Graham NZ

Honda CB1100RS

Graham NZ

While at the Honda dealer I noticed a black model dripping with goodness.  What a lovely bike.  A retro 70s bike in the UJM mould and all yours for NZD 20k.  Has anyone here ridden one?

• Like 2

baben

I am pretty sure at least one member owns one!

• Like 1

Rocker66
26 minutes ago, baben said:

I am pretty sure at least one member owns one!

Larryblag had one but now has a NC750S

• Thanks 1

Tex
Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

While at the Honda dealer I noticed a black model dripping with goodness.  What a lovely bike.  A retro 70s bike in the UJM mould and all yours for NZD 20k.  Has anyone here ridden one?

Yes, I have had the pleasure Graham. I love it. As much as for what it represents as for what it does. It’s the first large air cooled Honda for 20 years and the design team were first sent to the Honda museum at Motegi to ride bikes like the CB400F, CB750 and CB900 before being allowed to start work.

There are two CB1100 models, the EX has 18” spoked alloy wheels, higher bars and lashings of (top quality) chrome. The RS (as you know) comes with cast wheels, uprated suspension, radial brakes and so on. It also has a flatter bar and different seat.

They were so obsessed with getting the details ‘right’ they altered the valve timing between cylinders 1&2 and 3&4, giving it an almost ‘carbs out of balance’ idle! It’s quite heavy and (due to getting an air cooled engine through the Euro 4 emissions testing) not that powerful at 88 hp. Goes well though.. :)

Sadly they left the ‘home market’ speed limiter in place on the export bikes and it runs out room at 180 kph (it does that in fourth, leaving the top two gears as ‘overdrives’).

I am struggling to find a convincing reason to not buy the red one in my dealers! ;) 

Edit: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/honda/honda-cb1100-ex---rs-first-ride-and-review

Edited by Tex
Add link.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tonyj
Posted (edited)

Same for me tex , I walk past the blade to run my hands over these in Kent mc’s , Hadrian knows he’s gonna get me one of these days.

Edited by Tonyj
  • Haha 6

Tex
8 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Same for me tex , I walk past the blade to run my hands over these in Kent mc’s , Hadrian knows he’s gonna get me one of these days.

Tone, it’s not so much ‘if’ as ‘when’. I don’t know why we don’t just get on with it! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)

I'm a bad man😁

Mmmmm shiney thing, lovely.

IMG_0858.jpg

You know you want one.............................😉

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tex

You are a (very) bad man, Bri. :D You see, for me at least, a motorcycle has to be beautiful. If it doesn’t make your heart skip when you open the garage door, what’s the point? Only twice have I bought bikes that I was able to ignore the looks and prioritise the ‘function’ and I never gelled with either - although both were superb at their chosen task.

I would rather have a beautiful motorcycle that has some minor flaws than one that functions perfectly that I can’t bear to look at. Shallow? Possibly. But (this) man’s relationship with his two wheels is complex... :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)

I agee, although currently I don't own a bike anyone would call beautiful. Of the ones I've owned, I'd say for looks the top three were;

1.Ducati 998s

2.Norton Dominator 99

3=Triumph Boneville Thruxton

3= Ducati GT1000

In reality I couldn't  ride the 998 anymore, the Norton was ace but always needed fettling, I'd only have the Thruxton back so I could set fire to it to save anyone else the bother 😉 And I'd have the GT back in a heartbeat.

Funny how things turn out with hindsight.

Now go and buy the CB1100 RS:poke:

Edited by slowboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

macamx
7 minutes ago, Tex said:

You are a (very) bad man, Bri. :D You see, for me at least, a motorcycle has to be beautiful. If it doesn’t make your heart skip when you open the garage door, what’s the point? Only twice have I bought bikes that I was able to ignore the looks and prioritise the ‘function’ and I never gelled with either - although both were superb at their chosen task.

I would rather have a beautiful motorcycle that has some minor flaws than one that functions perfectly that I can’t bear to look at. Shallow? Possibly. But (this) man’s relationship with his two wheels is complex... :) 

Goodness I can really go along with those sentiments. I have become so sad now that I look for excuses to go outside and have a look at my T100, pathetic. Let me try and put it this way , if given the choice of a valuable artwork or a 916 on my living room wall, no contest, Ducati every time as to me it is pure visual joy whereas I truly do not see the point or understand art indeed I think a lot of it is people trying to signal to others just how sophisticated they are. (rant over).

