensive breakdown in communications rather than just a single issue. Well worth taking this out, spray with contact cleaner, allow to dry and refit, work it in/out a couple of times to clean the pins. I believe the dash isn't simply a "dumb terminal", it does some signal processing, so a bad connector here will upset the overall system. Others have had similar issues with this connector.

The DCT reset is purely an initialisation of the clutch operating points, it doesn't do anything regarding the operation of the DCT system as such and as far as I know DCT system faults don't cause the check engine MIL lamp to come on.

If the front ABS signal is lost it will only select 1st gear (as you can demonstrate by putting a DCT bike into gear while on the centre stand). 

If everything was working perfectly prior to you washing it, that may well be the clue.

outrunner

When going through the likely suspects on the bike I did take off all the connectors I could reach and inspected/cleaned them (including taking the dash out) put it all together and it was still the same. Today I went to the mechanic and stole his van to take my bike to his place, on taking the bike off the van I ran it up and down the large car park and the gears were shifting normally but the MIL was still on. He plugged in the diagnostic computer and it had recorded a display communication fault so he cleared the codes and the light went off. Best guess is that some water had got into the dash plug triggering a fault but by the time I got around to checking everything it had probably dried itself off so the cure for avoiding this is obviously to stop washing it! ;) Anyhoo, I gave it a sound thrashing on the way home and all is well.:) As an afterthought, I am sure Honda could have found a more awkward place to put the diagnostic plug. :whistle:

Andy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Guest DervMan
23 hours ago, outrunner said:

When going through the likely suspects on the bike I did take off all the connectors I could reach and inspected/cleaned them (including taking the dash out) put it all together and it was still the same. Today I went to the mechanic and stole his van to take my bike to his place, on taking the bike off the van I ran it up and down the large car park and the gears were shifting normally but the MIL was still on. He plugged in the diagnostic computer and it had recorded a display communication fault so he cleared the codes and the light went off. Best guess is that some water had got into the dash plug triggering a fault but by the time I got around to checking everything it had probably dried itself off so the cure for avoiding this is obviously to stop washing it! ;) Anyhoo, I gave it a sound thrashing on the way home and all is well.:) As an afterthought, I am sure Honda could have found a more awkward place to put the diagnostic plug. :whistle:

Andy.

That’s good news. Did you happen to notice what diagnostic kit he was using?

outrunner
6 minutes ago, DervMan said:

That’s good news. Did you happen to notice what diagnostic kit he was using?

Yes, a few months ago he invested in the Texa system, does all virtually all  bikes as far as I am aware, it is not cheap however.

Andy.

• Like 1