larryblag

Tracer 700

baben

Ooh! That looks lovely!  Detailed review asap please. The light weight appeals to me. What is its happy motorway cruise speed?

• Thanks 1

Rocker66

Nice. Glad that your search finally came up with something you really like. I hope you both have a great time on it. Look forward to a full report when you have done more miles on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

larryblag

Thanks Glendon, cheers Rocker. It was only delivered yesterday. I'll do one of my usual reports as soon as I can. 

But so far I'm extremely happy with it. Went a run out last night with Kelly for about 30 miles. No motorway. On the twisty stuff I kept over-controlling. Having been used to a considerable more counter steering input (especially on the Harley) this needs hardly any at all. So relaxing to ride because of this. Gearbox is super light too, the clutch being largely superfluous for up-changes. Economy reads well. Average showing was 55mpg (not bad considering it's probably been ragged by demo customers) 66.5mpg after last night's stint. Not at all bad for 20bhp over the NC. Exhaust is rubbish though. Might as well be electric. Needs Arrow or dare I say Akropovic. 

Power to weight figures are quite impressive:

0.38bhp/kg

0.34Nm/kg

Ooh, having been all over it with the ACF 50-laden 1" paint brush last night I'll just add that I've had a good opportunity to review its construction. No sign yet of the reported "Yamaha questionable build quality" it looks very well screwed together for a not expensive bike. 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 3

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Thanks Glendon, cheers Rocker. It was only delivered yesterday. I'll do one of my usual reports as soon as I can. 

But so far I'm extremely happy with it. Went a run out last night with Kelly for about 30 miles. No motorway. On the twisty stuff I kept over-controlling. Having been used to a considerable more counter steering input (especially on the Harley) this needs hardly any at all. So relaxing to ride because of this. Gearbox is super light too, the clutch being largely superfluous for up-changes. Economy reads well. Average showing was 55mpg (not bad considering it's probably been ragged by demo customers) 66.5mpg after last night's stint. Not at all bad for 20bhp over the NC. Exhaust is rubbish though. Might as well be electric. Needs Arrow or dare I say Akropovic. 

Power to weight figures are quite impressive:

0.38bhp/kg

0.34Nm/kg

If the budget will stretch to it go for the Akrapovic a class bit of kit and to my mind the quality is well worth the extra.

• Thanks 1

larryblag

Full system due to the design of the original. Been quoted £800(ish) :hyper:

alhendo1

Very nice indeed....I wish you both many happy miles on it....the best colour is the icing on the cake👍

• Thanks 1

klrman
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

OK. 

Latest acquisition. A Yamaha Tracer 700.

Been hanging my nose over this bike for a month now. A combination of a good price offered for the NCS (which we bought at exactly the right price) and this three month old ex demo Tracer with just 1500 miles on it for £1500 less than new meant it was a deal too good to miss and has made up for recent finincial losses quite a bit. 

What's it like? 

It's incredible to be honest. Lively cross plane motor with torque everywhere and very, very light (twenty whole bags of sugar lighter than the NC). After recent bikes it's like riding a souped up 125 - except for the power obviously. Little bit taller than the NCS but no issue at all due to the (lack of) weight.

Very good pillion provision including decently low passenger footpegs. Good (one finger) brakes. And the suspension is surprisingly good. Decent screen for 5'4" me and quite good weather protection. 

Here she is then. 

Tracer 700

It was a close call when I bought the 750X, having shortlisted to the 2 bikes. The novelty of an automatic and mpg ultimately swung it 

• Like 1

Tex

Wow! Really pleased for you both. Well. All three of you! :D Everyone seems to rave over the 700 Yamaha twins and 900 triples - I must try one. 

20 bhp more and 20 kg less is what I would like to do to my Triumph.. ;) 

• Like 1

Smiffy

That looks a cracking bike; I hope you enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

Hickky

My new Kwaka is 50+ bhp more and no more weight than your Triumph (have you changed the cam yet?) yet still remains a 'retro' bike. The issue is I now have an X decat pipe set and levers for a T100/120 watercooled Bonneville unused. If anybody wants them here I will put them up for sale on this forum, otherwise a Triumph forum will have to do.

