Radarman

Rukka logos - fault

Radarman
Posted (edited)

I have been using my Rukka Cosmic jacket and trousers for nearly 3 years and I have been very happy with them.

However before our Romanian trip I washed the jacket and trousers using Nikwax Tech Wash (40 deg low spin
wash cycle ) followed by Nikwax TX.Direct (30 deg low spin wash cycle).
How disappointed I was to discover that after washing all reflective Rukka arm stripes and back logo have dots missing or surface peeling
off (see below).

2qnuzxv.jpg

rh3edy.jpg

1zq4th1.jpg

Interestingly Cosmic trousers that were washed in the same washing cycle together with the jacket have reflective stripes intact. I have washed the jacket and trousers several times over the past years using the same Nikwax products making sure washing machine was cleaned from detergents or softeners but never had such issue before.

I have contacted the shop I bought the jacket from and they replied that they contacted Rukka (I presume UK distributor) and for a jacket of this age, purchased in 2015, a level of wear and tear in these transfers is - for them - normal and that Rukka guarantee only covers them for two years (despite me having 6-year warranty certificate without any exclusions). They say these are largely a cosmetic feature and the wear does not impact on the structural safety of the jacket.

My opinion is - although jacket still does its job - unfortunately cannot agree that the wear level if it is normal. Apart from this fault jacket looks almost like new (I try to take good care of things in general) and reflective transfers were fully intact until last washing so it was not gradual deterioration due to wear and tear. Unfortunately shop upholds their decision and only offered chargeable repair. All reflective transfers are still peeling off so soon it would not be almost anything on the jacket.

What do you think? Have you had / heard of similar problems with Rukka gear? Am I being picky and expecting to much from Rukka (bearing in mind this was jacket with quite high price tag)?

Edited by Radarman

Spindizzy

Just my opinion. The loss of reflective areas is in part a demonstration of the effectiveness of the repellent coating. 

Also for me personally I don't like a jacket that looks shop new, make me feel a bit of a fraud or a sunny Sunday rider only. Needs some stains, old squished flies and a few scrapes. 

If it were me I would ok losing some of that. Provided the physical garment retained its structural integrity and performance I would be ok with it.

But we are all different 

• Thanks 1

Radarman

Apart from that jacket still does the brilliant job. :thumbsup:

I was rather looking at these logos as additional passive safety feature but as we all know these features are hardly helpful if you end up in a SMIDSY situation :(

But "adventurous" wear and tear does appeal to me as well :lol:...

pjm

I think you may have an argument that the no exclusion guarantee is not being honoured. Might be worth running it passed your local trading standards office. You can’t advertise no exclusions and then dream some up. Particularly, as that is one of their strongest selling points and used to justify their very expensive cost.

• Like 2

Rogue

I also have the same jacket and trousers of a very similar age and can confirm that I also see some loss of reflective spots that make up the logo etc.

I must say that in my personal opinion though this has to be accepted as normal wear and tear and as long as the garment is structurally sound and still waterproof I think it would be unreasonable to expect features such as these reflective "stickers" to still be 100% as new and claimable under warranty.

coopers12345
4 hours ago, Radarman said:

...reflective transfers were fully intact until last washing so it was not gradual deterioration due to wear and tear. Unfortunately shop upholds their decision and only offered chargeable repair. All reflective transfers are still peeling off so soon it would not be almost anything on the jacket.

It would be almost impossible for you to prove that that the transfers were fully intact before the last wash, so anyone inspecting the garment would probably agree that it was more likely to be gradual wear and tear. Transfers and stickers will eventual crack/fade/peel no matter how carefully you look after the clothes. I'd be more tempted to see if it was possible to completely remove them or in the case of the stripes you could cover them up with some reflective bands.

Coval
9 hours ago, Radarman said:

... I washed the jacket and trousers using Nikwax Tech Wash (40 deg low spin
wash cycle ) followed by Nikwax TX.Direct (30 deg low spin wash cycle).

Losing these reflective features is not uncommon, My Armaxion has lost some of it's lustre too, but it's older and as someone else rightly said, it looks "lived in".

In your post you said you washed it twice? first at 40 then 30 deg?

Tech Wash and Waterproofing are part of a single washing action, with wash element in "powder" compartment and w/proof liquid in "fabric conditioner" one as a last rinse.

Also, I always wash mine on Hand wash or Delicate 30 deg cycle as per labels.

Tex

I rather like my gear to have a certain ‘patina’ (which is just as well, because I can’t ever seem to keep it from gaining one ;) ). But if you’re really worried about it, Hubert, I think Peter has a point about the ‘no exclusions’ warranty..

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)

I would be interested to see whether Rukka define ‘no exclusions’ or not. It could be that they don’t exclude mechanical or structural failure of any component where someone might only gover the Zip for 2 years where the rest has 5 years (as the Zip clearly will get abuse), leaving cosmetic wear and tear down to chance.

