2012 Integra 8000 mile service

Nic756

Hi, hoping for a bit of advice...

I’ve got a 2012 nc700d- Integra that I bought about 6 months ago. Coming up to it’s 8000 mile service and wondering about service info and costs. Have tried with a couple of local places and neither really inspire me with much confidence!

The one I just spoke to said about £145 for the standard service then hesitated a bit when I asked about the valve checks as listed in the manual. Admitted he’s not sold any Integras, has had a couple in for servicing but not for 8000 so isn’t sure about needing to do the valves at this point (then said might end up around the £400 mark!)

The other one is the dealer I bought it from. I was promised a call back once he'd spoken to service guys - true to form he’s not called me - 2 days later! I don’t want to bother chasing him up as it was a pain to get hold of him last time I had stuff done (ordered and fitted pannier racks) so would be quite happy to have him ignore me!

I won’t be doing it myself either! (Lack of time, space, skills, fully working body!)

Guess the question I’m asking is - is it neccessary to have the valve checks done now? Although it’s in the service book I know that was changed for later models. It’s also a 6 year old bike, with no warranty on it. Also, do the prices seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance :-)

It might well be worth having them checked at 8k. As you say, that's the service interval quoted for the 700 although the 750 increased it to 16k mls, which is much more sensible. Quite a few folk have found them a bit out of spec at around 8k, but once set they probably don't need to be looked at again for another 16k typically. Bear in mind that the normal service at 8k calls for the DCT filter to be changed as well as the main engine oil+filter. On an Integra it means taking a bit of bodywork off, not a big deal but some mechanics might make it sound much more of a job than it really is. Spark plugs don't need changing at that mileage either.

Valve clearances check/set really isn't such a big deal to do, yes there's the front panel to take out and the rad needs to come out which means the right side fairing panel off to get to the clips, but it  isn't a major undertaking and definitely doesn't warrant an extra £250 on top of the normal service. A couple of hours would see it done in my experience.

The tricky bit is making sure it has actually been done, some more unscrupulous places might not actually bother to go in there and just say everything was OK (sorry, cynical I know).

Just a thought, and apologies if it's out of order, but is this something that Lyn (kayz1) would be interested in helping you out with, he's not far away from you? As you say, at the age there isn't any warranty to consider so it's really a case of getting a good job done.

One other thing to just keep in mind. Your 2012 Integra is in a time slot where quite a few had a pin break in the gear selector. This seemed to be a pretty isolated batch issue. Again Lyn has done one bike for a forum member (even though it turned out not to be the problem), so if you get this issue bear that in mind too. Hopefully it won't happen, but something to be aware of.

Thanks Murray, that’s really helpful stuff. Think I can trust either of the garages to do the work to spec, just the extra cost from the first took me by surprise! Will maybe call in and see if he can do a proper quote...

Reading through various posts over the last few months (and on maxi-muppets!) I can see that Lyn seems to be a very helpful type :-) Don’t think it’s entirely fair to suddenly descend on him with a bike in need of a service though! You’ve reminded me - keep meaning to try and meet up with other nc riders in the area when I get some spare time...

Hi all, just bought a 2012 integra. Service book show a service at 7500 its now near 12k was wondering about a service and costs. Nothing in book about having had valves checked.

Any advice as to what I should ask for at service??

Hi Andyy, call Woolbridge Motorcycles in Wareham. They are independent and good people who won't rip you off. Say Howard recommended them. They do ALL the work on my bikes which I can't do myself (which is most of it).

Graham NZ

From what I've experienced and read about on this forum I would have the valve clearances checked.  If a newly acquired bike is three years old I would have the coolant and brake fluids changed too.

• Like 1