Bart Stilgo

NCX Seat upgrade

Bart Stilgo

Finally got the seat back and the bike is ready for a fairly long trip in two weeks time

I've been out for a few miles to see what the difference is so here we go

The upholsterer removed the original cover and found that the foam was completely water logged.  The cover was in excellent condition so I am not sure where the water came from but the bike does live outside in all weathers.  So after drying the foam an additional layer of foam was added to the top of the original and then sculpted.  there was a choice of three foams, soft meduim and firm all 1" thick.  I tried all three on the bike and have chosen the firm option.  The cover material was a 'four way' stretch material and had to be ordered specially due to the shape of the foam.  The standard two way stretch material would not cover the foam without a crease or some additional stitching. 

Overall there has been some increase in seat height but it has not caused a problem with leg length

Comfort so far is much improved (well it couldn't get any worse).  There is much less feed back from vibrations through the bike which was the most noticeable thing.  And there is much less variation in the padding from the front of the seat upto the passenger seat.  You can move up and down the seat without any changes in comfort.

The lower front has gone too.  So where ever you sit you don't slide down.

It is much firmer but with more support so we will see how we get on with a ride up to Barmouth in a couple of weeks.

Cost?

£80

Work was done by Smiffys.

Seat 3.jpg

Seat 2.jpg

Seat 1.jpg

• Like 9

EastSussexPete

My bottom is jealous. Will be waiting for feed back. Great finish. :D

outrunner

That seat looks like something I would like on my bike, any contact details of the firm that did it?

Andy.

Dunnster

A bargain at £80 quid :thumbsup:

EastSussexPete

Please Form an orderly queue.

Edited by EastSussexPete
  • Like 1

Bart Stilgo

Work done by

Smiffy's Auto Upholstery Ltd

Just off the A30  (Feniton turning)

Unit C3(B) Westleigh Willows Farm, Feniton, Honiton EX14 3BN

07548 253682

• Thanks 1

Bart Stilgo

Currently in Anglesey with the bike and the seat has been a revelation.

On the trip up the journey was about 5 hours and only in the last hour was there any discomfort.

If any of you are looking for suspension updates then I would advise you sort the seat first as it stops a lot of the issues from the rear shock

The front forks of course are not changed still as rubbish as ever/

• Like 1

Morph

Is there any way changing the seat to something like this can be done, without increasing the height?  It looks like there isn't much to play with on the original thickness... and having got the X to the height that works for my legs, I don't want to reverse that.

embee

Just a tip for anyone having seats modded at all.

Very often folk use "regular" zinc plated staples, which may rust quite soon if exposed to winter weather, salt dust gets everywhere. Go over the staples either with some black enamel (e.g. Humbrol) paint, something which won't upset the vinyl cover. Water based wood varnish works quite effectively I find.

I've modified my own seats and use stainless steel staples, but because these are more expensive and not normally used in upholstery not many modifiers will stock and use them.

• Thanks 5

Leon

Hi Bart,

Im glad I am not the only one who has found the seat less than comfortable, its fine for the sort journeys but frequent standing on the rests required after 40 mins or so. Also I have raised the seat via a useful 'YouTube' video and that has helped especially as I am 6'3.

When you went to Smiffy's did they keep the seat long? 

Leon