Jump to content
Hamish

Pointy head problems

Recommended Posts

Hamish

You know, the helmet that fits snuggly in the shop (as it should), fits too snuggly after an hour and gives you a thumping headache after a couple of hours?

 

Am I the only one who has carefully scraped away at the polystyrene shell of a helmet to get rid of pressure points? A few millimetres works wonders for the comfort and sometimes it’s the only way to continue using the helmet. Or have I just got a particularly pointy head?

 

Safety aspects??

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1

Yes!!!:muttley:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1

every body has either a shoei or Arai shape of head no others exist...Well you could at a push add Schuberth but in my view they are the same as Shoei.

Lyn.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
12 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

every body has either a shoei or Arai shape of head no others exist...Well you could at a push add Schuberth but in my view they are the same as Shoei.

Lyn.

 

That’s not quite as true as it used to be. A Shoei rep explained to me that they changed the shape on some of their helmets to attract Arai customers. Personally I have Shoei Arai and AGV helmets all of which I find comfortable. The only helmet I have that gives me a problem which is a headache over distances is my Schumacher rep Schubert’s which I no longer use.

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy Meltdown

Scraping the polystyrene is a bit messy I think.

A better solution is to use a heavy spoon and compress the styrene.

I did that on my Schuberth. It took a few goes of doing a bit, riding, doing a bit more, etc.

You do have to apply a good deal,of pressure though, as it tends to bounce back a bit.

It also helps if you wear it often.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
8 hours ago, CFB said:

Scraping the polystyrene is a bit messy I think.

A better solution is to use a heavy spoon and compress the styrene.

I did that on my Schuberth. It took a few goes of doing a bit, riding, doing a bit more, etc.

You do have to apply a good deal,of pressure though, as it tends to bounce back a bit.

It also helps if you wear it often.

 

 

+1. Used back of a spoon on my Shoei to get a perfect fit 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gonzo
12 hours ago, Hamish said:

You know, the helmet that fits snuggly in the shop (as it should), fits too snuggly after an hour and gives you a thumping headache after a couple of hours?

 

Am I the only one who has carefully scraped away at the polystyrene shell of a helmet to get rid of pressure points? A few millimetres works wonders for the comfort and sometimes it’s the only way to continue using the helmet. Or have I just got a particularly pointy head?

 

Safety aspects??

Are you in the police force ,,  ??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
embee

I had a Schuberth, pressure on the forehead became uncomfortable after an hour or so for me. Shoei fits me perfectly (Qwest and Neotec).

I think the helmet folk make different shapes for different markets too, the average US head isn't the same shape as the average Indonesian head. Maybe you need a Martian version. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
arengle

 

18 minutes ago, embee said:

I had a Schuberth, pressure on the forehead became uncomfortable after an hour or so for me. Shoei fits me perfectly (Qwest and Neotec).

I think the helmet folk make different shapes for different markets too, the average US head isn't the same shape as the average Indonesian head. Maybe you need a Martian version. 

generally the head is round to oval and some helmets are more round and other more oval, and I have similar issues, my head is more round and Shoei Qwest fits me perfectly but GT Air is made for more oval head and I have pressure on the head side. Also another point is the size, we all go with L, XL but Shoei and rest the XL size is 61/62 cm, when for Schubert XL is 60/61, so the exist the chance that you just got a helmet half size to small

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
5 minutes ago, arengle said:

 

generally the head is round to oval and some helmets are more round and other more oval, and I have similar issues, my head is more round and Shoei Qwest fits me perfectly but GT Air is made for more oval head and I have pressure on the head side. Also another point is the size, we all go with L, XL but Shoei and rest the XL size is 61/62 cm, when for Schubert XL is 60/61, so the exist the chance that you just got a helmet half size to small

That’s one of the reasons I would never buy a helmet by mail order but would to try it on in the dealers. Icon now supply dealers with helmets that potential customers can actually wear for a test ride before buying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
cazmal
17 hours ago, kayz1 said:

every body has either a shoei or Arai shape of head no others exist...Well you could at a push add Schuberth but in my view they are the same as Shoei.

Lyn.

 

I can only get Schuberth XS to fit my head.  Nothing else is remotely close. Tried a Shoei once  - lovely fit in the shop but got such a bad headache from it that I went back to another Schuberth (Ladies version xs)

Share this post


Link to post
suffolk58

I seem to have an "Italian" head. I used to use Nolan helmets as they always seemed to be comfy from the off, but they seem to be rare these days.

I then moved to AGV but they were a bit late to the flip up scene.

I bought a very expensive Arai, but could never get on with it. I have a couple of Shoei's, but can never seem to get them tight enough.

I also have a couple of Caberg's, which have been excellent for the money.

Oh, and I use a Shark for my cycle race marshalling....I'm glad I didn't pay for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy Meltdown

Mmm Cabergs.

I had a justissimo and it was like jamming a metal bucket on my head, using the handle for a chin strap.

Pressure in a ring all round my head and a severe headache after about 1/2hr, even though it was a great fit in the shop.

It wobbled about on my head while riding.

I still have it, sitting in the garage in its bag gathering spiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Hamish
11 hours ago, gonzo said:

Are you in the police force ,,  ??

   

:)

The pointy bit is not on top, usually front and back...   

 

And Embee, if you can tell me what a Martian head looks like, I'll tell you if I've got one. :)

 

Seriously, rather than getting a new helmet, scraping away at the shell works for me. Gives a perfectly contoured fit to my bonce.

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy

Done it myself with a Davida. It made it better, but it just wasn't my head size. Although my head fits both Arai and Shoei, and my new Nitro sourced road legal MX helmet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Walklikegump

Tried a few Evoline Series 3 flips at Motorcycle Live , found the right fit, ordered one in a better design  from them . By the time it arrived my head changed shape and shrunk.

Still using it but haven't had a chance to ( and it scared of getting it wrong again ) get another one.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×