• Like 1

larryblag

I can understand the 50mm swing arm lengthening compared to the MT07 and XSR though. Last thing you want is a wheelie-prone touring bike :frantics:

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1

cartejo5

Looks brilliant, I’ve never seen a bad review of them. I’m waiting for the elusive T700 tenere to be launched, it might be at the NEC show this year with any luck as they’ve been doing the world ride for the last few months on the pre production model. Actually I think it’s in the Uk at the moment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=ExSUW8fxL6znsAfHmIXgBA&ins=false&q=yamaha+t700&oq=yamaha+t7&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.2.0l5.2349.5516..8197...0.0..0.103.697.8j1......0....1.......3..41j0i131j46i131.6s1u1Nxp2zM#imgrc=jysg3_uqkwrGVM:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sid

Nice looking bike mate.

I must admit, I was extremely tempted with the Mt-07 before buying the NC.

I ended up with the NC, as it's a low miler and I got it for a good price. Otherwise, it would have deffo been the Yam.

In saying that, I'm really pleased with the NC and have no plans to change anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

SteveThackery

I absolutely love that engine (the one I tried was an MT-07).  It's an absolute cracker, and I thought it was a great bike to ride.

• Thanks 1

Tex
6 hours ago, Hickky said:

My new Kwaka is 50+ bhp more and no more weight than your Triumph (have you changed the cam yet?) yet still remains a 'retro' bike. The issue is I now have an X decat pipe set and levers for a T100/120 watercooled Bonneville unused. If anybody wants them here I will put them up for sale on this forum, otherwise a Triumph forum will have to do.

What sort of levers? 

• Like 1

larryblag
1 hour ago, Tex said:

What sort of levers? 

Tyre levers. 

Going tubeless? :angel:

• Haha 1

larryblag
4 hours ago, cartejo5 said:

Looks brilliant, I’ve never seen a bad review of them. I’m waiting for the elusive T700 tenere to be launched, it might be at the NEC show this year with any luck as they’ve been doing the world ride for the last few months on the pre production model. Actually I think it’s in the Uk at the moment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=ExSUW8fxL6znsAfHmIXgBA&ins=false&q=yamaha+t700&oq=yamaha+t7&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.2.0l5.2349.5516..8197...0.0..0.103.697.8j1......0....1.......3..41j0i131j46i131.6s1u1Nxp2zM#imgrc=jysg3_uqkwrGVM:

That looks brilliant. It'll be a winner for certain. You'd think this level of modularisation would produce boring sameness yet Yamaha are doing it right with the MT range. 

Set up costs being reduced, they are able to be fairly adventurous across the range with each version appealing to a particular customer. Keeps the price down too. 

Collect them all :D

Hickky

Tex, black clutch and brake levers from Tec bikeparts. £5.00 should secure them if you want.

• Thanks 1

Tex
7 hours ago, Hickky said:

Tex, black clutch and brake levers from Tec bikeparts. £5.00 should secure them if you want.

That’s too cheap. How about £5 each? :) 

Rocker66
12 hours ago, cartejo5 said:

Now that looks like an “Adventure” bike

• Like 1

Mr Toad
19 hours ago, Tex said:

Wow! Really pleased for you both. Well. All three of you! :D Everyone seems to rave over the 700 Yamaha twins and 900 triples - I must try one.

Tex, best if you don't.

My brother in law has an MT09 and riding it only makes you want one.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

slowboy

Very nice Mr Blag, at this rate you'll be chasing Rocker up the number of bikes owned table 😂😂😂.

Hope you and Kelly enjoy it.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Toad
22 hours ago, larryblag said:

OK. 

Latest acquisition. A Yamaha Tracer 700.

Been hanging my nose over this bike for a month now. A combination of a good price offered for the NCS (which we bought at exactly the right price) and this three month old ex demo Tracer with just 1500 miles on it for £1500 less than new meant it was a deal too good to miss and has made up for recent finincial losses quite a bit. 

What's it like? 

It's incredible to be honest. Lively cross plane motor with torque everywhere and very, very light (twenty whole bags of sugar lighter than the NC). After recent bikes it's like riding a souped up 125 - except for the power obviously. Little bit taller than the NCS but no issue at all due to the (lack of) weight.

Very good pillion provision including decently low passenger footpegs. Good (one finger) brakes. And the suspension is surprisingly good. Decent screen for 5'4" me and quite good weather protection. 

Here she is then. 

Tracer 700

Do you still have the NC as well?

• Like 1

larryblag

Sadly not. The number of bikes in our household is limited to n+0 

I'd like a shed full of them though. 

• Like 2