Jump to content
Steveb2418

YSS shock fitted today.

Recommended Posts

Steveb2418

Had  YSS rear shock fitted today to my 2014 10'000 mile NcX.   Supplied and fitted by Mr Trisaki the 50 mile ride home brought home just how poor the original is.  Seems I spent my money wisely  :-)   Recommended. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it supplied & fitted and where about did you get it done?

 

Many thanks.

 

 

 

Brigante7.

Share this post


Link to post
Steveb2418

Sure , our very own Mark AKA Trisaki supplied and fitted.  But I see you're in Edinburgh and he's on the Sussex coast  !  The unit was £290 YSS have a website you can use to order . Received wisdom is that if you have a centre stand it's not too difficult if you're handy with the spanners. Otherwise it's an hour or two for labour.    First impressions are very positive !    

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7

Cheers for the reply, lol yeah just a bit far to go.

 

 

 

Brigante7.

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ

And now for the forks!  Go for a cartridge conversion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Steveb2418

Maybe next spring, but thats considerably more expensive isn't it ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7

Wilber shock ordered today, will arrive in 14 days.

 

 

 

Brigante7.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
skorpion
On 21/08/2018 at 17:50, Steveb2418 said:

Had  YSS rear shock fitted today to my 2014 10'000 mile NcX.   Supplied and fitted by Mr Trisaki the 50 mile ride home brought home just how poor the original is.  Seems I spent my money wisely  :-)   Recommended. 

 

Please come back and let us know your opinion on the shock after 1000 miles, I'm interested in one myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ

As with many things in life, the best you can hope for is to get what you pay for.  The problem with the stock shock is that it's a cheap component.  The Nitron R2 now on my bike wasn't cheap but it works extremely well and already I've forgotten the cost.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
embee
2 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

As with many things in life, the best you can hope for is to get what you pay for.  

Yep, that's why my advice is free.

  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ

Yep, but why are there so many complaints about bits on the NC models not being good enough when it's a budget bike?

To recognise that a component is of poor quality is not a complaint just an observation.  It becomes a complaint when it's claimed it should be better.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
DelBoy
On 8/21/2018 at 17:50, Steveb2418 said:

Had  YSS rear shock fitted today to my 2014 10'000 mile NcX.   Supplied and fitted by Mr Trisaki the 50 mile ride home brought home just how poor the original is.  Seems I spent my money wisely  :-)   Recommended. 

Fitted a YSS a while ago. Big improvement, but has now shown up the front so looking at a Hyperpro kit soon as it is not that expensive and quite honestly just putting good quality oil in will help.

Not really interested in fitting a mega expensive cartridge kit etc as I think it will be wasted on the NC, after all it's not a high performance sports bike...!

 

 

On 8/22/2018 at 20:20, Graham NZ said:

As with many things in life, the best you can hope for is to get what you pay for.  The problem with the stock shock is that it's a cheap component.  The Nitron R2 now on my bike wasn't cheap but it works extremely well and already I've forgotten the cost.

Big fan of Nitron, had a couple of units fitted on past bikes. Good kit...

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ
On 8/26/2018 at 09:00, DelBoy said:

Not really interested in fitting a mega expensive cartridge kit etc as I think it will be wasted on the NC, after all it's not a high performance sports bike...!

 

The main purpose of a cartridge conversion is to improve damping for a more compliant ride and that is what really matters on a road bike.  With sports bikes the emphasis is more on road holding and for that a firm ride is inevitable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tel

I had a Hyperpro fork kit [springs and 15w oil] installed onto my NC750X a couple of days ago and although there has been a small improvement I don't think it was as successful as I had hoped. I just wish Honda had added £300 to the cost of a new bike and fitted better quality suspension from new.

I might try a YSS shock because I've had them on other bikes before and liked them but I didn't really intend to spend much on the NC when I got it as I just wanted cheap practical everyday transport.  I lke the bike but the ride quality for my weight [16 1/2 stones] is pretty bad.

