Jump to content
AKxx70

NC750X 2016 vs Crossrunner 2018 vs BMW F800GT 2014

Recommended Posts

AKxx70
Posted (edited)

Just sharing my opinion on the two great bikes I tried today.

 

I was thinking of upgrading from my Honda NC750X 2016 to a more powerful bike for a while. Not that I was not happy about it, but just wanted to see if I was missing the so called "fun" when I was riding it. Many people comment that the ride on NC750X is boring and not exciting altogether. So today I went to a nearby bike garage and test drove a VFR800X Crossrunner 2018 and BMW F800GT 2014 reg.

 

First the specs. On paper the Crossrunner has about 100 bhp @10000 RPM and 72.8 NM torque @9500 RPM. The BMW has about 90 bhp (@8000 RPM) and a torque of 86 NM (@5800 RPM).

So I expected a substantial increase of performance for either of the two compared to my NC750X which has just 54 bhp @6000 RPM and 68 NM torque.

 

Having driven both today I can say that the difference in acceleration was not as massive as I expected after comparing the specs. In fact, the difference was noticeable but not huge.

In town and on country lanes the Crossrunner while being slighly roomier and more comfortable performed and felt exactly the same as my NC. I have never felt the need to push the engine past 6500 RPM and the "DOHC boost" has never kicked in. On motorways the DOHC never kicked in on the 6th gear, so no change here too. The area I felt the Crossrunner performing very well was a high speed overtaking when you drop down to the 5th gear and accelerate from 70 to 90 in a matter of seconds. Yet the RPM counter has never went past 8000.

 

The BMW has performed similarly to the Crossrunner. The BMW was definitely a more fun bike to ride due to its sporty fairings and sitting position. I found the BMW suitable for both upright and leaning forward positions. There was absolutely no pressure on the wrists and forearms unlike on some sports bikes, yet when I wanted to go fast I could just lean forward and hide behind the windscreen. I felt the BMW was also more enjoyable and flickable on twisties and on roundabouts than either the NC or the Crossrunner. And it looked much sexier than both Hondas :). The only downside was that being 6.1 ft tall I could not have gripped the bike by my hips fully - my knees were sticking forward and pushing against the curved fairing.

 

For wind protection at high speeds the Crossrunner was unbeatable. My NC with its tall aftermarket Puig screen was the second and the BMW was the third. Having said that the air pressure on the BMW felt very steady and consistent at all speeds with almost no jerky buffeting, so I could lean a bit forward and have my torso supported by the oncoming airflow.

 

Cutting the long story short, I am now postponing my plan to upgrade as I do not feel that my daily commuting in town will be improved by changing the NC to any of the two. Yes, I feel that both BMW and the Crossrunner are better suited for long trips at motorway speeds, especially the Crossrunner, but I do not do them.

 

I guess my next step would be to go and explore the Litre+ category. Even though I feel that the NC750X would be very hard to beat for town commuting and my riding style.

Also will be trying Triumph Tiger 800 and Yamaha 900 Tracer.

 

Thanks for reading :)

 

 

Edited by AKxx70
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
EastSussexPete
22 minutes ago, AKxx70 said:

Just sharing my opinion on the two great bikes I tried today.

 

I was thinking of upgrading from my Honda NC750X 2016 to a more powerful bike for a while. Not that I was not happy about it, but just wanted to see if I was missing the so called "fun" when I was riding it. Many people comment that the ride on NC750X is boring and not exciting altogether. So today I went to a nearby bike garage and test drove a VFR800X Crossrunner 2018 and BMW F800GT 2014 reg.

 

First the specs. On paper the Crossrunner has about 100 bhp @10000 RPM and 72.8 NM torque @9500 RPM. The BMW has about 90 bhp (@8000 RPM) and a torque of 86 NM (@5800 RPM).

So I expected a substantial increase of performance for either of the two compared to my NC750X which has just 54 bhp @6000 RPM and 68 NM torque.

 

Having driven both today I can say that the difference in acceleration was not as massive as I expected after comparing the specs. In fact, the difference was noticeable but not huge.

In town and on country lanes the Crossrunner while being slighly roomier and more comfortable performed and felt exactly the same as my NC. I have never felt the need to push the engine past 6500 RPM and the "DOHC boost" has never kicked in. On motorways the DOHC never kicked in on the 6th gear, so no change here too. The area I felt the Crossrunner performing very well was a high speed overtaking when you drop down to the 5th gear and accelerate from 70 to 90 in a matter of seconds. Yet the RPM counter has never went past 8000.

