alhendo1

It was all going so well......

alhendo1
Posted (edited)

Hi folks...a rather long winded post here so if you like...grab a brew and read on😅...As you may or may not remember I bought my CB500x on the 2nd June and loved it so much I put around 3500 miles on it rather quickly....that mileage is rather pertinent as around that time literally out of nowhere I began to get some vibration through the handlebars....very noticeable at idle and noticeable on the move...it had none of these traits before other than the well documented 5000rpm vibration which didn't bother me.

I did a bit of reading on tinterweb and found that most owners find these bikes vibe free but there are some cases of vibration appearing and solutions vary from slackening off the engine mounts a bit then re torquing to filling the bars with lead shot/sand....so there is a potential issue.....I approached the dealer I bought the bike from who played dumb and said it felt ok...seriously...and had a go at slackening off/re torquing 4 of the engine mounts....didn't make any difference. 

I persevered for another few miles but decided to get it back into the dealer as I know it's not right.....they (allegedly) 

checked all nuts/bolts were torqued correctly,  compared it against a 3 year old white one in the showroom and said that was the same (absolute rubbish as I test rode that one which was the basis for me buying this....other than a clunky gearchange...very smooth) and had 2 of their mechanics test ride it and they all agree "nothing wrong they're all like that sir."

They also managed to seriously over tightening my chain which I'd asked them not to touch....thankfully I spotted this prior to leaving and had them loosen it off...oh and was charged a nominal half an hours labour ...33quid...as there was no warranty issue found....

Needless to say I'm now done with Glasgows premiere Honda Dealer.

I'm basically venting off some steam here and looking for your collective thoughts as to where to go next...do I; 

1. Approach another Honda dealer for a second opinion...the one in Ayr overfilled the oil on my NC and over tightened the chain so Edinburgh /Dundee/Northwest England are my nearest....we're not exactly tripping over Honda dealers in the West of Scotland. .

2. Try and find a local trustworthy /knowlegeable mechanic (not easy in my area as most have been swallowed up by big dealers...although someone on the CBforum recommended one in Falkirk to give it a look. 

3.As the bike is so new I'd looked into rejecting it but am cautious as this is not an obvious defect ie....something you can hear/see and vibration is a subjective thing.....with all that said my take on it is even if they took back the bike I'd still be penalised for the wear and tear/abject high mileage so would probably be as well trading it in and taking a serious financial hit....which I'm not really prepared to do....

Anyone know any trustworthy mechanics in the Glasgow area😅

I really like the bike and as it is it's do able on shorter runs to work etc....and I can live with it but it's annoying and I'm hoping it's not going to get any worse...thanks for sticking with me...any thoughts/advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by alhendo1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Tonyj

not a great feeling you are left with , certainly breaks the confidence in the local lawnmower mechanics training. I had a similar thing trying to sort a knocking noise . it ranged from they all do that to the exhaust .

• Thanks 1

Dunnster

Sorry to read about your problem, the only thing I can suggest is, have the mechanics rode yours and the 'white 3 year old' one back to back to compare? 

• Thanks 1

alhendo1
40 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Sorry to read about your problem, the only thing I can suggest is, have the mechanics rode yours and the 'white 3 year old' one back to back to compare? 

I'm not sure about that but they'll just say whatever it takes anyway...the workshop manager said he had two mechanics test riding my bike and they said it was fine...quite frankly I don't really think I'd want them doing anything else with my bike anyway after seeing how tight the chain was....unbelievable. ..

• Sad 1

Dunnster

I hope you get the problem resolved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602

Hope you get it resolved. I didn't keep mine for long enough to really get to the mileage you had (sometimes wish I had now!) and don't remember the issue you describe. It's a shame the dealer is so dismissive; it's easy for them to think it's fine but they must respect their attitude determines whether you'll be back or not.

