Foxy

BMW Recall

Foxy

Went out for a lovely ride this morning and stopped for a cuppa in the mountains above Caseras, bumped into an English bloke on a real Beema GS and he told me that the 310 range has been recalled due to a defective side stand.

Don't recall reading this in the UK  and can't find anything on Google over here,  but if true it looks like I have been a little lucky as I mount the bike whilst it is on the side stand.

I will be in the BMW agents in Ellesmere Port when I get back to Blighty to check this out but thought it might be of interest as a few of us on here have a 310.

• Thanks 2

fred_jb

I had a sit on a baby GS in the dealers when I took my GS in to check out an excessively soft brake pedal.  Nice bike, doesn't seem small at all, but soggy rear suspension on this example (or too much weight on this example of an aging biker!) as when I sat on it the sidestand remained grounded even with the bike upright, and in fact was pushing it over to the right.  I had to fully remove my weight in order to retract it so that the bike could be leveled up.  Goodness know how you manage with a pillion Steve - is there sufficient preload adjustment to raise the bike enough that you can retract the sidestand with you both on board?

Incidentally what was supposed to be a 30 minute bleeding of my brakes turned into "We need to keep the bike for two days".  Seems the BMW service bulletin for this issue involves weighting the brake pedal to keep it depressed for 12 hrs after bleeding, and doing this twice.   Presumably if it doesn't withstand this treatment they have to replace something!  Good job it is under warranty - though I think the job sheet they showed me said that this would be done free out of warranty, so must be a known problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

MikeBike
43 minutes ago, Tex said:

There’s this..

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news/bmw-g310-side-stand-recall-2018

Maybe best not to climb on board using the stand until you check it out.

Strange that they don't know if the problem is a weak sidestand or faulty frame. It says:

2017-2018 BMW G310GS and G310R motorcycles may have weak kickstands or faulty frames which could cause the bike to fall over while parked, increasing risk of injury. BMW owners will be notified and if necessary, kickstands and/or frames will be replaced free of charge.

• Sad 1

Foxy

Bloody hell Tex that's a bit drastic, new frames, fingers crossed mine wont be affected or I'll have ride the thing home again. Hi Fred, so far we have had problems and yes I can retract the stand fine. With regards to pillion riding to be honest, I bought the bike, rode 600 miles and had it serviced, we loaded it up and rode it over a 1,000 miles over here, and about 600 more miles since we reached the appartment.

I havn't even looked at the suspension setting and so far have adjusted the chain 3 times. Les thinks it's the most comfortable bike she has ever been on, and I can honestly say it covers big distances easily and I have no problem with cramp or anything else. 

Reading about your brakes it's sounds like BMW have some issues let's see how I get on with the stand, but so far I am as pleased with the 310 as I am the NC.

Actually I'm just pleased to be motorcycling.

• Like 3

Chris750

I know of one magazine long term bike and an acquaintance who have had broken frames, I also understand production has stopped on this model at present.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/long-term-test-bikes/bmw-long-term-test-bikes/bmw-g310gs-blog-the-day-my-bmw-crashed-itself

Edited by Chris750
Link added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy m

The FEMA list is worth a look once in a while, especially if you fancy anything Italian more expensive than a calezone

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/consumer-information/rapid-alert-system-recalls/

CRF1000 and CRF250 get a mention too. Someone will have been issued a new letter opener over that one. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tex
5 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The FEMA list is worth a look once in a while, especially if you fancy anything Italian more expensive than a calezone.

Dear God!! Andy misses a, heaven sent, opportunity to have a crack at BMW!

Blimey! One can only assume he’s taken his new role as ‘voice of reason’ to heart.. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Andy m

Recalls are progress. The stripped drive splines, snapped chains, snapped forks, rusty shocks, paint that washed off etc. of my day and ring antennas just after were all "they all do that" faults. 

If you divide the number of bikes made by the number recalled, I think the Italians still finish last. BMW may struggle with "Ultimate Riding Machine" based on the number of appearances though. It's all down to the number made and hence the budget per bike. Henry Ford had no paint trouble, once the black worked they just used it and used it. 

Andy

Voice of Reason 😂😂😂😁

• Like 2

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Recalls are progress. The stripped drive splines, snapped chains, snapped forks, rusty shocks, paint that washed off etc. of my day and ring antennas just after were all "they all do that" faults. 