 

The BMW has performed similarly to the Crossrunner. The BMW was definitely a more fun bike to ride due to its sporty fairings and sitting position. I found the BMW suitable for both upright and leaning forward positions. There was absolutely no pressure on the wrists and forearms unlike on some sports bikes, yet when I wanted to go fast I could just lean forward and hide behind the windscreen. I felt the BMW was also more enjoyable and flickable on twisties and on roundabouts than either the NC or the Crossrunner. And it looked much sexier than both Hondas :). The only downside was that being 6.1 ft tall I could not have gripped the bike by my hips fully - my knees were sticking forward and pushing against the curved fairing.

 

For wind protection at high speeds the Crossrunner was unbeatable. My NC with its tall aftermarket Puig screen was the second and the BMW was the third. Having said that the air pressure on the BMW felt very steady and consistent at all speeds with almost no jerky buffeting, so I could lean a bit forward and have my torso supported by the oncoming airflow.

 

Cutting the long story short, I am now postponing my plan to upgrade as I do not feel that my daily commuting in town will be improved by changing the NC to any of the two. Yes, I feel that both BMW and the Crossrunner are better suited for long trips at motorway speeds, especially the Crossrunner, but I do not do them.

 

I guess my next step would be to go and explore the Litre+ category. Even though I feel that the NC750X would be very hard to beat for town commuting and my riding style.

Also will be trying Triumph Tiger 800 and Yamaha 900 Tracer.

 

Thanks for reading :)

 

 

I could not agree more. Thank for a great review. 

Share this post


Link to post
baben
Posted (edited)

Interesting reviews, I think you are spot on about town use. I used to have the BMW and it was great for touring too. I think maybe you were not using the motor on the Crossrunner to its best advantage. Believe me, if you rev that beastie you will whoop in your helmet. I think Rocker will back me up on this.  Be interested to hear your views on the Tiger and the Tracer too.

Edited by baben
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66

If your using the bike for commuting I agree that the NC is the better bike. Having said that I’m really surprised that you you didn’t notice much of a difference in acceleration. I would certainly make overtakes on the Crossrunner that I wouldn’t even contemplate on the NC..In my opinion if your not using the Crossrunner in such a way that the V-Tec cuts in then your missing the point of the bike as the engine is what the bike is about.. I would certainly never call the NC boring but for me it doesn’t rate high enough on the fun scale. As I have said several times horses for courses.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Go and try the Crossrunner again, get it pointed in a straight line, take it up to 8,000 rpm and then - apply full throttle. I think you will then experience a remarkable difference in acceleration.. :D 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames

Streethawk had nothing on the Honda VTEC woosh

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
suffolk58

I tried a Cross Runner last weekend (there's a photo on here somewhere) and I agree almost 100% with your findings.

The only thing I disagree with, is the screen. For me (at a shade under 6ft), at 70 MPH my head was bouncing around like a cork in a choppy sea. The NC was the same for me with the original screen.

Like you I also didn't really use all the performance. Probably as a result of signing an insurance form with a £1500 excess!

Did you notice it has got exactly the same mirrors as the NCX?

It failed my parking test...turning the bike around 180 degrees by arm power only.

I've not ridden the BMW F800GT but rode the earlier F800ST, which I enjoyed, but felt a bit cramped and lots of heat came up from the engine.

Next on my bikes to try is the KTM Duke 790 (the new twin cylinder bike). Rumour has it they are working on an adventure styled version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
AKxx70
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

If your using the bike for commuting I agree that the NC is the better bike. Having said that I’m really surprised that you you didn’t notice much of a difference in acceleration. I would certainly make overtakes on the Crossrunner that I wouldn’t even contemplate on the NC..In my opinion if your not using the Crossrunner in such a way that the V-Tec cuts in then your missing the point of the bike as the engine is what the bike is about.. I would certainly never call the NC boring but for me it doesn’t rate high enough on the fun scale. As I have said several times horses for courses.

 

I just did not feel the need to rev it past 6000 in town or on narrow country lanes where I would not go past 40-50 mph.. Indeed, the power boost was very noticeable at 7000 RPM on motorways, I agree.  This is exactly what I felt: "The area I felt the Crossrunner performing very well was a high speed overtaking when you drop down to the 5th gear and accelerate from 70 to 90 in a matter of seconds.". The Crossrunner is a great bike and a better made one too. Shame that the price is prohibitive for me at the moment. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
AKxx70
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Tex said:

Go and try the Crossrunner again, get it pointed in a straight line, take it up to 8,000 rpm and then - apply full throttle. I think you will then experience a remarkable difference in acceleration.. :D 

 

I will probably see it turning into a dot ahead while sliding on my bum :) 

Edited by AKxx70
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
AKxx70
5 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

I tried a Cross Runner last weekend (there's a photo on here somewhere) and I agree almost 100% with your findings.

