larryblag

Tracer 700

SteveThackery
3 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Dammit, they should have faired in a lot more of the engine.  As it is, it'll be just as hard to keep clean and rust-free as the Tracer and MT.

From a styling point of view it reminds me of a car crash.

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 2

Ciaran1602

What is it about Yamaha and the fussy details? The fairing over the fuel tank and engine has 7 creases in it for heaven's sake. And all the powder black cross bars and things around the engine, the dual struts from the frame to part of the swing-arm. Even the little air intake type things by the headlight have three cut outs in them. And the little fin type things at the top of the black bits on the front forks. The blue ish colour is goping as well.

They used to produce properly clean, attractively designed bikes with a relative minimum of fuss (IMO The XJ6 was one of the prettiest half faired middleweights ever made). Now it's like....I don't know. All a bit try hard.

Everyone seems to absolutely rave about them and to ride they're probably the Canine's cojones but I can't find the energy to be enthused by it.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 3

SteveThackery
1 minute ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Everyone seems to absolutely rave about them and to ride they're probably the Canine's cojones but I can't find the energy to be enthused by it.

You would be if you rode one (forgive me if you already have).  The engine is outstanding and the chassis is good.  But Yamaha have made some utterly weird styling and design decisions.

I was so tempted to buy one, but I need to use my bike in the winter, too, and I think cleaning and rust prevention would be a really big job.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602
Just now, SteveThackery said:

You would be if you rode one (forgive me if you already have).  The engine is outstanding and the chassis is good.  But Yamaha have made some utterly weird styling and design decisions.

I was so tempted to buy one, but I need to use my bike in the winter, too, and I think cleaning and rust prevention would be a really big job.

It's extraordinarily difficult not to wander down to Parkroad Powerbikes and have a sit given they are 200 metres from my house. Resist, resist.

That being said I genuinely think the NC750 is a prettier bike. Better proportioned, neater. It may be the Astra diesel of the biking world but that doesn't make it unpretty.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

larryblag
11 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

It's extraordinarily difficult not to wander down to Parkroad Powerbikes and have a sit given they are 200 metres from my house. Resist, resist.

That being said I genuinely think the NC750 is a prettier bike. Better proportioned, neater. It may be the Astra diesel of the biking world but that doesn't make it unpretty.

The styling is a little polarising.

As you all know Kelly called it the "brain" bike. Dunno about cleaning cos I've not got it dirty yet. I forgive it all this. The NC is most definitely prettier (apart from the industrial plumbing hose on the NCS). 

But please ride one if you can. I've no idea how they get a relatively small engine to have such an incredible spread of power. But it has to be experienced to be properly appreciated. Yesterday I was whooping and punching the air as I hooned all over Breedon on the Hill. :frantics:

If I'm honest, they should do a fully faired full tourer (built in panniers?) It'd work, it really would. 

• Like 1

Steveb2418

I remember when they really were in Park Rd and their small showroom had a Norton Commando and two BSA  lightnings . That was all they could fit in :-) 

• Like 1

klrman
1 minute ago, larryblag said:

As you all know Kelly called it the "brain" bike. Dunno about cleaning cos I've not got it dirty yet. I forgive it all this. The NC is most definitely prettier (apart from the industrial plumbing hose on the NCS). 

But please ride one if you can. I've no idea how they get a relatively small engine to have such an incredible spread of power. But it has to be experienced to be properly appreciated. Yesterday I was whooping and punching the air as I hooned all over Breedon on the Hill. :frantics:

If I'm honest, they should do a fully faired full tourer (built in panniers?) It'd work, it really would. 

You'd struggle to get a faired version around the hairpin and up the road to the church 

• Haha 1

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, larryblag said:

The only reason I haven't ridden it yet is I have this nagging suspicion I will have to have one. All thoughts of maxi-scooters and practicality will go out the window cause I want it.

My bank balance can only take so much abuse. :ahappy:

• Like 1

SteveThackery
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Totally agree!

• Like 1

outrunner

I test rode a Tracer 700 today and was very impressed with the bike. All the ergonomics seemed right, hand foot and backside all seemed to fit in just the right place, the suspension felt better than the NC's before I modified it, as far as I remember anyway. The engine is a little sweetie, pulls well all the way to 100 Mph which is when the private road ran out.;) Corners were handled well, brakes were good and the bike seemed to be a bit quieter than the NC and the 30 kilos less made it easier to move around. The model I rode was a nice shade of blue, which I am led to believe is the fastest colour. The only thing that stopped me from buying one was the rather mean offer of £3000 for my 16 plate NCX which if I am honest, does everything I want from a bike so thather than take a big hit I have decided to keep it, after all it has only done 29560 miles since june 2016.

Andy.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602
22 minutes ago, outrunner said:

after all it has only done 29560 miles since june 2016.

Andy.

If I were to hazard a guess, I reckon that'll be the killer. To you or I, rational (I hope!) people, we know that the NC is more than capable 4/5 times that mileage if properly maintained but 15k a year is probably quite a lot for most motorbikes now. 

That being said, that represents well over 50% depreciation in only two years. That does seem a bit mean.

• Sad 1

baben

Took Tigger for  a ride today, loved it as usual but putting the bike back in the bike cave set off my ectopics. I really am going to have to look for something lighter. I'd really like a Street Triple but my riding is all about touring in comfort so I am going to arrange a ride on a Tracer 700. My main concern is whether my legs will be too cramped to be honest - I am a 31 inch inside leg.

• Like 1

Rocker66
16 minutes ago, baben said:

Took Tigger for  a ride today, loved it as usual but putting the bike back in the bike cave set off my ectopics. I really am going to have to look for something lighter. I'd really like a Street Triple but my riding is all about touring in comfort so I am going to arrange a ride on a Tracer 700. My main concern is whether my legs will be too cramped to be honest - I am a 31 inch inside leg.

I wish we could swap legs you could easily tuck my short ones up on the Tracer and your long ones would allow me to buy an Africa Twin Adventure.😀😀

• Like 1

outrunner

I would imagine you would be OK as I have 30 inch inside leg and I ride with my toes on the pegs and felt quite comfortable, only problem with my riding style was my right heel was hitting the silencer, but a big hammer would solve that. ;)

Andy.

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 minute ago, outrunner said:

I would imagine you would be OK as I have 30 inch inside leg and I ride with my toes on the pegs and felt quite comfortable, only problem with my riding style was my right heel was hitting the silencer, but a big hammer would solve that. ;)

Andy.

Isn’t taking a big hammer to your heel a bit OTT? 😀😀

outrunner
Just now, Rocker66 said:

Isn’t taking a big hammer to your heel a bit OTT? 😀😀

On reflection, I could have worded it better.:D

Andy.

• Like 1

larryblag
2 hours ago, baben said:

Glendon, my inside leg is 29" so you might not be far off the ideal. 

Seat height is a little tall for me. I'm on the balls of my feet so I just sit slightly to one side when stationary. You'd be spot on though. 

Please do have a test ride. I know the styling has its foibles and the criticism is justified - but if you can get past that... :D

larryblag
FJR700F