It won't start

Dodogree

Just to show the characteristics of typical alternators vs rpm, this helps to understand why a lot of idling in traffic can cause battery charge state issues.

Characteristic-curve-of-the-alternator.png.59752bc39ae21d76cb6d271b5f538daf.png

As noted by Stelios, the NC battery is in a pretty warm environment which won't help the life at all. I fitted a LiFePO battery a while ago to my Integra, so far it has performed perfectly but there are considerations which Stelios has described before when deciding to use one. They are plug&play these days, all charging issues are dealt with, but they are relatively expensive.

Off centre of the OP's Q.....But!

***They are plug&play these days, all charging issues are dealt with***

Any idea how this has been taken care of Murry, only ask because of the relatively crude 

charging system bike tend to have and the more precise charge needed by said batteries.

Is it some thing in the battery case..diode block or some such?

Lyn.

No. The cells will stop to accept charging if they’re not pushed hard (voltage). 

Of course the best is to control the charging (normal charge rate) precisely but that requires circuits that don’t exist on any automotive application. 

Normal charge rate rate (0.1C for lead acid) is also the best to avoid torturing but it needs a lot of time so it’s not realistically applicable...

Some LFPs may have a kind of BMS to balance the cells and protect them from overdischarging.

SteveThackery
7 hours ago, kayz1 said:

....only ask because of the relatively crude 

charging system bike tend to have and the more precise charge needed by said batteries.

Is it some thing in the battery case..diode block or some such?

My LiFePO battery has some internal electronics to measure the state of the charge and display it on some LEDs when a button is pressed.  But as Stelios says, LiFePO batteries are used for automotive applications specifically because they behave very much like lead acid batteries, especially in terms of their charging requirements and their high discharge current capability.

The only downsides to them are that they tend to have a smaller total capacity (amp-hour rating) and they are much more expensive.

They’re 100% compatible with AGM charging systems and they’ve almost the opposite properties of lead acid.

They don’t like to be fully charged, their performance drops significantly with cold (also a CCA is meaningless for LFP), they’re much more sensitive to under and over voltage, the selection of cells is critical during the assembly (must be able to handle the same amount of charge. As I know only Antigravity does that), the existence of a BMS is additional complexity that may fail...

9 hours ago, kayz1 said:

***They are plug&play these days, all charging issues are dealt with***

Any idea how this has been taken care of Murry, 

Wot they say ^^^

SteveThackery
4 hours ago, ste7ios said:

They’re 100% compatible with AGM charging systems and they’ve almost the opposite properties of lead acid.

They don’t like to be fully charged, their performance drops significantly with cold (also a CCA is meaningless for LFP), they’re much more sensitive to under and over voltage, the selection of cells is critical during the assembly (must be able to handle the same amount of charge. As I know only Antigravity does that), the existence of a BMS is additional complexity that may fail...

The main point being that you can just replace your lead acid battery with a LiFePO and it all continues to work exactly the same.  The bike starts, the battery charges, the electrics all do the same thing.  Personally I'm a big fan.

IMHO, they’re different, not the same. Every chemistry has its cons and pros. We need the details to decide which chemistry suit us better.

The reduction in weight is possibly one of the most remarkable things. When mine arrived in the post I wasn't sure there was actually anything in the box. The std NC Yuasa battery weighs almost exactly 4kg, the LiFePO one to do "effectively" the same job weighs almost exactly 1kg. That's 3kg less the NC is dragging around with it all the time. Most manufacturers would bite their own heads off to save 3kg in one go...……………. but it comes at a price.

Thanks all, all good info to have, if we/i can swap with out having to worry about charge and stuff.

Lyn.

1 hour ago, embee said:

Most manufacturers would bite their own heads off to save 3kg in one go...……………. but it comes at a price.

Think about it... It’s the cheapest way to reduce some weight from a motorcycle.

Graham NZ
3 hours ago, ste7ios said:

Think about it... It’s the cheapest way to reduce some weight from a motorcycle.

Really?  The rider losing weight must be the cheapest way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Getting the rider to have a good cr@p before going for a ride is the cheapest way, but manufacturers rarely have much influence over such things.

• Haha 1
Graham NZ

A spirited ride on a Kawasaki H2 first might do the trick.

• Haha 1
Andy m

You can have some of mine 😁

I always find it comical when the paper journalists get excited that the carbon silencer on the new ZZzzzrrR1199Rrrr is 900 grammes lighter. A butty and mug of tea would pretty much cover that, even after you've removed the change from your pockets to but it.

Andt

• Haha 2
Guest shammy411

Yes I think its the battery, had the same problem this month, just not enough current for the starter motor. Give the battery a good slow charge