The only thing I disagree with, is the screen. For me (at a shade under 6ft), at 70 MPH my head was bouncing around like a cork in a choppy sea. The NC was the same for me with the original screen.

Like you I also didn't really use all the performance. Probably as a result of signing an insurance form with a £1500 excess!

Did you notice it has got exactly the same mirrors as the NCX?

It failed my parking test...turning the bike around 180 degrees by arm power only.

I've not ridden the BMW F800GT but rode the earlier F800ST, which I enjoyed, but felt a bit cramped and lots of heat came up from the engine.

Next on my bikes to try is the KTM Duke 790 (the new twin cylinder bike). Rumour has it they are working on an adventure styled version.

 

 

Yes the mirrors were exactly the same, this is the first thing I noticed! Not sure but it looked like the handlebar was the same too.

Share this post


Link to post
AKxx70
9 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

..

I've not ridden the BMW F800GT but rode the earlier F800ST, which I enjoyed, but felt a bit cramped and lots of heat came up from the engine.

..

 

 

I saw a video review on F800GT by a chap from a hotter country - he basically said that if you wear shorts and the outside temperature is 30+ degrees your knees will be roasted by the hot air coming from the vents in the fairings especially at slow speeds when you get stuck in traffic. I felt some of it through my motorcycling jeans with knee pads today.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
16 minutes ago, AKxx70 said:

 

I just did not feel the need to rev it past 6000 in town or on narrow country lanes where I would not go past 40-50 mph.. Indeed, the power boost was very noticeable at 7000 RPM on motorways, I agree.  This is exactly what I felt: "The area I felt the Crossrunner performing very well was a high speed overtaking when you drop down to the 5th gear and accelerate from 70 to 90 in a matter of seconds.". The Crossrunner is a great bike and a better made one too. Shame that the price is prohibitive for me at the moment. 

 

 

 

It is when using smaller roads which have many bends and only very short straights where you can overtake that for me the Crossrunner comes into its own compared with the NC . It can be past the other vehicle and back on your own side of the road much quicker than the NC specially if the V-Tec cuts in.  For me the acceleration of the NC was never enough to give me the sort of buzz that the Crossrunner does. Having said that judging from your post I don’t think the Crossrunner is the bike for you.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
baben
9 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

It is when using smaller roads which have many bends and only very short straights where you can overtake that for me the Crossrunner comes into its own compared with the NC . It can be past the other vehicle and back on your own side of the road much quicker than the NC specially if the V-Tec cuts in.  For me the acceleration of the NC was never enough to give me the sort of buzz that the Crossrunner does. Having said that judging from your post I don’t think the Crossrunner is the bike for you.

This is one of the reasons I love Tigger. Rarely out of third gear on twisty back roads.😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
AKxx70
1 hour ago, AKxx70 said:

.. "DOHC boost" ..

 

I kept referring to VTEC as DOHC, silly me :) VTEC that is, of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Trev

Interesting review, thanks for posting. I'm not  really one for test riding new bikes but I do like to hear others experiences and opinions of them.

 

I did hire a  2015 BMW F800 in Scotland a few years back, the naked version but it came with the excellent BM expandable 'soft' panniers and tank bag. A bit small for me and the motor was quite buzzy but I put 1500 miles on it in five days and it coped with nadgery little roads and high speed swooping corners equally as well. It din't make me want to rush to the nearest BM dealer but was spot on for the type of riding I did on that trip and I would hire the same again

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

A friend of mine bought a Honda S2000 when they first came out after reading the glowing reviews in the press. After a very short time he was complaining that those journalists must have been driving a different car as his was as boring as hell. 

 

No it wasn't, it was his driving. He was short shifting through the gears, I don't think he ever took it over 4000rpm, and when driven like that it was indeed a staid and boring ride but excellent round town. When I took it out and let the engine rev freely it was a different car, as soon as the VTEC started to work it's magic the car flew.

 

As Rocker say if you don't like using the full rev range especially when the raw power is at the top end then the Crossrunner isn't for you. 

 

When I test rode one I loved it but you have to let the engine work and boy can it work, however, my personal preference these days is something a little less urgent with a bit more low end grunt.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
9 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

A friend of mine bought a Honda S2000 when they first came out after reading the glowing reviews in the press. After a very short time he was complaining that those journalists must have been driving a different car as his was as boring as hell. 