• Thanks 1

macamx

This is obviously terribly wrong, both the vibration (which should definitely not be there) and the way the dealer has reacted. My approach would now be to go directly to Honda customer services both in a telephone call and also in a recorded delivery letter stating the fault that has arisen and detailing the dealer's refusal to address the issue to an acceptable level. Factual and polite but in writing the way go.

Geoff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stephenmcg

Have a look at front wheel and see if any marks indicating that a balance weight has come off.

smcg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonyj

I’ve had tyres go out of balance as they have worn which created a problem at 70 mph . Checked everything else before hand . My friend had to send two Michelin’s back , couldn’t get enough lead on it :0)

• Thanks 1

Brigante7

I use Two wheels Honda in Edinburgh and have no complaints with their service, but then my 750X is my first bike and I've only ever used Two wheels so I can't compare them to another Honda dealer, sorry.

Brigante7.

alhendo1
1 hour ago, stephenmcg said:

Have a look at front wheel and see if any marks indicating that a balance weight has come off.

smcg

Hi Stephen. Checked and all balance weights are still in place.

alhendo1
40 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

I use Two wheels Honda in Edinburgh and have no complaints with their service, but then my 750X is my first bike and I've only ever used Two wheels so I can't compare them to another Honda dealer, sorry.

Brigante7.

I can see this as the next logical step to do....go and see them and also register the complaint with customer services ....got to start somewhere....

alhendo1

I've just had the bike out for a run there and it seems to be from 1200 to 3500rpm going through 1st to 3rd/4th gear it feels quite vibey...a bit stuttery...then sitting around 35 to 40 mph in 4th it feels vibey/stuttery again...after that once you're up to 50/60/70 there are vibes but not as bad as it was before..I know this sounds odd but it's as if the vibrations seem to move around.....on the centrestand there's quite a bit of vibration through the tank/bars/headstock/rear frame ....once it's on the sidestand a bit less so....all very strange. .

I appreciate it's nigh on impossible to diagnose something like this via a forum without actually riding the bike and feeling what's going on so thanks to those who have replied and offered suggestions....it's appreciated. 

If I was to guess I'd say it's either needing all engine mounts loosened off/engine supported/checked for alignment and re torqued .... or....there's something untoward going on in the engine.....time will tell.....

Dunnster

Have you lost a wheel weight recently?

alhendo1
1 minute ago, Dunnster said:

Have you lost a wheel weight recently?

No...all still present and correct.

• Like 1

Dunnster

Hhhmmm not a wheel weight/balance issue then. 

So its vibey on tick over? But different/not as much depending on if it's on side stand or center stand. 

Seems to be a engine mounting issue as weight/balance will be moved depending on stand used affecting the vibration and how it's felt. 

alhendo1
3 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Hhhmmm not a wheel weight/balance issue then. 

So its vibey on tick over? But different/not as much depending on if it's on side stand or center stand. 

Seems to be a engine mounting issue as weight/balance will be moved depending on stand used affecting the vibration and how it's felt. 

That's kind of what I was thinking...

Eddie17
On 07/08/2018 at 17:52, alhendo1 said:

Hi folks...a rather long winded post here so if you like...grab a brew and read on😅...As you may or may not remember I bought my CB500x on the 2nd June and loved it so much I put around 3500 miles on it rather quickly....that mileage is rather pertinent as around that time literally out of nowhere I began to get some vibration through the handlebars....very noticeable at idle and noticeable on the move...it had none of these traits before other than the well documented 5000rpm vibration which didn't bother me.

I did a bit of reading on tinterweb and found that most owners find these bikes vibe free but there are some cases of vibration appearing and solutions vary from slackening off the engine mounts a bit then re torquing to filling the bars with lead shot/sand....so there is a potential issue.....I approached the dealer I bought the bike from who played dumb and said it felt ok...seriously...and had a go at slackening off/re torquing 4 of the engine mounts....didn't make any difference. 

I persevered for another few miles but decided to get it back into the dealer as I know it's not right.....they (allegedly) 

checked all nuts/bolts were torqued correctly,  compared it against a 3 year old white one in the showroom and said that was the same (absolute rubbish as I test rode that one which was the basis for me buying this....other than a clunky gearchange...very smooth) and had 2 of their mechanics test ride it and they all agree "nothing wrong they're all like that sir."

