Switched ignition live......

marketdrayton

marketdrayton

Hi,

i have had a seat made for my 2016 X and part of the remodelling included installing heated pads ready for the winter commute.....but. I have yet to wire them in properly (I have tagged onto a 30Amp ABS fused supply for the time being but this is not switched. So if I leave the seat in OR someone switches the seat in I could end up with a flat battery.....any idea where the easiest location to borrow a supply......I already have factory fog lights, heated grips so should be plenty of supplies......I just didn’t want to splice the loom ideally.

thanks.

See the OPTION 6P connector (and the accessory subharness kit). It’s what you need.

Andy m

You are looking for this

29502603081_16a21d1d42_k.jpg

Right hand side under the helmet locker on my 2016 S pictured here, LHS on some others. 

The ABS ECU makes a ***ing expensive fuse if your heated grips go short and pull a few extra Amps on their way out. I shouldn't complain, this sort of wiring from Tracker and phone fitters and their scotchlocks is paying my bonus which is buying my new boots. 

Andy

• Like 1
7 hours ago, marketdrayton said:

Hi,

i have had a seat made for my 2016 X and part of the remodelling included installing heated pads ready for the winter commute.....but. I have yet to wire them in properly (I have tagged onto a 30Amp ABS fused supply for the time being but this is not switched. So if I leave the seat in OR someone switches the seat in I could end up with a flat battery.....any idea where the easiest location to borrow a supply......I already have factory fog lights, heated grips so should be plenty of supplies......I just didn’t want to splice the loom ideally.

thanks.

My first option would be to use the 6p connector but be aware that it is switched on through a relay and a 7.5A fuse. I ssume you are already using a couple or more of these Amps for the factory fitted fog lights and grips IF they are connected as per Honda reccomandation.

On my 2016X the 6p connector was on LHS.

TheEnglishman

Run the heated seat circuit through a relay with the relay triggered by an ignition switched feed in series with the heated seat switch

Much safer, better option

Andy m

Use the switched 6p to feed the switch the relay. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Andy m

The 30A fuse is for the ABS. The modulator needs to fire its solenoids without risk of a fuse blowing. These are heavy, instantaneous loads that will only last a second or so. The cable may well not be 30A continuously rated. 

Andy

i wired my heated equipment to a battery live feed from the battery ( in line fuse), and wired through an automotive hi amp relay, taking the switched live from the socket in fuse board (eg put a spade in it) where the accessory relay goes. This wire also has an inline fused the wire can be easily routed out the back of the fuse box.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AceTallPaul
On 04/09/2018 at 12:46, rjp996 said:

i wired my heated equipment to a battery live feed from the battery ( in line fuse), and wired through an automotive hi amp relay, taking the switched live from the socket in fuse board (eg put a spade in it) where the accessory relay goes. This wire also has an inline fused the wire can be easily routed out the back of the fuse box.

I’ve got my heated grips direct onto the battery and thought about doing what you describe. 

Can i just clarify? Did you put a fuse in the accessory position, and a relay in the accessory slot, but then wired (how) directly into the relay (or do you just stick the wire in before pushing the relay home)

I just got a normal automotive relay, then took the switched live from the position in the fuse box for the perminative live leg of the relay. Took an inline fuse on the wire for protection and ran it to the automotive relay. 

Power is still drawn direct from the battery for the grips, with the switched live feed from the fuse box only used to trigger the external automotive relay.

i did it this way as I did not want to cut / tap into the bikes loom for switched live since there was one there in the fuse box already. 

I just put a small spade connector on the switch live wire so it would plug right into the fuse box / really hole. 

There is a convenient slot in the centre of the back of the fuse box right next to the connection point so you can pass the relay trigger wire out the back and front cover of the fuse box goes back on normally.