pjm

Peugeot PHEV Tilting scooter

pjm

https://newatlas.com/peugeot-tilting-phev-scooter/52516/#gallery

Is this the future for the ageing motorcyclist? 186 mile range and a heated cabin. Same width as an MP3 so qualifies as a trike and should be able to filter ish.

Would love to have a go.

• Like 3

Rev Ken

Remember the BMW 'covered' scooter? (C something?) A bit of a handful in cross winds, but apparently good fun for its novelty value. I suppose this version is something of a cross between Sinclair's three wheeler powered by a washing machine motor, the current tilting bikes and the BMW covered scooter. If it was a hybrid I guess I could be interested when I need a Zimmer frame to get around....:oldfart:

• Like 1

Tex

I like it! And would love to see/try one. 

• Like 2

pjm

It is a hybrid with a gas engine taking over and up to 80mph. I would give it serious consideration. I think it stands a chance of going in to production. I wonder if the BMW was grossly underpowered and too top heavy. This looks quite a sleek design.

• Like 1

Trev
2 hours ago, pjm said:

Is this the future for the ageing motorcyclist? 186 mile range and a heated cabin. Same width as an MP3 so qualifies as a trike and should be able to filter ish.

Would love to have a go.

Absolutely not for me, it's about as far from a bike as you can go without it being a car and I've already got one of these which doesn't look much different, even the tyres are tall and skinny: :D

i3.jpeg

• Like 1

Woody 99

It’s a bit like a Renault Twizy. SWMBO was all in favour of me getting a Twizy for the school run with my 8 year old daughter until she realised the Twizy only seats 2, i.e. no room for mummy. I bought an Audi S3 instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

larryblag

See those doors, see how they open?

At last they've found an upcycling use for the TL1000 rotary damper :whistle:

Andy m

Someone in styling likes Bladerunner I think.

I would want to try one. Could be as invisible as a bike and command as much respect from other road users as a filtering Reliant Robin. 

Andy

• Haha 4

lazlo woodbine

I like it and would love a spin on one. A great alternative to getting wet on the way to work in the winter. 

• Like 2

CFB

It's got 4 wheels!

It's a car not a scooter, even if it tilts like a bike.

Not for me, sorry.

• Thanks 1

Bart Stilgo

Reliant in reverse?

Interesting though

Had enough Peugeots in my life.

larryblag

SteveThackery
11 hours ago, pjm said:

Would love to have a go.

Looks great - an excellent addition to the choices we currently have.

58 minutes ago, larryblag said:

I do wish she wouldn't sing with that ridiculous American accent.

• Like 1

SteveThackery
1 hour ago, Bart Stilgo said:

Reliant in reverse?

Reliants were always the wrong way round.  For stability in cornering you need the two wheels at the front.

Rev Ken
15 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Reliants were always the wrong way round.  For stability in cornering you need the two wheels at the front.

Like the BSA three wheeler which with front wheel drive was more stable than Morgans with a rear wheel drive - but not nearly as fast!

• Like 1

CFB

It's got FOUR WHEELS not three.

IMG_1176.JPG.3e779516395261dc1c349ea9f824dccf.JPG

See

Edited by CFB
  • Thanks 2

larryblag

Oh yes!

And the TL1000 rotary damper is now fully compressed :whistle:

SteveThackery
8 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Like the BSA three wheeler which with front wheel drive was more stable than Morgans with a rear wheel drive - but not nearly as fast!

Indeed.  When cornering, the limited traction from a single rear wheel makes unrecoverable oversteer much more likely.  In terms of "tip-over", the centrifugal cornering force (yes, I know the argument about the term "centrifugal"!) acts slightly forward of a radial line through the car's centre of gravity, causing more of the cornering force to be carried by the front wheel(s) than the back, which is why it's better to have the two wheels at the front.

The reason is two-fold: firstly, only the front wheels are steered, so you have an asymmetry between front and back; secondly, the cornering forces produce a vector that acts to decelerate the car, resulting in weight transfer to the front wheel(s).

So ideally a trike will have two wheels at the front, and they will be driven. 

larryblag
55 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Looks great - an excellent addition to the choices we currently have.

I do wish she wouldn't sing with that ridiculous American accent.

Agreed. On both counts :ahappy:

Rev Ken
Just now, SteveThackery said:

Indeed.  When cornering, the limited traction from a single rear wheel makes unrecoverable oversteer much more likely.  In terms of "tip-over", the centrifugal cornering force (yes, I know the argument about the term "centrifugal"!) acts slightly forward of a radial line through the car's centre of gravity, causing more of the cornering force to be carried by the front wheel(s) than the back, which is why it's better to have the two wheels at the front.

The reason is two-fold: firstly, only the front wheels are steered, so you have an asymmetry between front and back; secondly, the cornering forces produce a vector that acts to decelerate the car, resulting in weight transfer to the front wheel(s).

So ideally a trike will have two wheels at the front, and they will be driven. 

But I still managed to get it on two wheels several times, and my mate who bought it off me tipped it so far he had to stop it falling over by putting his arm out - it went back on three wheels, but his arm was sore!

• Haha 1

SteveThackery
1 minute ago, Rev Ken said:

.......he had to stop it falling over by putting his arm out - it went back on three wheels, but his arm was sore!

This must count as the understatement of the century.  :lol:

slowboy

At the risk of repeating Clive's point, it's a four (4) wheeler that tilts, a bit like a 2CV, except it tilts the other way.

It's a car, a tilting car, and a Peugeot, what could possibly go wrong..........😉😂😎

A sort of stylish tilting coffin for one. Room for Billy but not for his mates.

Not for me, but you probably guessed that already 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

pjm

Actually it is a two seater. Technically it fits the legislation as being a trike, despite the four wheels. So you will be able to ride/drive it on a motorcycle licence. This might be really valuable for someone with an injury, age related hip issues or disability that prevents them from riding a conventional motorcycle, yet don’t have a car licence. I am not ‘carist’ and would not play with semantics rather than be grounded. Be open minded. I would love to have a go and won’t knock it until I have tried it. It has the Peugeot badge but would appear to be a collaborative PSA European project. The projected performance statistics certainly look impressive and make it a potential real world hybrid with a decent range.

• Like 3

Tex
3 hours ago, pjm said:

Actually it is a two seater. Technically it fits the legislation as being a trike, despite the four wheels. So you will be able to ride/drive it on a motorcycle licence. This might be really valuable for someone with an injury, age related hip issues or disability that prevents them from riding a conventional motorcycle, yet don’t have a car licence. I am not ‘carist’ and would not play with semantics rather than be grounded. Be open minded. I would love to have a go and won’t knock it until I have tried it. It has the Peugeot badge but would appear to be a collaborative PSA European project. The projected performance statistics certainly look impressive and make it a potential real world hybrid with a decent range.

Agree with all of that. I’m ready to swop my Fiat for one now - but will need to be a bit older/more infirm before I swop my bike. :) 

There’s a Swiss tilting scooter available with single or double rear wheels (I’ll post a video link in a minute) that does the same thing but without the weather protection. On balance, I’d rather be dry.. :D 

Edit: Here’s the video. I find this stuff very appealing. Watch the way the tester slaloms over wet tram lines and tell me you can do the same.. ;) 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 4

Rocker66

I would classify it more of an enclosed trike or even a quadracycle rather than a scooter.