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

I used the 15wt oil that came with my Hyperpro springs and thought the same as you so I changed it to 10wt which did help a bit more. My bike is in bits at the moment getting a bit of a tidy up and I am going to try 7.5wt next to see what that does.

 

 

Andy.

Share this post


Link to post
DelBoy
16 hours ago, outrunner said:

I used the 15wt oil that came with my Hyperpro springs and thought the same as you so I changed it to 10wt which did help a bit more. My bike is in bits at the moment getting a bit of a tidy up and I am going to try 7.5wt next to see what that does.

 

 

Andy.

Hmmm. May go for the Cartridge conversion in that case...

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ

Must agree with Del.  Anything less than a good cartridge conversion is unlikely to produce good compliance from the stock forks.  Plenty of good posts on the forum relating to suspension upgrading so worth a search if an upgrade is being considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:38, Tel said:

I had a Hyperpro fork kit [springs and 15w oil] installed onto my NC750X a couple of days ago and although there has been a small improvement I don't think it was as successful as I had hoped. I just wish Honda had added £300 to the cost of a new bike and fitted better quality suspension from new.

I might try a YSS shock because I've had them on other bikes before and liked them but I didn't really intend to spend much on the NC when I got it as I just wanted cheap practical everyday transport.  I lke the bike but the ride quality for my weight [16 1/2 stones] is pretty bad.

 

Terry, 16.5 stones is likely to be more than the designers intended the stock suspension to suit.  The first step would be to fit suitable springs for your weight.  Suitable springs will see the suspension sag by 30 to 35% of the total movement front and rear with you sitting on the bike ready to ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Tel

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the 7.5 fork oil first to see if that improves front end feel. I have just bought a YSS rear shock and will get that fitted as soon as possible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Herr Flick
On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:01, Tel said:

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the 7.5 fork oil first to see if that improves front end feel. I have just bought a YSS rear shock and will get that fitted as soon as possible.

 

 

Hi Terry, I'd be interested to know the part number/code for the YSS shock please? It'll start something like MZ505 etc. Also be interested to hear what you think of it in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Tel

YSS shock no. is MZ456-305TRL-34-X.

I am getting it fitted tomorrow evening. Fortunately, my mate is a very experienced main agent mechanic and does all my bikes servicing and upgrades.

I'll update when I've had a few decent rides on the NC.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tel

Had the YSS shock fitted yesterday; it took my mate [experienced main agent mechanic] just under an hour to swap over.

Noticed quite a big improvement but it's still not great, although I haven't experimented with any adjustments yet so time will  tell. 

I might be more sensitive to the ride quality than the average rider though due to serious and extensive injuries and orthopaedic problems.

YSS are very good quality and this shock is to the same standard as previous ones I've had. My mechanic uses them on his Pre-65 competition MX bikes too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Graham NZ

Did your mechanic get the spring strength right for your weight?

 

Arthritic spine and hips prompted me to have the suspension seriously reworked for my weight and our often ngarly roads and it was money well spent.  Still not the best ride I've had but pretty fair.  Stock was horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames
On 1/2/2019 at 17:38, Tel said:

YSS shock no. is MZ456-305TRL-34-X.

 

 

Are you sure on that?  

MZ506-300TRL-33 according to this http://www.yssshocks.co.uk/honda.html

 

although brooks try to sell you

MZ506-310TRL-41

for normal springs

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motorcycle-motorbike-shock-absorbers/honda-nc700-x-yss-shock-absorber-11-18/

and for stiffer

MZ506-310TRL-43

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motorcycle-motorbike-shock-absorbers/honda-nc750-x-harder-spring-yss-shock-absorber-14/

 

which on wemoto see to equate to (but without part numbers)

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/nc_750_x/14/picture/rear_yss_z-series_monoshock

and

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/nc_750_x/14/picture/rear_yss_alternative

respectively

 

Share this post


Link to post
Tel

That's what was fitted by my mechanic and it was much better than the standard shock. However,  I've decided to give up on trying to get the NC how I want and I'm getting a CBF1000 on Friday!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×