24k Service cost

JamesS

Sorry if this has already been addresses elsewhere, but as my 24k service is due soon I was wondering if people had a view on how much this one is likely to cost?

suffolk58

It's a minor service so shouldn't be too much.

I've got the 32,000 mile service next week and I'm currently selling a kidney to pay for it. :)

• Haha 1
Defender
26 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

It's a minor service so shouldn't be too much.

I've got the 32,000 mile service next week and I'm currently selling a kidney to pay for it. :)

Aren't the valves due a check at 24,000?

Mine is approaching that mileage, would have been done sooner if it hadn't have had an enforced period off the road!

suffolk58

A year ago my 24,000 mile service was £129.

The quote for the 32,000 mile was £400+ (depending if the brake pads need replacing, which I recon won't make the 40,000 mark).

TheEnglishman

Is there no way you can do the easy stuff yourself?  Changing brake pads requires two spanners, a can of brake cleaner, an old toothbrush, and some new pads. And will take you an hour, tops.

Doing the valves requires an allen key, a spanner, feeler gauges, a screwdriver and about a pint of coolant.  And takes an hour.  

Why not do the really easy stuff yourself and just get the garage to do stuff you can't?  You'd save a small fortune.  A list of everything that needs doing is freely available.

suffolk58

And painting the living room ceiling is child's play. You just need a brush and a pot of paint (or worse still, a roller).

But there's a reason why the wife won't let me do it, and pays a professional painter and decorator to do it. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3