Back brake??

sid

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the back brake is a bit naff?

Mine needs a very serious prod / pressure to do anything useful. Bike has 4800 miles and a 2016 model.

Andy m

It'll lock the wheel/make the ABS cut in and is able to hold the fully laden, two up bike any slope I've met. It's fine. 

What I suspect we are talking about again is the feel at low decelerations. You'd be happier if the thought of braking resulted in compression of fork springs and minor discomfort in the tank/gentlemans traditional evening meal interface zone. Instead you feel like you've waded through porridge in diving boots. This could be achieved best using a bigger master cylinder, but then it might not be shared with other bikes and would cost more. 

Andy

• Like 1

Andy,

Obviously I don't expect it to stop the bike like the front.

What I'm saying, is even when going quite slowly, up to a junction maybe, it still needs a serious prod before it feels like it's doing anything useful.

It's not a problem as such, as like most I predominantly use the front. I just wondered if it's just how the rear brake is on these. The rear on other bikes I've had were much more fierce in comparison.

Change the pads to EBC FA140 HH.

After trying others I have these now and they have made all the difference, I can now feel that the brake is working,

Edited by skorpion
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, skorpion said:

After trying othersI have these now and they have made all the difference, I can now feel that the brake is working,

Thanks mate, I may look into that.

2 hours ago, sid said:

Andy,

What I'm saying, is even when going quite slowly, up to a junction maybe, it still needs a serious prod before it feels like it's doing anything useful.

It's not a problem as such, as like most I predominantly use the front. I just wondered if it's just how the rear brake is on these. The rear on other bikes I've had were much more fierce in comparison.

It’s the same for me.

2 hours ago, sid said:

I don't want the rear brake to be too fierce but It could do with a bit more bite to it. I've been stamping on it from day one hoping that the pads just need bedding into the disk but I think I'm getting the best I'm going to get with these pads. 

Just now, Smiffy said:

I don't want the rear brake to be too fierce but It could do with a bit more bite to it. I've been stamping on it from day one hoping that the pads just need bedding into the disk but I think I'm getting the best I'm going to get with these pads. 

Agree about being too fierce. My SV650S could lock the wheel with ease, which was a complete pain (and dangerous) sometimes.

I may change the pads as advised earlier when I get the chance. I'm not in any hurry though tbh. I just wondered if it's how these brakes are.

I'm getting the feeling it is, so it's not a concern per se.

1 minute ago, sid said:

Agree about being too fierce. My SV650S could lock the wheel with ease, which was a complete pain (and dangerous) sometimes.

I may change the pads as advised earlier when I get the chance. I'm not in any hurry though tbh. I just wondered if it's how these brakes are.

I'm getting the feeling it is, so it's not a concern per se.

You'll probably appreciate it in the wet when you definitely don't want the rear to lock up. :)

2 minutes ago, Smiffy said:

You'll probably appreciate it in the wet when you definitely don't want the rear to lock up. :)

Ah! - but we have abs......;)

I'm really happy with the brakes. They're nowhere near as good as the ones on my Versys 1000, which are nowhere near as good as they were on my ZZR1400.  But they're a lot better than my Yam 600 TT, and the Enfield. Pretty much what I'd expect really

Fitting the EBC FA140 HH rear pads doesn't make the rear brake vicious/grabby,  it now brakes as you would expect.

Bigglesaircraft

I have a 2013X with ABS and still have the original oem pads but nearly always use the back in conjunction with the front and really notice the difference, perhaps only using the rear occasionally requires them to clean themselves before becoming really effective. I also nearly always use engine breaking as this is really effective with the NC and much more comfortable with two up, saves on brake pads too.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
  • Like 1

I have found the rear brake on all of my ‘modern bikes’ perhaps with the exception of the cbf1000 to be very weak. I have a downhill drive to the road. Where the drive ends and the splay section is, there is a four to five inch drop. The rear wheel drops over this and there is not much room to stop before the road  starts at what is effectively a T junction. I creep down the drive holding it on the rear brake but it is so weak I always have to rely on the final stop with the front brake. Nothing wrong with the brake, disk clean and the brakes gently bedded in. However I think I would struggle to lock it. 

14 hours ago, sid said:

Ah! - but we have abs......;)

My abs are well defined but hidden under a layer of padding. A bit like a six pack covered by a double cheese pizza. 

• Sigh 1

Just checking. But we are talking about pressing a pedal here, not pulling a handle on the LH bar ?  😂

• Haha 1
On 9/9/2018 at 09:52, Woody 99 said:

My abs are well defined but hidden under a layer of padding. A bit like a six pack covered by a double cheese pizza. 

Mine is more like a "party 7" these days....

• 4 months later...
Guest David T
On 08/09/2018 at 16:40, sid said:

Andy,

Yeah compared to the ER6N the back brake on this 750s seems pathetic. As you said even just trying to scrub a tiny bit of speed off it seems like an effort. And when dragging the back brake when manoeuvring at really low speeds (4 to 5 mph) even engaging the clutch with the engine at tick over will easily pull against the brake and accelerate. It might as well not be there. But I'm coming up for 24,000 service and may well take Skorpions advice and get new pads while I'm at it. Will keep you posted as to what happens. But on a positive note it can't get much worse. 

listener

The rear brake on my NC750x is puny; as was the one on my previous NC700x.

I don't think it's down to lack of actual stopping power, more that it's not very 'progressive" and lacks in 'feel'.

It appears to have a skewed rate of increase in pressure, which means a long phase of light braking before the serious stopping power kicks in.

And a full on 'stomp' will activate the ABS.

Over my tenure of the above two bikes I have had a number of courtesy bikes (during services) and test rides, and most of those replacements (even the Hondas) have had much more progressive brakes.

PS: Who wants a 'six pack' when they can have a tanker?!

PPS: I don't have a "beer belly". It's 100% gen-yoo-ine FAT! :P

• Haha 1
trisaki

Give the brake  a good clean ie piston etc ,lube the slider pins and then bleed , should be fine , my rear brake at 4000 miles had air in the system  

• Like 1
Graham NZ
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 05:05, skorpion said:

After trying others I have these now and they have made all the difference, I can now feel that the brake is working,

They are what I fitted to my NC.  Work well.

I use both brakes most of the time but quite often the rear only.  Never the front only.  Anyone who doesn't use the rear brake still has something to learn and would be wise to look into it.

• Like 2