If you divide the number of bikes made by the number recalled, I think the Italians still finish last. BMW may struggle with "Ultimate Riding Machine" based on the number of appearances though. It's all down to the number made and hence the budget per bike. Henry Ford had no paint trouble, once the black worked they just used it and used it. 

Andy

Voice of Reason 😂😂😂😁

Oh how different from the BMWs I knew and loved back in the 70s

• Like 1

MikeBike
1 hour ago, Chris750 said:

I know of one magazine long term bike and an acquaintance who have had broken frames, I also understand production has stopped on this model at present.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/long-term-test-bikes/bmw-long-term-test-bikes/bmw-g310gs-blog-the-day-my-bmw-crashed-itself

He says

... I’ve never spun it around using the stand as a pivot. But I expect a stand to be strong enough for that, and it is something I’ve done regularly with my KTM 1050 Adventure. And every other bike I’ve had for that matter.

Hmmm, strange that he's done it on his other bike and every other bike he's had, but he's never done it on this one... Yeah sure

• Haha 1

Tex
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Oh how different from the BMWs I knew and loved back in the 70s

Oh, I don’t know. One of mine had a lighting relay fail once. Six bloody quid that cost me..   :D 

Loads of old /5 and /6 boxers in the Island, Rock. Most of them pretty standard and with mega miles (kilometres) on the clock. Haven’t ridden one for years, mind. Probably be disappointed if I did, some things are best kept as memories. ;) 

• Thanks 1

Steveb2418

Yea, I remember how thrilled I was with my first Police R80, with an Avon fairing and a phone very close to my crotch, yes best left as a memory :-). 

• Like 2

fred_jb
3 hours ago, Foxy said:

Bloody hell Tex that's a bit drastic, new frames, fingers crossed mine wont be affected or I'll have ride the thing home again. Hi Fred, so far we have had problems and yes I can retract the stand fine. With regards to pillion riding to be honest, I bought the bike, rode 600 miles and had it serviced, we loaded it up and rode it over a 1,000 miles over here, and about 600 more miles since we reached the appartment.

A bit of a pain if you have to ride it home - could you get the fix done in Spain?  Good to be aware of it though so you can keep an eye on it - you don't want it to let go and deposit you both in the road while getting on the bike!

• Like 3

MikeBike

Think I'd not be using it anymore to climb on the bike...

If you are using the ferry with it unrepaired maybe ask for a place near a bulkhead on the sidestand side? At least if it then gave way whilst ratcheted down at sea it would hopefully just lean against the bulkhead and not take out other bikes or fall all the way down...

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

Andy m

You should in theory be able to get it done in Spain. While we are in the EU single market you have the same cover regardless of where you bought the bike. 

If they get arsey, (if has been known) ask BMW UK for a contact in BMW Spain and clearly state you wish to exercise your rights under the single market. It may or may not wake them up, but worth an e-mail. 

Andy

• Like 1

Tex

Both Fred and Mike make excellent points. The BMW warranty certainly covers a U.K. reg bike in Spain and that’s far less hassle.

Mike is bang on, too. If you can get on without climbing on using the stand you really should! And his point about the ferry is well worth thinking about. 

Edit: Andy replied while I was typing, sound (and ‘reasonable’!) advice there too. :) 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2

pjm

Fred, one of the reasons I eventually backed my GS1200LC was the truly awful rear brake. It went in to be ‘power bled’ twice but was still the most random bite position I had ever experienced. As I have said before I wish rear brakes still ‘bit’ rather than me having to push so hard to get any feel when looking to use them to stop and not just low speed control.

• Like 1

fred_jb
11 minutes ago, Tex said:

Both Fred and Mike make excellent points. The BMW warranty certainly covers a U.K. reg bike in Spain and that’s far less hassle.

Mike is bang on, too. If you can get on without climbing on using the stand you really should! And his point about the ferry is well worth thinking about. 

Edit: Andy replied while I was typing, sound (and ‘reasonable’!) advice there too. :) 

Yes, the ferry is a bit of a worry as they tend to rachet down hard against the side stand.  Strangely, on a recent trip I was asked, for the first time ever, to put the bike on its centre stand.  I think it may have been because they were fitting in two lines of bikes close together and leaning would have made them wider.

