Sign in to follow this  
pjm

Feher air conditioned helmet

pjm

https://feherhelmets.com/

Looks just what we were looking for in an earlier post. Only $549.00 but unfortunately only on sale in the USA at the moment.

• Like 1

Hamish

I would love one.

Could imagine if your head is at a comfortable temperature then you would feel ok even on a very hot day. Then there is the safety aspect / lack of exhaustion / alertness. 

kayz1

The only problem i see with it is:

It will be another 30 years before we get a hot summer again...:D

Lyn. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Tonyj

Richard , please tell me you’re joking right . Top safety tip when really tired , thirsty , hungry , hot .just pull over and remedy it by doing the other action like drink , eat or take something off . I’m going to wait for the mars bar dispenser version  :0)

• Like 2

Spindizzy

Looks like peltier effect principles. Now you can get an ice-cream headache without the ice cream. I need to patent the idea of a diet helmet!

• Like 2

Grumpy Meltdown
40 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

The only problem i see with it is:

It will be another 30 years before we get a hot summer again...:D

Lyn. 

By which time I will probably be dead and will have been through much higher temperature without a care in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

lipsee

whatever next,,, looks to me like they have tacked one of those coolbox fans and bits to the back,,,it must be a joke!!!

• Like 1

Radarman

The first thing I looked there was weight of this helmet. It says 1450 grams which I'm doubtful because there's no info on the material used for helmet shell. The lightest versions of full face helmets weigh some 1250-1300 grams and they are usually carbon shell helmets. This one looks like standard fiberglass shell.

But of course this is just my speculation...

• Like 1

pjm

If it dealt with creating a dry environment to stop visor misting up it would be worth that alone. I can see a distinct advantage to having a cool head and hence a cool body when riding under the sun, even on a normal sunny day in the UK.  If it made riding with ATGATT comfortable it has to be a major step forward. It looks like an answer to a topic of adding fans to a helmet that came up a few weeks back. I will look forward to someone carrying out a real world review before I would look to compliment or criticise.

• Like 1

pjm

1450gms is pretty average so if they have achieved that it is commendable. I doubt that in the US litigious society they would risk publishing a specification that was not true. The fact that they supply the seat cooling systems for Rolls Royce, Lexus etc makes them a serious player and not a crowd funded newby.  As I say I will reserve judgment until a few real world reviews are out there. 

Edited by pjm

Radarman
2 minutes ago, pjm said:

As I say I will reserve judgment until a few real world revamped are out there. 

That's why I said it's just my speculation :thumbsup:

Andy m

Love the idea. Preventing misting is the first potential safety feature. Not sure about the weight though. Think I'd rather have a heated screen, but would certainly read the real world review.

I think they need to get the technology into a back pack for the weight. An umbilical carrying the voice directions/HUD/connectivity stuff, the power for the heated visor and camera and the info coming back from the eye position detection and what you've recorded. There is too much going on to keep the lids weight down. If the pack and helmet have accelerometers they can compare and are fastened together they could also deploy an inflatable neck brace as the pack straps would stop the brace pulling the lid off. 

No one will buy one, it'll cost a grand and we've all managed perfectly well with bits of polystyrene so have evolved spidey senses to avoid the crash 😁😁

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Hamish
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Richard , please tell me you’re joking right . Top safety tip when really tired , thirsty , hungry , hot .just pull over and remedy it by doing the other action like drink , eat or take something off . I’m going to wait for the mars bar dispenser version  :0)

Well, er, no. I think there is a real link between safety on the roads and driving comfort.

I used to drive down to Turin a fair bit and before air conditioning,  in summer it could be a real endurance test. Five hours with a hairdryer going in your face. Regular stops for refreshments didn't  help that much.

Another example if you like, there is a wind here called the Föhn, (pronounced fern). Woody99 can back me up here. It's a hot dry wind that blows down off the mountains. When it blows, it is said that people get irritable, driving gets erratic, road accidents (and murders apparently) go up. Ok nowadays drivers just switch on the air-conditioning but I can see the link. Everyone around me gets really annoying anyway. Now where did I put that knife...

