Exhaust cleaning

SeaSideGuy

SeaSideGuy

Had my Integra for a few months now, and ridden in all weathers, noticed my exhaust pipes looking very discoloured and jaded, so after a bit of youtube research, I tried the Harpic Max bleach method.

It worked a treat, I painted it on using a cheapo brush, left it 5 mins or so, and rinsed off with cold water, and brought exhaust up nice, topped it off and polished exhaust off with Autosol Marine Metal polish (its all I has as I work in a marine stores).  Came up lovely. Just thought would share as the Harpic is dirt cheap.

• Like 1

I think that you probably won't be able to find anything better than Autosol Metal Polish.  I was very impressed when I used it on my Deauville.

Edited by DMB

Not to worry you but I read somewhere that the Harpic is reacting with something in the stainless steel, and not in a good way. Don't know whether this is true and have read of others using Harpic. No doubt there is someone on the forum with a chemical engineering/ metallurgy background.

Mr Toad
21 minutes ago, baben said:

Not to worry you but I read somewhere that the Harpic is reacting with something in the stainless steel, and not in a good way. Don't know whether this is true and have read of others using Harpic. No doubt there is someone on the forum with a chemical engineering/ metallurgy background.

I've used Harpic, and cheaper bog cleaners on, stainless exhausts and never had an issue with it. 

Being a proper cynic I do wonder if the makers of expensive automotive specific cleaners see the videos on YouTube and social media then start the rumours of impending disaster in bid to protect their market.

Of course there might be some truth in it but to what degree?

If it's going to eat through the pipes inside 6 months or turn them to cheese after the third application then yes it's a problem. However, if it causes a 0.5% chance of pipe weakness or failure if said pipe is left immersed in Harpic for 25 years then cleaning your exhaust with it once a week for the duration of yours and the next ten owners isn't going to be a real problem.

We used to have some really good wipes that were used to clean the contacts on the cards in the servers that was banned, for us at least,  due to the possibility of it being carcinogenic. Those that replaced them were rubbish and left a residue on the contacts that then had to wiped off. When someone actually read the several thousand page report they worked that you'd have to bathe in the stuff for decades for there to be a small percentage increase in the possibility of getting skin cancer!!

Elf and Safety..................Elf and Safety.

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I reckon you are probably right Mason but I thought I'd mention what I'd read - just in case.:angel:

• Like 2
Mr Toad
6 minutes ago, baben said:

I reckon you are probably right Mason but I thought I'd mention what I'd read - just in case.:angel:

Oh absolutely Glendon, if people have as much info as possible they are far better placed to make a decision. Some people are naturally more cautious while others are risk takers and both are fine, you should always do what you're comfortable with.  

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Smiffy said:

All the controversy about Harpic is driving me round the bend! Exhausts get hot, they're meant to discolour, let them do what nature intended. 

All well and good but on my T100 the exhaust don't go that filthy matt yellow colour, there's a bit of nice blueing near the header then glorious shiny pipes. On other bikes they start out reasonable then go that flat grotty yellow until given the harpic treatment.

Some people don't care, some like clean pipes.

Has anyone tried using the 'Harpic Max bleach method' on their teeth?  I've a feeling it might restore mine to their original colour, but I'm not sure.

• Haha 2
SeaSideGuy
5 hours ago, baben said:

If that was the case, then a lot of our toilet & bathrooms & kitchen sinks are in trouble with all that stainless steel reaction lol.

1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:
3 hours ago, Smiffy said:

All the controversy about Harpic is driving me round the bend! Exhausts get hot, they're meant to discolour, let them do what nature intended. 

1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

All well and good but on my T100 the exhaust don't go that filthy matt yellow colour, there's a bit of nice blueing near the header then glorious shiny pipes. On other bikes they start out reasonable then go that flat grotty yellow until given the harpic treatment.

Some people don't care, some like clean pipes.

Mr Toad, my post was done in jest I was taking the mik out of that old TV advert about Harpic and the U bend. I like clean pipes too. :angel: