Ciaran1602

Any experience with Shark helmets?

Ciaran1602

Broad question I know. I've always bought fairly cheap helmets cause I'm stingy and for the last few years have bought HJCs. However I want a flip front now I do a lot of urban riding, preferably one that doesn't make you totally unbalanced (and look daft) while using it. Sportsbikeshop have ridiculously good offers on the original model Evo-One so wondered if anyone had any experience with Shark helmets overall?

Walklikegump

I have the Evoline Series 3 in L size  . It doesn't fit in the frunk although  another member can get his in . There is a fair amount of wind noise and the vents don't seem to make a difference.

Ciaran1602

Ah fair, thanks for your input. I'm not bothered by the Frunk as my current full face can't fit in there either but the noise and poor ventilation would irritate.

neil700

Have a look see if there are still any old stock Schuberth C3's on the auction sites. Going at bargain prices with the new C4 on the shelves. I bought one and am more than happy. As a flip front, quietest helmet I have ever had. My experience is that if you buy, measure your head and go a size up. 

• Like 1

Bart Stilgo

I have a Evoline 3

Firstly some stats so you can make sense of things

I'm 5ft 4

On a DCT X

With a Puig touring screen

My eyeline is just about 1" above the top of the screen

With these conditions in mind

The Evoline 3 is useless as a full face helmet as the noise is bl**dy awful.  Hence the reason I got a separate full face helmet.

Flip the front up and everything quietens down ?  Don't ask I don't understand why this is the case, but the dynamics of the helmet are far better with the flip front up even on the motorway. 

So unless I need the flip front down (Rain) I use it as an open face all the time.

If you wear glasses then the cheek panels are a bit tight and there is no provision for taking a little bit of foam out (Like Nolan do)

Other than that, its ok.

• Like 1

Bart Stilgo

Oh, and the front vent if left open when raining allows water to spray in and then up the inside of the visor.

Cheers

Mr Toad
Posted (edited)

This has come up in another thread yesterday/today.

I have an Evoline 3 and as said in the other thread it's a compromise helmet offering both full face and fully open face, a real boon in the recent weather and round town. 

However, the Evoline 3 and the Evo One are different helmets make sure that you can change from full face to open face and back again on the move with one hand. You can on the Evoline but I'm not sure about the Evo One, I thought you could but this says otherwise.

https://inspire.getgeared.co.uk/shark-evo-one-vs-shark-evoline-3-the-shark-flip-up-helmets-battle-it-out/

Edited by Mr Toad

suffolk58

I use an Evo-One for my cycle marshaling (NEG).

I got it heavily discounted, and many of my fellow NEGer's bought them too.

I seem to be the only one still struggling with it.

It was a brilliant idea (open and full face helmet in one) poorly executed.

Two years on I still struggle to flip it either back or forwards.

(Taking it off in fullface mode is not easy and can hurt your ears.) There have been times when I've enlisted the help of a mate to open it for me.

You are advised to use two hands to prevent putting too much pressure on the pivots and causing damage.

I agree, if you leave the vents open in the wet, rain will find itself onto the inside of the visor.

In really heavy rain it can happen even with the vents closed.

I found flipping the visor caused scratches on my Pinlock insert.

I had no real problems with excess noise but I always used earplugs and find most flipup helmets a bit noisy.

The biggest problem for me, is that I have to fit headphones for radio use. I've tried to position it all sorts of ways, modified the liner and everything "the experts" say I should do, but after an hour or so, I always end up with sore ears.

When I change, I'll use my normal (Caberg or Shoei) helmet to get to the race, and then change to an open face helmet (like the Shoei J Cruise ).

But don't let my experience put you off. :)

baben
Posted (edited)

Martin's experience is almost identical to mine and I agree, the Schuberth is probably the best helmet you can get that flips up but it does not operate as an open face helmet - it is not approved for that! I used to have a Caberg that I liked but the newer ones are not right for my head shape, ditto AGV. You really have to try a few on. I believe LS2 make a good double approved type.https://ls2helmets.com/uk/commuter/valiant

Edited by baben

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)

Hmmmph. It's an issue as where I live is so small I genuinely cannot have more than one helmet, there simply isn't a shred of additional space in the property. Me and my other half can barely fit our every day stuff in and every conceivable space is taken up with storage. While I would like to have something better ventilated for the apparently warmer summers I'm definitely not willing to do so at the expense of rain protection or noise. I find ear plugs extremely uncomfortable and so have never ridden at length with them.

The feedback is deffo helpful in pushing it from "must buy" to "great idea but poorly done".

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1

Trev
4 hours ago, Bart Stilgo said:

The Evoline 3 is useless as a full face helmet as the noise is bl**dy awful.  Hence the reason I got a separate full face helmet.

Flip the front up and everything quietens down ?  Don't ask I don't understand why this is the case, but the dynamics of the helmet are far better with the flip front up even on the motorway. 

So unless I need the flip front down (Rain) I use it as an open face all the time.

If you wear glasses then the cheek panels are a bit tight and there is no provision for taking a little bit of foam out (Like Nolan do)

Other than that, its ok.

Wot Bob says :thumbsup: Flamin weird that it's quieter 'open' but it's the same for mine as well.

I'm only half hour from Southampton (I was actually in town this afternoon) and I have a Medium Evo 3 and my wife a Small so your welcome to give one try sometime.

The Evo one is quite different so I would try to stretch to a 3 or later if possible. I bought my wife's at Infinity in May 2015 for £190 which I didn't think was too bad then went to NEC bike show in November of that year and bought mine (brand new, discontinued colour, gunmetal grey which looks ok) with a Bultaco open face for £150 the pair! There are deffo bargains to be had there if you're in the market already for a helmet, know what you want and aren't too fussy on colours/graphics.