They also managed to seriously over tightening my chain which I'd asked them not to touch....thankfully I spotted this prior to leaving and had them loosen it off...oh and was charged a nominal half an hours labour ...33quid...as there was no warranty issue found....

Needless to say I'm now done with Glasgows premiere Honda Dealer.

I'm basically venting off some steam here and looking for your collective thoughts as to where to go next...do I; 

1. Approach another Honda dealer for a second opinion...the one in Ayr overfilled the oil on my NC and over tightened the chain so Edinburgh /Dundee/Northwest England are my nearest....we're not exactly tripping over Honda dealers in the West of Scotland. .

2. Try and find a local trustworthy /knowlegeable mechanic (not easy in my area as most have been swallowed up by big dealers...although someone on the CBforum recommended one in Falkirk to give it a look. 

3.As the bike is so new I'd looked into rejecting it but am cautious as this is not an obvious defect ie....something you can hear/see and vibration is a subjective thing.....with all that said my take on it is even if they took back the bike I'd still be penalised for the wear and tear/abject high mileage so would probably be as well trading it in and taking a serious financial hit....which I'm not really prepared to do....

Anyone know any trustworthy mechanics in the Glasgow area😅

I really like the bike and as it is it's do able on shorter runs to work etc....and I can live with it but it's annoying and I'm hoping it's not going to get any worse...thanks for sticking with me...any thoughts/advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

I am not too sure of this dealership as well. Hopefully you can find a good mechanic . Let me know if you do 

Ed

• Thanks 1

Dunnster

Only other thing I can think of doing is going round and nipping up all bolts and fasteners. Checking for any plastic trim clips missing etc. Have you installed any accessories recently?

alhendo1
Just now, Dunnster said:

Only other thing I can think of doing is going round and nipping up all bolts and fasteners. Checking for any plastic trim clips missing etc. Have you installed any accessories recently?

Givi rear rack....that's been on since first service so not that and Evotech rad guard....well fitted and doesn't budge when checked so not that either....never fitted engine bars which according to Cb500 forum can cause all sorts of issues due to where they're mounted.

Dunnster

Correct chain tension and it's running straight with no stiff links?

Loose fuel cap? 

A bit left field, but correct oil and amount? 

alhendo1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Correct chain tension and it's running straight with no stiff links?

Loose fuel cap? 

A bit left field, but correct oil and amount? 

All of the above are good....well I can only assume the oil is correct as it was changed at 600 miles service  by the same dealer. Oil level sits nicely just below upper level in sight glass on centrestand.

Edited by alhendo1

Dunnster

One of those annoying issues without a quick fix due to the trial and error of problem solving. I hope you sort it soon, would be a shame to lose faith in what are brilliant bikes. 

• Thanks 1

embee
Posted (edited)

Silly one I know, but have you checked the plugs are in tight and the caps are actually pushed fully home? It's not unknown for a cap to be near enough on for the spark to jump to the plug but it doesn't run "properly" (DAMHIK).

It's got to be worth trying a new pair of plugs, just on the off chance. I've had some odd things happen when a plug goes down, not always what you'd expect. Annoying problem for sure.

Edited by embee

alhendo1
7 hours ago, embee said:

Silly one I know, but have you checked the plugs are in tight and the caps are actually pushed fully home? It's not unknown for a cap to be near enough on for the spark to jump to the plug but it doesn't run "properly" (DAMHIK).

It's got to be worth trying a new pair of plugs, just on the off chance. I've had some odd things happen when a plug goes down, not always what you'd expect. Annoying problem for sure.

The Cb is a tank off plus various plugs and covers to remove to get to the plugs so I'll mention it to the next dealer I take it to....would you say that if a plug was malfunctioning or plug lead loose or something the economy would suffer because it's very frugal and doesn't seem to be lacking in power....