 

No it wasn't, it was his driving. He was short shifting through the gears, I don't think he ever took it over 4000rpm, and when driven like that it was indeed a staid and boring ride but excellent round town. When I took it out and let the engine rev freely it was a different car, as soon as the VTEC started to work it's magic the car flew.

 

As Rocker say if you don't like using the full rev range especially when the raw power is at the top end then the Crossrunner isn't for you. 

 

When I test rode one I loved it but you have to let the engine work and boy can it work, however, my personal preference these days is something a little less urgent with a bit more low end grunt.   

That is exactly what I like about the V-Tec the fact that I can use the bike for gentle rides around A&B roads but still have plenty of power when I need (want) it. It’s also quite tractable around town. The V-Tec now comes in much smoother than it did on my first generation Crossrunner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery

I swapped my NC for an F800GT a few weeks ago, and personally I much prefer the BMW.  The only thing wrong with it is the engine - it sounds horrible.  Goes well enough, though.

Share this post


Link to post
machinman
8 hours ago, AKxx70 said:

 

Yes the mirrors were exactly the same, this is the first thing I noticed! Not sure but it looked like the handlebar was the same too.

Im sure the bars are different on the crossrunner, lower rise and tapered IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery
10 hours ago, AKxx70 said:

 

I saw a video review on F800GT by a chap from a hotter country - he basically said that if you wear shorts and the outside temperature is 30+ degrees your knees will be roasted by the hot air coming from the vents in the fairings especially at slow speeds when you get stuck in traffic. I felt some of it through my motorcycling jeans with knee pads today.

 

Yes, he's right and it's a problem.  However, it isn't just the hot air - the frame spars themselves get bloody hot, too.  I think they've got the airflow round the engine wrong.

 

Tell you what - it does run hot anyway.  The fan on mine kicks in at 106C and cuts out at 95C.  I'm sure it's by design, but do other bikes run as hot as this normally?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

A friend of mine bought a Honda S2000 when they first came out after reading the glowing reviews in the press. After a very short time he was complaining that those journalists must have been driving a different car as his was as boring as hell. 

 

No it wasn't, it was his driving. He was short shifting through the gears, I don't think he ever took it over 4000rpm, and when driven like that it was indeed a staid and boring ride but excellent round town. When I took it out and let the engine rev freely it was a different car, as soon as the VTEC started to work it's magic the car flew.

 

As Rocker say if you don't like using the full rev range especially when the raw power is at the top end then the Crossrunner isn't for you. 

 

When I test rode one I loved it but you have to let the engine work and boy can it work, however, my personal preference these days is something a little less urgent with a bit more low end grunt.   

 

This makes a lot of sense. Part of the reason I love the NC is I’ve always short shifted whether it’s car or bike. In car terms that’s how I was taught to drive and I learned in a diesel so makes sense. Bikes I’ve always had torque biased bikes until I had the FZ6. Great hooning down a slip road but felt a little lazy around town.

 

Informative write up for the Crossrunner and F800 in comparison to the NC; it’s a beautiful machine but that engine character suits a certain type of rider by the seems of it.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
EastSussexPete
Posted (edited)

If the Crossrunner had a DCT I might buy one. I now find it hard thinking of having a bike with out a DCT. I am hooked.  I do prefer a grunter, though.

Edited by EastSussexPete
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
SlasherMCT
8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I swapped my NC for an F800GT a few weeks ago, and personally I much prefer the BMW.  The only thing wrong with it is the engine - it sounds horrible.  Goes well enough, though.

Good bike, but I hope it doesn't corrode as badly as my F800ST did.   I liked the belt drive a lot though.  Don't like the slop of a chain drive when coming off and on the power.

Share this post


Link to post
SlasherMCT

Crossrunner average fuel consumption 52 MPG http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr800x_crossrunner.  It does look like a nice bike though.

My NC average MPG over 2835 miles is 83.8, best 94.1.  Press the change down button a couple of times if in a rush and I don't have trouble overtaking anything.  Mostly I open the throttle wide and wait 1/2 a sec.  Never use Sport mode, waste of time imho.   http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc750x_dct/2017/slashermct/807574

Also DCT is spectacular off the lights. :-)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
klrman
1 hour ago, SlasherMCT said:

Crossrunner average fuel consumption 52 MPG http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr800x_crossrunner.  It does look like a nice bike though.

My NC average MPG over 2835 miles is 83.8, best 94.1.  Press the change down button a couple of times if in a rush and I don't have trouble overtaking anything.  Mostly I open the throttle wide and wait 1/2 a sec.  Never use Sport mode, waste of time imho.   http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc750x_dct/2017/slashermct/807574

Also DCT is spectacular off the lights. :-)

I totally agree with that 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×