Hamish

Pointy head problems

Hamish

You know, the helmet that fits snuggly in the shop (as it should), fits too snuggly after an hour and gives you a thumping headache after a couple of hours?

Am I the only one who has carefully scraped away at the polystyrene shell of a helmet to get rid of pressure points? A few millimetres works wonders for the comfort and sometimes it’s the only way to continue using the helmet. Or have I just got a particularly pointy head?

Safety aspects??

kayz1

Yes!!!:muttley:

• Haha 2

kayz1

every body has either a shoei or Arai shape of head no others exist...Well you could at a push add Schuberth but in my view they are the same as Shoei.

Lyn.

• Haha 1

Rocker66
12 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

every body has either a shoei or Arai shape of head no others exist...Well you could at a push add Schuberth but in my view they are the same as Shoei.

Lyn.

That’s not quite as true as it used to be. A Shoei rep explained to me that they changed the shape on some of their helmets to attract Arai customers. Personally I have Shoei Arai and AGV helmets all of which I find comfortable. The only helmet I have that gives me a problem which is a headache over distances is my Schumacher rep Schubert’s which I no longer use.

Grumpy Meltdown

Scraping the polystyrene is a bit messy I think.

A better solution is to use a heavy spoon and compress the styrene.

I did that on my Schuberth. It took a few goes of doing a bit, riding, doing a bit more, etc.

You do have to apply a good deal,of pressure though, as it tends to bounce back a bit.

It also helps if you wear it often.

• Like 1

Spindizzy
8 hours ago, CFB said:

Scraping the polystyrene is a bit messy I think.

A better solution is to use a heavy spoon and compress the styrene.

I did that on my Schuberth. It took a few goes of doing a bit, riding, doing a bit more, etc.

You do have to apply a good deal,of pressure though, as it tends to bounce back a bit.

It also helps if you wear it often.

+1. Used back of a spoon on my Shoei to get a perfect fit 

• Like 1

gonzo
12 hours ago, Hamish said:

You know, the helmet that fits snuggly in the shop (as it should), fits too snuggly after an hour and gives you a thumping headache after a couple of hours?

Am I the only one who has carefully scraped away at the polystyrene shell of a helmet to get rid of pressure points? A few millimetres works wonders for the comfort and sometimes it’s the only way to continue using the helmet. Or have I just got a particularly pointy head?

Safety aspects??

Are you in the police force ,,  ??

• Haha 1

embee

I had a Schuberth, pressure on the forehead became uncomfortable after an hour or so for me. Shoei fits me perfectly (Qwest and Neotec).

I think the helmet folk make different shapes for different markets too, the average US head isn't the same shape as the average Indonesian head. Maybe you need a Martian version. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

arengle

18 minutes ago, embee said:

I had a Schuberth, pressure on the forehead became uncomfortable after an hour or so for me. Shoei fits me perfectly (Qwest and Neotec).

I think the helmet folk make different shapes for different markets too, the average US head isn't the same shape as the average Indonesian head. Maybe you need a Martian version. 

generally the head is round to oval and some helmets are more round and other more oval, and I have similar issues, my head is more round and Shoei Qwest fits me perfectly but GT Air is made for more oval head and I have pressure on the head side. Also another point is the size, we all go with L, XL but Shoei and rest the XL size is 61/62 cm, when for Schubert XL is 60/61, so the exist the chance that you just got a helmet half size to small

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, arengle said:

generally the head is round to oval and some helmets are more round and other more oval, and I have similar issues, my head is more round and Shoei Qwest fits me perfectly but GT Air is made for more oval head and I have pressure on the head side. Also another point is the size, we all go with L, XL but Shoei and rest the XL size is 61/62 cm, when for Schubert XL is 60/61, so the exist the chance that you just got a helmet half size to small

That’s one of the reasons I would never buy a helmet by mail order but would to try it on in the dealers. Icon now supply dealers with helmets that potential customers can actually wear for a test ride before buying.

• Like 2

cazmal
17 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Lyn.

I can only get Schuberth XS to fit my head.  Nothing else is remotely close. Tried a Shoei once  - lovely fit in the shop but got such a bad headache from it that I went back to another Schuberth (Ladies version xs)

suffolk58

I seem to have an "Italian" head. I used to use Nolan helmets as they always seemed to be comfy from the off, but they seem to be rare these days.

I then moved to AGV but they were a bit late to the flip up scene.

I bought a very expensive Arai, but could never get on with it. I have a couple of Shoei's, but can never seem to get them tight enough.

I also have a couple of Caberg's, which have been excellent for the money.

Oh, and I use a Shark for my cycle race marshalling....I'm glad I didn't pay for it!

Grumpy Meltdown

Mmm Cabergs.

I had a justissimo and it was like jamming a metal bucket on my head, using the handle for a chin strap.

Pressure in a ring all round my head and a severe headache after about 1/2hr, even though it was a great fit in the shop.

It wobbled about on my head while riding.

I still have it, sitting in the garage in its bag gathering spiders.

Hamish
11 hours ago, gonzo said:

Are you in the police force ,,  ??

:)

The pointy bit is not on top, usually front and back...   

And Embee, if you can tell me what a Martian head looks like, I'll tell you if I've got one. :)

Seriously, rather than getting a new helmet, scraping away at the shell works for me. Gives a perfectly contoured fit to my bonce.

slowboy

Done it myself with a Davida. It made it better, but it just wasn't my head size. Although my head fits both Arai and Shoei, and my new Nitro sourced road legal MX helmet.

Walklikegump

Tried a few Evoline Series 3 flips at Motorcycle Live , found the right fit, ordered one in a better design  from them . By the time it arrived my head changed shape and shrunk.

Still using it but haven't had a chance to ( and it scared of getting it wrong again ) get another one.