• Like 1

Andy m
8 minutes ago, pjm said:

Fred, one of the reasons I eventually backed my GS1200LC was the truly awful rear brake. It went in to be ‘power bled’ twice but was still the most random bite position I had ever experienced. As I have said before I wish rear brakes still ‘bit’ rather than me having to push so hard to get any feel when looking to use them to stop and not just low speed control.

A chap at work (5'6 & 61years old) was telling me how he'd avoiding having to "trade down" because his new R1200 has some sort of hill start/anti-roll back function where it holds the back brake so you can use all your strength to hold it up. It's basically firing the ABS modulator to stop pressure coming off the calliper. I wonder what (if anything) they changed other than the software to do this? Related? 

Andy

• Like 1

fred_jb
8 minutes ago, pjm said:

Yes I agree.  I like the brake pedal to be well up so as to work immediately, and to get a good feel for rear braking effort.   As it is, the brake still works fine, but only after angling your foot down at quite a steep angle to take up the slack which is not great should you need to apply full pressure. One of the problems I suspect is that they may try to shortcut the brake bleeding procedure when the brakes are bled at the 6000 mile service. To do it properly requires the bike to be connected to the diagnostics computer to open up the ABS pump. If that is not done I think air can be left in the system, and then eventually make its way to the rear brake, though I also read somewhere that that there were a batch of faulty cylinders or ABS components which can ingest air into the system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

fred_jb
44 minutes ago, Andy m said:

A chap at work (5'6 & 61years old) was telling me how he'd avoiding having to "trade down" because his new R1200 has some sort of hill start/anti-roll back function where it holds the back brake so you can use all your strength to hold it up. It's basically firing the ABS modulator to stop pressure coming off the calliper. I wonder what (if anything) they changed other than the software to do this? Related? 

Andy

Yes, and if your bike is the right age, something like 2014 onwards I think, you can have it retrofitted as just a software mod for about £200, albeit needing an activation code from the mothership, so no way to avoid the fee. It is activated just by squeezing the front brake lever hard while stationary, and is very useful in some situations, especially when heavily loaded with pillion and luggage.   I think it works just by using the ABS valves to lock the pressure in the brake lines, and as the brakes are linked, front to rear, this probably activates both front and rear brakes.  I don't see why this would affect the rear brake pedal or cause it to start off high but gradually drop down over a period of time, which is what happened with mine, but who knows!

There are a couple of issues - firstly it is deactivated when the ignition goes off, so cannot be used as a handbrake, and secondly it needs a lot of force to overcome it when you set off.  It nearly had me off the first time I (accidentally) activated it, as when the bike seemed reluctant to move I instinctively pulled the clutch to avoid a stall and then tried again, resulting in a kangaroo hop type start. Even when you know it is on and give it more revs to compensate, it is very difficult to get a smooth start, so on the odd occasion I use it I now I generally deactivate it with another pull of the brake lever before setting off.

Edited by fred_jb

Andy m

Other hydraulic modulators had the seals and solenoids beefed up when hill hold was introduced. The classic ABS cycle check-hold-release-hold is a couple of times a second plus a superimposed feedback buzz. The heat in the solenoid was carried away by the fluid it let go and the seals were allowed to reform during full cycles. When held for minutes this didn't occur so they Teflon coated the coils and used different seals. BMW either had the function in their back pocket waiting for testing/marketing or chanced it. Cooked coils would just bring the light on, but seals can let air in. 

Pure speculation of course and in my new Voice of Reason role I would never mention the testers club 😈😁😁 

Andy

• Haha 3

Tex

5 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Pure speculation of course and in my new Voice of Reason role I would never mention the testers club 😈😁😁 

Andy

Just to clarify - this new ‘reasonable’ Andy? Is he going to be a permanent fixture? Only, if I’m honest, I rather liked the old one! And I don’t want to say ‘goodbye’ to him just yet.. :( 

• Haha 2

suffolk58

I think I posted this once before: https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/who-makes-most-reliable-motorcycles

I won't spoilt it for those who want to try the quiz, but the most reliable bike starts with the letter Y and the least reliable with the letter B.

Mind you the report includes Victory Motorcycles, who no longer exist (as a producer of new bikes...the old ones are still about).

• Like 1