I've had several Shark helmets, a couple of S800's and a Vision R, all have lasted well and I think have been good value for money although struggling now to get a new visor for the Vision R .

Walklikegump
14 hours ago, Trev said:

The Evo one is quite different so I would try to stretch to a 3 or later if possible.

I'm confused.

I bought an Evoline 3 when the Evo One came out.

Are you saying the Evo One has been superceded with an Evo Three?

suffolk58
1 hour ago, Walklikegump said:

I'm confused.

I bought an Evoline 3 when the Evo One came out.

Are you saying the Evo One has been superceded with an Evo Three?

The Evoline and the Evo-One are completely different helmets.

Here is a video to explain: www.youtube.com/watch/?v=wYVcZMogwC4

The Evoline has now got up to Evoline 3.

I have the original Evo-One, but there is now an updated version (Evo-One 2) which may have solved the problems I have. It's around £400 full price.

Ciaran1602

Much appreciated offer Trev.

I've seen Evo-One 2's going for £289 on sportsbikeshop. I believe J&S stock them and the Southampton store is about 5 minutes from my apartment so I might have a wander at the weekend.

Need a new autumn/early winter jacket as well. One too many pies means my old oxford jacket doesn't fit...

• Haha 2

Reckless_Rat

I have been very happy with my Shark Pro Carbon, Evoline Series 3 (XL) helmet.
The various chin bar & visor combinations make it very versatile.

Mine will just fit into the frunk of my NC700S but a member with a NC750XD and a slightly different helmet model has reported otherwise.

Check yourself if you are buying one.

I find it fairly comfortable and the wind noise slightly increased but not too bad (I would tend to wear earplugs on a long trip anyway). I think that some helmet noise is increased if there is a lot of air flow from up under the chin. It is difficult for Flip Front helmets to avoid this gap. On some, you can attach a sort of soft fabric “skirt” under the chin bar which helps the noise a lot – but this would not fit when the Evoline 3 chin bar moves to its rear position.
So as usual it’s a compromise – protection, weight, comfort, versatility, noise, aerodynamics, style, etc...

• Like 1

Mr Toad
20 hours ago, Reckless_Rat said:

I have been very happy with my Shark Pro Carbon, Evoline Series 3 (XL) helmet.
The various chin bar & visor combinations make it very versatile.

Mine will just fit into the frunk of my NC700S but a member with a NC750XD and a slightly different helmet model has reported otherwise.

Check yourself if you are buying one.

I find it fairly comfortable and the wind noise slightly increased but not too bad (I would tend to wear earplugs on a long trip anyway). I think that some helmet noise is increased if there is a lot of air flow from up under the chin. It is difficult for Flip Front helmets to avoid this gap. On some, you can attach a sort of soft fabric “skirt” under the chin bar which helps the noise a lot – but this would not fit when the Evoline 3 chin bar moves to its rear position.
So as usual it’s a compromise – protection, weight, comfort, versatility, noise, aerodynamics, style, etc...

Mine doesn't fit in the frunk but it's not the carbon version and they are usually smaller and closer fitting. I wish I'd had the foresight to but the carbon version but at the time I'd only got the Bonneville and knew nothing of the frunk. When I got the NC it's the only helmet I have that doesn't go in. Both my AGV open face and Shoei flip front both fit with ease. 

• Like 1

Reckless_Rat

Thanks, that would explain the confusion. I haven't had the two helmets side by side to compare.

• Like 1

fat al

i have had my shark evo3 for a while now, prior to buying it i had a caberg duke  flip front helmet and i bought the same size shark helmet.

the helmet was good comfortable fit apart from the are around the cheeks it was too tight, solved by taking a layer of foam out of each side, thinner cheek pads are available from shark, and can't put it on or take it off while wearing glasses, something which you can do with the caberg.

i mostly use it with the chin bar flipped back unless it is raining or very cold and the visor up, i have a puig touring screen,depending on the wind speed and direction i can ride  up to 66-65mph like this, above this the visor rattles/ shakes in the turbulence and affects vision slightly so then i ride with visor down.

rain is a problem , for me anyway, when riding along, if it starts to rain i can  flip the chin bar back down but the visor has to be raised slightly out of the way for it to lock in place i then get rain on inside of visor which wont go away.

al

ScooterCommuter

I was in the same boat thinking I'd been a bit stingy with a cheap helmet (Caberg Duke) so upgraded to a far more expensive and generally very well reviewed Shoei GT Air. Have to say I'm very disappointed with it. The caberg is much quieter, the pinlock works perfectly (Just cannot get the shoei to stop misting up in one section) and isn't noticeably heavier than the shoei. In this case more expensive definitely did not equal better. The Shoei is supposed to be a good helmet too, so I'm not necessarily dissing it, it just seems the Caberg is a lot better than the price led me to believe. It may well be the same for other cheaper vs expensive helmets. The big problem is that you won't really find out how well a new helmet works for you until you've used it and then you can't get your money back.

Ciaran1602

I've decided on balance that for the two weeks a year where it's hot enough to warrant an open face, the cost isn't worth it. My HJC has proven dependable so no reason to change just yet.

Steveb2418
Posted (edited)

I’m very impressed with my Shark SKWAL , it even has led lights !! For the money I’d say it’s the best lid I’ve had .  I was an Arai boy previously but no longer. I’ve been bitten by Shark , which only took a small chunk out of my budget :-) 

Edited by Steveb2418
Spelling correction
  • Like 1