:drool:

Tonyj
1 hour ago, pjm said:

If it dealt with creating a dry environment to stop visor misting up it would be worth that alone. I can see a distinct advantage to having a cool head and hence a cool body when riding under the sun, even on a normal sunny day in the UK.  If it made riding with ATGATT comfortable it has to be a major step forward. It looks like an answer to a topic of adding fans to a helmet that came up a few weeks back. I will look forward to someone carrying out a real world review before I would look to compliment or criticise.

Think you’ll be waiting a long to time to find out what is probably a great idea that don’t need fixixing . Snowmobiles riders cope with adverse temps as do skiers . Where would the big old battery go and when you fall off and land on it would it turn into marshmallow.:0)

Bart Stilgo

There's been similar devices in Agriculture and Welding (Speedglas) with cooling packs that attach to a belt and then blow air into the helmet.  They haven't used any cooling just forced air flow. 

The lack of cooling ducts should allow better air flow and so reduced noise in the helmet?

The American market is big enough for this to work but numbers over here would be low so it may not arrive.

Again the market is already saturated with helmets, is one that has some temperature control going to be of interest to enough people to find some shelf space.

We all seem to suffer from one niggle or another with helmets.  With the existing suppliers I have never been satisfied with any of the helmets I've ever had.  After a few weeks in use they show up some deficiency or other.  The key selling point on this one is heat control but how does it match up with noise or weight or any of the other problems we have with existing helmets.

Its nice to see some advancement in design and ideas but it lacks connectivity.

pjm

Go on the link as this uses a plug in to the bike battery rather than an on helmet battery.

Grumpy Meltdown

What would be really cool, sorry about that, is for some clever person to invent liquid cooled riding kit.

Like heated kit, but with the ability to pump cold in summer and hot in winter.

pjm

I think the cooled vests already exist.

Grumpy Meltdown

Yeah, but do they heat as well?

Everything in one garment that's what's needed

Andy m
20 hours ago, CFB said:

What would be really cool, sorry about that, is for some clever person to invent liquid cooled riding kit.

Already exists. Nasa used it and something similar was issued for V-bomber crews. Basically yards fish tank hose in a boiler suit, a tea earn/bucket of cold, pump etc. There was a bloke at one of the winter rallies using one (the same outfit used the hot water as a slow cooker) on a BMW K bike (hot tapped off the radiator via an exchanger coil, power from a VW alternator belt driven and mounted to the sidecar subframe) . The trouble with the suit was leakage. Imagine in combination of that trickle of rain water down your neck and a cup of tea tipped in your lap. He said it was like being peed on (lovely) .  Another one where I want to read the real world review before I buy the kit. 

Andy

Grumpy Meltdown

😂😂

Me too.

I think I'll stick to thermals and mesh, but not both together.

• Like 1

slowboy

Read through this lot, so we all get to look like this guy when it's hot?

IMG_0862.jpg

• Like 4

rjp996

would like one for the winter that blew warm air into the helmet / down the visor :-)

embee
On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:55, pjm said:

……... I doubt that in the US litigious society they would risk publishing a specification that was not true. The fact that they supply the seat cooling systems for Rolls Royce, Lexus etc makes them a serious player and not a crowd funded newby. …..

The article is carefully worded, probably for a reason.

It says "...utilizes a patented and field-proven technology that is used to cool the seats in vehicles built by...." , it doesn't say they build them. "Patented technology" could mean virtually anything, advertising speak.

It also says "….can be up to ten to fifteen degrees cooler...", note the words "can be" and "up to", plus the temps are in Fahrenheit. 

Just sayin'

It looks like probably a reasonably well engineered item, safety/quality questions aside. I'm sure there have been similar ideas before, maybe they've made something which works well.

slowboy
On 26/08/2018 at 14:27, CFB said:

Already happened, see pick below😎

7 hours ago, rjp996 said:

would like one for the winter that blew warm air into the helmet / down the visor :-)

Sort of happened, see also pick below 😉, works in hot, cold and wet weather😂😂

IMG_1459.jpg

Long since left my ownership though

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 2
  • Sigh 1