larryblag

Versys X 300

machinman

I park next to one at work, seems like a nice bit of kit.

The owners really happy with it.

• Like 1

Tex

Inner tubes and no centre stand - always a winning combination.. :D 

Looks nice though. But I would want to find the extra few quid for a CB500X. 

• Like 2

slowboy

Tried one before I bought the CRF 250. Good bike, quite a bit more road performance than the CRF, but needs to be revved to get it to go, limited off road capabilities. Good light tourer though.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 4

baben

I have that on my shortlist as a second bike but inner tubes? Really?

• Like 2

slowboy

What is it with inner tubes, I've done 9000 miles on my CRF on and off road with no problems. I've probably done over 200,000 miles on bikes with tubes and only had one puncture, and that was on a Yamaha Townmate from a badly fitted spoke. 

I've only had a couple of punctures on other bikes that didn't have tubes over probably another 150,000 miles.

I wouldn't let spoked wheels and tubes stop me buying a bike, in fact it would not influence the decision for me at all. 

and I can fit a new tube comfortably in an hour At the roadside. Not as quick as a plug I grant you, but pretty straightforward.

And I change and balance my own tyres, very rewarding.

Fear makes the wolf look bigger.........😉

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 6
  • Sigh 1

Tex

Yes, and I’ve said before, once the wolf has sunk his stinking fangs into your soft flesh you become remarkably reluctant to allow him a second bite. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

larryblag
7 hours ago, Tex said:

Inner tubes and no centre stand - always a winning combination.. :D 

3 hours ago, baben said:

I have that on my shortlist as a second bike but inner tubes? Really?

3 hours ago, slowboy said:

What is it with inner tubes, I've done 9000 miles on my CRF on and off road with no problems. I've probably done over 200,000 miles on bikes with tubes

There is a cure - apparently. It's called Ourex, Otex, or something :D :D

Outex

slowboy
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Yes, and I’ve said before, once the wolf has sunk his stinking fangs into your soft flesh you become remarkably reluctant to allow him a second bite. ;) 

Or you learn to run with the wolf and revel in its simplicity of purpose and majesty🐺

Brian or "Dances with wolves"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Tex
19 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Or you learn to run with the wolf and revel in its simplicity of purpose and majesty🐺

Brian or "Dances with wolves"

Simplicity of purpose and majesty? :D 

Jesus! What did you drink with your lunch?! :D 

• Like 2

larryblag

Sometimes there isn't an emoticon that quite fits the bill :D

Edited by larryblag
Emoticon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

klrman

Nice to see so many of you have spoken up for spokes, bespoke or standard. But as a spokesman for mag wheels, I have to say that you can keep your spokes. Cleaning, punctures, cost, general maintenance and I don't know what else. Yep, on balance, it's mag everytime

• Like 2

slowboy
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Simplicity of purpose and majesty? :D 

Jesus! What did you drink with your lunch?! :D 

Nice cup of tea. Don't need anything else to get me through the day😇😁

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

slowboy
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Sometimes there isn't an emoticon that quite fits the bill :D

Thats true, I really struggled with that one😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😈

Thats enough emoting now😂

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1

Trev
2 hours ago, klrman said:

Nice to see so many of you have spoken up for spokes, bespoke or standard. But as a spokesman for mag wheels, I have to say that you can keep your spokes. Cleaning, punctures, cost, general maintenance and I don't know what else. Yep, on balance, it's mag everytime

:D:D like it

Have to say though I'm with Brian on this, if I wanted a certain bike then wouldn't give a thought to whether it had spoke wheels or not and don't give a thought to hopping on a spoked wheeled jalopy and covering thousands of miles.

.... and what is this cleaning, cost and maintenance of which you spoke, sorry speak?:ermm:

• Like 3

klrman
2 minutes ago, Trev said:

:D:D like it

Have to say though I'm with Brian on this, if I wanted a certain bike then wouldn't give a thought to whether it had spoke wheels or not and don't give a thought to hopping on a spoked wheeled jalopy and covering thousands of miles.

.... and what is this cleaning, cost and maintenance of which you spoke, sorry speak?:ermm:

I love spokes aesthetically. Old bikes would look awful with mags as would trailies,  trialies and crossers. But, for all practical purposes and on newish road bikes mags are the order of the day. My Enfield had them, complete with oval hubs, and my Yammie TT still has them, but they're a pain in the arse. At least they're round now. They were anything but when they came nice and shiny out of Italy. Yes Italy. If I'd known that before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

larryblag

Spokes, gorgeous lovely spokes. 

Just look at those lovely spokes. :yes:

Like a gorgeous aluminium Diablo

• Like 2

klrman
2 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Spokes, gorgeous lovely spokes. 

Just look at those lovely spokes. :yes:

Like a gorgeous aluminium Diablo

Gorgeous. I wouldn't dare take them out of the garage, never mind ride 'em.

Tex

Very nice, Larry, nothing wrong with those spokes. And an hour spent with some 3M tape would mean you could throw the tubes in the bin where they belong. What’s so difficult about that? :) 

4 minutes ago, klrman said:

Gorgeous. I wouldn't dare take them out of the garage, never mind ride 'em.

Alas, Larry decided he felt the same and sold the spokes on to a new home. :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

larryblag

This is true. I couldn't bear the responsibility. So she's gone to a new home now :console:

Someone else will be the "custodian of the spokes" 

Edited by larryblag

larryblag

Same problem here

Air cooling - it's the future

Custodian of the fins

• Like 1

alhendo1
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Same problem here

Air cooling - it's the future

Custodian of the fins

Outstanding!!👍

Spindizzy

Spokes took Ed March and his c90 round the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tex
7 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

Spokes took Ed March and his c90 round the world. 

Yes, oddly enough I wouldn’t worry about punctures if I was riding an old nail at slow speed in the way that Ed did. They would just add to the adventure. Chuck it on it’s side and put a new clutch in while you’re at it. Pitch your tent alongside the trail and worry about it in the morning. Different thing entirely. Sorry, but it is.

You boys who like your inner tubes (and, let’s be quite clear, it’s those I object to not spokes as such) feel free. And, because I actually like you (and wish you well) I genuinely hope you never find out for yourselves (the hard way) how treacherous (not to mention dangerous) they can be.

I’ve had a blow out at dual carriageway speeds. Don’t want another, thanks. I have been left stranded, had to walk miles in the dark to get to a phone (Johnson’s Café near Brands Hatch as it happens) and waited for a mate to come and pick me up following a rear wheel puncture that I failed to repair. 

I’m only passing on advice. Take it if you wish. But don’t tell me I’m wrong or call me frightened of wolves. Of course I’m frightened of wolves. You would be too if you had the experiences I (and plenty of others) have had. 

”Good advice is almost certain to be ignored - but that’s no reason not to give it” (Agatha Christie).

• Like 2

slowboy

This this is getting very silly now, and I'm sorry you are taking this so personally, the wolves comment was meant to be taken lightheartedly. We used to use that phrase in a previous line of work. I won't mention it again. 🙁

You're a good man Simon, I respect your strongly held view. We differ on this and we always will, thats fine.

My "advice" would also differ, I hope that's fine too.🙂

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 4