It’d surprise me greatly if Rukka would offer to repair any defect on any item of clothing, mechanical or cosmetic, for 5 years. Must cost them a fortune.

Though I very much appreciate the safety argument of the reflective strips, they’re neither a regulatory requirement (as far as I am aware anyway!) nor are they vital to the functioning of the jacket.

/two penneth

Edited by Ciaran1602

slowboy

If I paid over £1000 for a riding suit I'd expect a very high level of service, especially if they offer a "no exclusions" warranty.

My RST Pro Paragon gear is still waterproof (Nicwax wash every 6 months) and ok good condition after 5 years, the complete outfit cost me about £300 - £350 from memory (it's still only £360 for the full suit now) and has been excellent. 

I have just replaced it with a Weise mesh suit, which I can make waterproof with an over-layer and windproof with the supplied liners and that cost £230 all in. Again it seems very well made and comes with a two year "no quibble" warranty.

My RST gear has served me well over what must be 30,000 miles in that five years I've owned it.

• Like 1

giley
Posted (edited)

my'n done the same. Motoledgend said yes a warranty issue but I couldn't be bothered to send it to them!

oh and the chap said in response to me saying only cosmetic "no this is safety related" can't find that email now tho:-(

seems like a manufacturing fault to me with the reflective logos..

I think I'll go Klim next!

Edited by giley

giley

found the email.......

"Dear Giles
It is part cosmetic but part reflective safety. You are entitled to its replacement under guarantee and there is still at least three years of the guarantee left. Email again if you change your mind."

• Thanks 1

Radarman
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Coval said:

In your post you said you washed it twice? first at 40 then 30 deg?

Tech Wash and Waterproofing are part of a single washing action, with wash element in "powder" compartment and w/proof liquid in "fabric conditioner" one as a last rinse.

In my case both were liquid as per photo below:

$_35.JPG

According to the Nikwax guidance for washing TechWash should be used first and then garment should be waterproofed using TX Direct:

"For best results remove all non-washable parts and always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.

Remove all detergent build up from the detergent dispenser.

Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.

Use 100ml per garment.

Run 30°C synthetic cycle and slow spin.

To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Do not use detergents."

12 hours ago, slowboy said:

If I paid over £1000 for a riding suit I'd expect a very high level of service, especially if they offer a "no exclusions" warranty

Exactly my standpoint here...

And my extended warranty certificate says:

"Rukka gives a warranty for five years (this can be extended to 6 years when registered) from the date of purchase against
faults in material or workmanship in the motorcycle outfits. In such cases Rukka will either repair the garment or replace it.
The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, misuse or faulty care."

11 hours ago, giley said:

my'n done the same. Motoledgend said yes a warranty issue but I couldn't be bothered to send it to them!

oh and the chap said in response to me saying only cosmetic "no this is safety related" can't find that email now tho:-(

seems like a manufacturing fault to me with the reflective logos..

I think I'll go Klim next!

Thanks for this Giles. As it happens I bought it as well from Motolegends (a bit earlier than you as far as I remember)...

Surprised they seem to have different answers for two of their customers :ermm:

Edited by Radarman

giley

Steve Agyle was the chap dealing with me, it was last October tho! have to say man are in worse shape than yours R nearly gone completely 

Radarman
4 minutes ago, giley said:

Steve Agyle was the chap dealing with me, it was last October tho! have to say man are in worse shape than yours R nearly gone completely 

Didn't want to mention names here but it was as well Steve I got my reply from :shocked:

ScooterCommuter

I had a similar issue with an RST adventure 2 jacket. I washed in in nikwax and a lot of the reflective areas wore away (also the colour from the orange lining seemed to stain the rest of the jacket). It was about a year old. Sportsbikeshop passed it back to RST for testing who very quickly agreed it wasn't up to standard and I got a full refund. 

Rosewellian

How about contacting Ruuka directly explaining how let down you feel and disappointed by the response they gave to your dealer.  I’m sure there must be someone there who can see sense. If not maybe you can warn others through social media. I recently spent £1300 on an armaxis outfit and won’t be too pleased if my safety feature starts to fall off.

Radarman
17 hours ago, Rosewellian said:

How about contacting Ruuka directly explaining how let down you feel and disappointed by the response they gave to your dealer.  I’m sure there must be someone there who can see sense. If not maybe you can warn others through social media. I recently spent £1300 on an armaxis outfit and won’t be too pleased if my safety feature starts to fall off.

I assume Motolegends got their response from TranAm who are UK Rukka reps. I doubt they contacted Rukka HQ in Finland.

I may contact TranAm (or Rukka HQ) directly especially knowing that Giles got completely different answer to the same problem.