• Like 2

Mr Toad

I loved my Ducati 748SPS but only kept it 11 months. Just looking at it was enough to give you a hard-on but it was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden which is no good at all when it's your daily drive and you're doing a lot of miles.

It's the sort of bike that should only come out on Sundays for a couple of hours or for track days where you ride it on the edge for a few hours then put it back in the garage while you iron the kinks out of your badly abused body.

The rest of the time it just sits there looking gorgeous.  

• Like 3

pjm

I am still tempted by the BMW HP2. Trouble is I could probably only ride it for ten minutes and their values are going through the roof. In the motorsport red white and blue they are a true work of art. I suppose a sofa could go and mount it on a display platform indoors 🏍😃😃

• Like 2

larryblag
4 hours ago, macamx said:

Goodness I can really go along with those sentiments. I have become so sad now that I look for excuses to go outside and have a look at my T100, pathetic. Let me try and put it this way , if given the choice of a valuable artwork or a 916 on my living room wall, no contest, Ducati every time as to me it is pure visual joy whereas I truly do not see the point or understand art indeed I think a lot of it is people trying to signal to others just how sophisticated they are. (rant over).

It's not sad.  It's exactly what I did between March and July this year.

Sadly - as I work FOR the railway but don't actually own it and that gorgeous CB1100EX was costing over two hundred quid a month is wasn't sustainable as a static exhibit :ermm:

• Sad 1

larryblag

:cry:

Tex
11 minutes ago, larryblag said:

It's not sad.  It's exactly what I did between March and July this year.

Sadly - as I work FOR the railway but don't actually own it and that gorgeous CB1100EX was costing over two hundred quid a month is wasn't sustainable as a static exhibit :ermm:

Yeah, that’s the kind of money Mrs T spends on her Toyota, but she drives it every single day. I fully sympathise. 

• Thanks 1

larryblag

If I do win the lottery however - I'm buying it straight back.

It's still showing untaxed on the gov website so it's in stock - somewhere.

"Oh CeeBee - where art thou?"

• Like 1

Tex

And if I win the lottery I will buy it for you, promise. ;) 

• Thanks 1

larryblag
10 minutes ago, Tex said:

:cheers:

You won't read that on any other forum. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Rocker66
52 minutes ago, Tex said:

I think you you admend that statement to read something like “if I win an amount exceeding £1 million I will buy it for you” as you don’t want Larryblag reminding you of your promise having found out that you have won £20😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

macamx
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I think you probably would.

Geoff.:)

• Like 1

Woody 99

With all this swooning over the CB 1100 I’d be curious to know if the board approves of the “Neo Sports Café”, or whatever it’s called. 

• Like 1

Rocker66
10 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

With all this swooning over the CB 1100 I’d be curious to know if the board approves of the “Neo Sports Café”, or whatever it’s called. 

Not ridden but those that have seem to be impressed by its performance. Sue loves it looks and was seriously considering getting one until she found that when sitting on it she couldn’t get either foot on the floor. Personally I’m not not so sure but it’s looks.

• Like 1

Tex
13 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

I do! Not sure about the others but I think it’s brilliant. I think it’s Honda at it’s best, amazing build quality and usable (huge) power. :) 

I could see me owning one. And I could see myself being banged up for doing some outrageous speed or other (sigh).

• Like 2

slowboy
5 hours ago, Woody 99 said:

Certainly do😇

5 hours ago, Tex said:

I do! Not sure about the others but I think it’s brilliant. I think it’s Honda at it’s best, amazing build quality and usable (huge) power. :) 

Totally agree😎

5 hours ago, Tex said:

I could see me owning one. And I could see myself being banged up for doing some outrageous speed or other (sigh).

Totally agree😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trev
On 8/10/2018 at 08:16, slowboy said:

I'm a bad man😁

Mmmmm shiney thing, lovely.

IMG_0858.jpg

You know you want one.............................😉

Pretttttyyyyyyyyy :w00t:

I actully really like that and I can't say that about many new bikes for sales these days. May even tempt me to a dealer for test ride.

• Like 1