Valve clearance

hypnotic

Griff

Hmmmm. Had a look on here to see how long some folks have left their valve clearances unchecked before first checking them. On my former NC700X I did them myself for peace of mind more than anything and also because they were easy enough to do. I think I did them around 30,000kms. I found a couple of Exhaust valve clearances slightly tighter than spec but not sufficiently to have caused a problem. 

However doing the valve clearances on an X-Adv is a totally different ball game. Almost all of the large bodywork panels require removal and that is a total pain in the ass because of the way in which Honda connect them to each other with easily breakable tabs and other fiddly bits and pieces. All that before you even take radiator removal and the like into account. Then I also find that almost all of the major panels on the left side have to be removed when replacing the front sprocket. As such I have decided to do the clearances in tandem with chain and sprocket replacement. The chain is still hanging in there so I could well be into 30,000+ kms before doing the valve clearances. 

This is the one major downside of X-Adv ownership. However it is such a nice bike otherwise that I have decided to put up with it. Mileage now 24500kms

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• klrman

• Graham NZ

• SteveThackery

• temp

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get me started ! Get them checked  it's not a hard job combine it with a coolant change  ones I have done seemed to be running fine once done ie adjusted customers have noticed a difference   bu

I advise having the valve clearances checked as soon as possible if the bike is new and if you've just bought a used one.  Once you know for certain that they are correct repeat the procedure every th

Actually, I've got a slightly challenging thought about this!  I put it to you that the "wheel" per se didn't really need inventing, because it's just a thin slice cut off the end of a roller.  Ancien

embee
4 hours ago, Griff said:

…….. so I could well be into 30,000+ kms before doing the valve clearances. 

This is the one major downside of X-Adv ownership. However it is such a nice bike otherwise that I have decided to put up with it. Mileage now 24500kms

I know your grief, the Integra isn't much better and I've just done a major service on my 650 Deauville, which is just as bad if not worse in some respects.

I've checked my Integra clearances several times, whenever I've had cause to go in there I think I may as well check them if it's not much extra work. It's up to near 35k miles and so far they've only ever been a shade out, and wouldn't have taken any harm if left for longer. On the Deau we generally reckon 20k miles is perfectly OK between checks, you could probably make it 30k and no great harm would come, especially once it's fully settled in. I reckon these engines take at least 20k miles to get properly freed off (the NC and Deau are very similar engineering-wise in many respects).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about to clock 100,000 in next few days and never had valves checked or adjusted. The bike is running sweet and never burns oil between changes. A bit reluctant to have them done as running so well. A bit like a check up and clean at dentist then next day a tooth ache. May get them done later in year just out of interest.What do you guys think .cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Griff
On 5/30/2019 at 19:53, putz said:

Just about to clock 100,000 in next few days and never had valves checked or adjusted. The bike is running sweet and never burns oil between changes. A bit reluctant to have them done as running so well. A bit like a check up and clean at dentist then next day a tooth ache. May get them done later in year just out of interest.What do you guys think .cheers.

I suppose out of curiosity alone at that great mileage I would check them. Great also to hear of such high mileage trouble free. There are truly great motors in these underrated motorcycles. After a trip to Wales earlier this week in the company of other much more powerful bikes their owners have a new found respect for my 54 bhp 750 :ahappy: 

• Like 1
Tex

I would have checked them long ago, such neglect doesn’t sit well with me! 

trisaki

Checked mine at 8000 (nc700) one needed a tweak , checked them just recently  now at 16000 all eight  were tight , all done now and bike feels a wee bit livelier  , see a lot of neglected bikes come through  my wshop  , not always the owners fault , recently  had tiger 2050 sport in , just had his annual  8000 service by his triumph dealer  to stamp  his book basically,  they told him his tyres were 3/4 worn but forgot to tell him his front  pads were nearly down to metal and his head bearings  were notchy 

baben
14 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Checked mine at 8000 (nc700) one needed a tweak , checked them just recently  now at 16000 all eight  were tight , all done now and bike feels a wee bit livelier  , see a lot of neglected bikes come through  my wshop  , not always the owners fault , recently  had tiger 2050 sport in , just had his annual  8000 service by his triumph dealer  to stamp  his book basically,  they told him his tyres were 3/4 worn but forgot to tell him his front  pads were nearly down to metal and his head bearings  were notchy 

Trouble is, I would not trust anything my dealer told me. They said the pads were nearly done but they weren't, they said the chain was shagged and it had 2000 left in it. They then told me my new chain has a tight spot - but I cannot find anything.  I wish I were a competent mechanic because I would then do it all myself but I know I am not so I have had to look hard to find someone I trust.

20 minutes ago, baben said:

Trouble is, I would not trust anything my dealer told me. They said the pads were nearly done but they weren't, they said the chain was shagged and it had 2000 left in it. They then told me my new chain has a tight spot - but I cannot find anything.  I wish I were a competent mechanic because I would then do it all myself but I know I am not so I have had to look hard to find someone I trust.

One point about servicing is that it's meant to take care of all the stuff lots of people don't want to think about or keep checking. So if your pads/chain/tyres probably won't last until the next service then they should be advising new or  (if you're the type they think will do it) that you check regularly yourself.

• Like 1
rjp996

Checked my valves first time at 62,000 I think. All were reasonable nr spec - adjusted two I think to make it bang in the middle of the range, but did not really need to. 

Garages and break pads - wife's car failed MOT with a dangerous- pad below 1.5mm, meaning you should not drive it away - offered to fix them for £280. 

Took car home, swapped pads out for £16 brenbo pads, went back to garage with pads, lowest 3.2mm rest 4.5mm. 

Edited by rjp996
  • Sigh 1
DaveM59
20 hours ago, elbee said:

One point about servicing is that it's meant to take care of all the stuff lots of people don't want to think about or keep checking. So if your pads/chain/tyres probably won't last until the next service then they should be advising new or  (if you're the type they think will do it) that you check regularly yourself.

Exactly, which is why the opinion of dealers generally, by those that are capable of their own maintenance, is of being ripped off. They change or warn you about stuff that won't last until they next see the vehicle, but probably also err on the cautious side. If you know enough to check yourself it seems like they were lying. Some do exaggerate a lot though!

I service everything except the oil/filter which is done by the book, and check coolant/brake fluid depending on when it was last disturbed and everything else as and when it is required not to any schedule and keep my own records. This way I eek full mileage and value from every part I use, nothing is binned before it's worn out.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 3
The Possum

One reason I bought the NC was its such an easy bike to work on and if you follow the manual there isn't much you'll ever need to go to a dealer for.  

Re valve clearances (which I think was the beginning  of this thread )I follow the Honda schedule and find I get really good MPG ~rare to fall below 83 and on a long run will hit 90 so it's worth the effort. Obviously keeping the tyres inflated ,chain properly adjusted and lubed etc is as big a factor but it's the little things that all add to a big smile when I think of the costs of running a bigger more complicated machine. 

• Like 1